• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mental excercises

sled_mack

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2008
Slatington, PA
My doctor recommended starting to use puzzles and mental games to keep my mind sharp. I've seen the Luminosity web site. They claim to use mental challenge games to improve mental response. Anyone know if there is any validity to their claims? Is it worth paying the price to get the full access to their site?

Thanks.

I have some short-term memory issues, so I did the Luminosity thing, plus the "brain age" thing. I really didn't see any improvement from them. Both of these programs are similar to the ANAM the military uses to check for TBI. It's all about confusion and speed, see?

Your doctor knows more about your individual case, however, and I suggest taking the advice you paid him to give...

Good luck!

My doctor didn't give any specific advice, even when asked. Just said I was getting to that age (45) where memory loss can start becoming an issue and doing some sort of puzzles might help. Also, my grandmother had Alzheimer's (didn't surface till she was over 90) and the doc said it is "somewhat believed" that puzzle games help delay the onset of Alzheimer's.

I should have been clearer in my OP that I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks.

After a couple years of retirement and not doing much mentally challenging, I noticed my short term memory was deteriorating. I signed up for Lumosity over a year ago, and have seen consistent improvement in my weekly scores. My wife commented that my short term memory has shown definite improvement.
I have several Vets with TBI who are now using it and have said they feel things are improving with their memories.

I don't have any memory issues myself, but have read that crosswords, soduko's, etc. definately help keep your mind sharp. Reading complex material can also help. With that being said, if you have any interest in reading books about science, econmics, etc. that may also help keep things sharp. Physical exercise also can help keep the mind sharp. Good luck!

I'm in the miltary and associated with the medical side of the house. With the War on Terror, we now have a lot of data on traumatic brain injury and the Army has invested quite a bit in something called Neurofeedback. It has had some really nice results in sort rewiring brain connections, or perhaps a better term is rerouting. When the brain is injured and certain parts of the brain are damaged thenbrain is able to rewire and perform functions. Neurofeedback essentially trains the brain to use new paths. The side benefit of this is that anyone can take advantage of this treatment and one can see marked improvements in the function of the brain, processing speeds, better memory, etc. The fundamental principle is based in the fact that your brain doesn't always wire itself in the most efficient manner. Your brain is a true multitasking unit. You can breath, walk, talk, smell, and be thinking about that cute little brunette - all at the same time. The problem is that all those functions may not be performed at optimal efficiency. In fact, some things may be much slower at processing than others. What Neurologists hav found is that people with learning disabilities, ie like ADHD typify a pattern where a cognitive skill like thinking of an idea or remembering something, gets slowed down in being effectively being convey to someone else by another brain function like an oral processing skill - failing to speak or better yet forming the right words to convey an idea whereby the cognitive part of the brain is moving so fast the other parts of the brain can't keep up. What appears to the the outward world of those witnessing the event is someone is tongue tied or can't get out a great idea or write it down quickly. This example is just one of many types of disconnects that so-called normal brains have and that we tend to group in such disorders like ADHD. Now, thing of an injured brained, where cognitive or processing is damaged. You can clearly see where someone who gets hurt with a traumatic brain injury from a concusive blast and this forms the basis for the need of repair of the processing of brain function. Without getting too technical, Neurofeedback begins by mapping the various parts of the brain, how well they are interconnected and functioning and then compares that mapping to what are considered normal functioning base lines. Wherever there are sub- optimal connectivity and processing speed, those form the basis for a very specific therapy. For the brain injury patient one gets back some ability to talk, for example, where the speech was lacking. This rerouting or optimizing of brain connections can benefit the normal person too. By improving the neural connectivity, processing speeds can go up. New pathways for processing different thoughts can be done in parallel instead of sequentially. A good analogy is what is faster, a single line with 20 people waiting on one cashier or 10 lines with twenty peole waiting and ten cashiers? I would encourage anyone interested in this therapy to read up about it and then go get a brain mapping and see if it doesn't show a diffenrence. I am not suggesting that you will suddenly become some sort of multitasking genius like the movie "Limitless" but with therapy and then follow-on regular engagement of mental exercise can see some long term benefits.

Apologies for the typos- using my wife's I-Pad is an adventure

Last edited:
Map reading from what I have seen helps and from what I have read helps. It's like a puzzle, drive around or a part time job , gps is wrong a lot and so are local maps forcing you to recall things. Also try sensory deprivations tanks heard a lot on them and how they are supposed to help the brain heal.

Last edited:
My own experience is with my son who had some neurofeedback. He definitely showed some improvement. However, because it was a sample of one, it is often difficult to draw too much from the therapy and not include other contributing factors; age, maturity, learning in general. However, what I do know is the US Mililtary has invested a lot of money into this therapy and are convinced it provides short to medium term positive results. I think more long term testing should be done and perhaps with some specific controls for useful comparison of results.