• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Menotomy East

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    This would be the area of the April 19,1775 battles from about the Lexington line at Menotomy/West Cambridge (now Arlington) to the east.

When the British came through early in the morning everyone was asleep. By mid afternoon Minuteman Companies had met in arlington to pound on the retreating British and some of the days sharpest fighting happened in the town.

The old road was Paul Revere Road, so named because that is the road he was on when he was warning of the Regular Troops marching on Concord....

GL2FBCcl.jpg

Looking west toward Lexington/Concord...the main road was the road the Brits marched into Lexington Green on.

KL6UBiUl.jpg

Revere Road, what would have been the old Post road to Lexington and Concord is on a ridge....

ygePWsdl.jpg

The straight shot is on low land and there is a brook to the left of this scene. I suspect it was wetland unsuitable for a road until much later when they could engineer away the water issues. Now it is Arlington Heights - promoting mask useage but not by me.

YRgu0n4l.jpg

Paul Revere Road crossing Park Avenue, still on the ridge....

VmebUbPl.jpg

Looking down into the wetlands....

XkPQYacl.jpg

British flankers would have been between this point and the wetlands flanking the main body of British troops, The hottest battles were between flankers north or south of the main body and the Colonists set up to ambush the main body.

Paul Revere Road east...the British main body would have been retreating this way.

WvPvjhhl.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jonny_ and candyx
    Just North of Paul Revere Road was one of these hot firefights between the Colonists and the Flankers...

nuF8o4tl.jpg

dqyUaG3l.jpg

Some rocks to indicate it was the Foot of the Rocks.....

Y3q7RKZl.jpg

Probably paid little attention by the people going to Dunkin Donuts across the street..

wJ6Q7cwl.jpg

Arlington produced other people with balls.....hardly anymore but they did....

qNgpzBzl.jpg

The old route coming off the ridge returning to the old Post Road, now Massachusetts Avenue....

9EBiDA3l.jpg

The Catholic church I went to, now a Greek Orthodox church that my kids were baptized in.....

PX964OYl.jpg

No half staff shit by the hour for the Greeks.....Married Priests, no Pope, realizing people are flawed and so are their members....wife is Greek orthodox (not that either of us attend) and its a pretty good way to say Hi to God if you are inclined to do so....

i1vuUMtl.jpg

"Ghost Bike" across from the church....

Rj2Fbzol.jpg

Get killed on your bike in liberal Mass they will paint a bike up white to have town workers bitch about and dogs to piss on.

Monstrosity of a high school being built.....they dont even let kids go to school.

ZpnQpRWl.jpg

Ill be paying an extra $1K per year for who knows how long and we intend on sending the kids to private school. My money wasted.

Last edited:
    All deep within enemy territory now unfortunately.... The minuteman are Rolling in their graves at what New England has become

Last edited:
    • Sad
    Reactions: pmclaine
    Back to the History....

6J0nM7zl.jpg

The Jason Russell House is described as the place with the most killing of the day...

Another example of how ballsy but how unprepared the Colonists were.

While waiting for the main body of Brits to come down the Post Road the flankers came in behind them and caught them unaware. Running in to the Russell house for safety many were slaughtered including Jason Russell on his door step......his reported statement on why he was not leaving his house for safety....

"An Englishman's house is his castle."

Old men in Menotomy had balls back than. I dont picture Jason Russell wearing a mask.

Tomorrow is a big day for this house and the man lift out front tells me there is no plan to commemorate it...

MBNlA8yl.jpg

The house is not in its original setting. It once fronted the Post Road, now its 90 degrees to it.

This was on a telephone pole at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Jason Street (where the house sits)....

wtJsSbll.jpg

Can anyone translate schizophrenia?

OT0whFXl.jpg

These signs are cool....

yUmMbyNl.jpg

They are placed in various spots around MA since 1930. Usually they are silver background with black writing, Arlington has "blinged" theirs up. There is probably a website dedicated to visiting them all throughout the Commonwealth.

KQmZLukl.jpg

This used to be the old Greek Orthodox church....

pZimLtdl.jpg

Now its dedicated to some Universalist thing that worships everything and stands for nothing.

'Nother one of those 1930 era signs I hadnt been aware of....

khLooNpl.jpg

Last edited:
    This is the intersection of Post Road (Massachusetts Avenue) and Pleasant Street.

xZqpyInl.jpg

This is likely the last spot of real battle on April 19, 1775. East of here the Brits linked up with a relief force and they were too strong for the Colonists to fuck around and find out.

The capture of these troops it has been told was by a slave woman "Mother Batherick".

I never heard the story this way early on but it seemed later it came about with that detail. I kind of suspected early "wokeism". But I dont know....

Seems like the Appleseed People have some discussion concerning the historical record....

At this corner is a Church....

It used to be a typical New England, wood steeple church.

1618761442449.png

I remember this as a kid 1975...worker smoking buts while in the steeple...

1618761374671.png

Rebuilt....

hXUZW85l.jpg

Now worships everything, believes in nothing.

The cemetery behind the church.....

WKkzQw0l.jpg

sXCzvX6l.jpg

Yxw5iw8l.jpg

Jason Russell's individual stone...

GVYkdAml.jpg

This is the common grave of those killed fighting in the Jason Russell house...

1618761676758.png

Last edited:
    Diagonal across the street from the church.....Whittemore Park.

tR3vXQzl.jpg

59kZBqgl.jpg

ChvR1GRl.jpg

7V3XFqrl.jpg

Old guys didnt fuck around back than....

kW2QlYcl.jpg

His stone in the old cemetery...

M0BJzUvl.jpg

His wife....

w9laJjZl.jpg

Reactions: Jonny_
    Uncle Sam slept here too...

7kOSz6bl.jpg

9lO5xpSl.jpg

and on my walk home another Memorial to a more modern bad ass.....

uc9PYeUl.jpg

PAkOCkIl.jpg

B9nbbsml.jpg

Back home....what I have a summer of listening to....

Z4UCqwol.jpg