• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Meopta KDot Reticle

nightman89

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2020
Leavenworth, KS
I've been looking really hard at the Meopta Optika6 2.5-15x44 scope that cameraland has on the clearance page. It's a SFP scope, and it looks ideal for a hunting optic with the clean reticle and the red dot center. My hang-up at the moment is that I don't have a rifle in mind for this optic, so I was curious if any optics experts could weigh in on what calibers might match the reticle. Specifically, with the given dimensions of the reticle, what round would most closely line up with the subtensions out to around 500 yards? Or is this question asking too much without testing it out on a specific rifle? I'm trying to justify purchasing this scope since Doug has such a good price on it, and if somebody has actual experience or happens to have ballistic data handy that lines up with this reticle, that would be great. Thanks!
kdot.png

Here are most of mine from strelok.

6.5 cm, 143 eldx
Screenshot_20200918-184003_Strelok Pro.jpg

308 win, 178 eldx
Screenshot_20200918-184030_Strelok Pro.jpg

223, 55gr
Screenshot_20200918-184053_Strelok Pro.jpg

6mm grendel, 90 gr
Screenshot_20200918-184113_Strelok Pro.jpg

6mm grendel, 58 gr
Screenshot_20200918-184131_Strelok Pro.jpg

6mm cm, 108gr. This is just an educated guess I was doing some research on but shiuld be close.
Screenshot_20200918-184152_Strelok Pro.jpg

The bottom of the circle should be at about 2.5 moa, too. They say its designed for a 223, my chart above is with a 16 inch barrel and pretty minimal load development, so you could probably dial it in better to line up.

The bottom of the circle should be at about 2.5 moa, too. They say its designed for a 223, my chart above is with a 16 inch barrel and pretty minimal load development, so you could probably dial it in better to line up.

Thanks for the tables! The 6.5 CM data looked to follow pretty close to the reticle holdovers. Really appreciate you taking the time to post that.

The only good thing about that reticle is the red dot. One size fits most BDC reticles is a shitty idea on any scope especially a SFP hunting scope. If you plan to take long shots on game why not dial the correct elevation to be as accurate as possible if you prefer to hold use a MIL or MOA based reticle and FFP so you don't have to worry about what magnification it is set on.......JMO

The only good thing about that reticle is the red dot. One size fits most BDC reticles is a shitty idea on any scope especially a SFP hunting scope. If you plan to take long shots on game why not dial the correct elevation to be as accurate as possible if you prefer to hold use a MIL or MOA based reticle and FFP so you don't have to worry about what magnification it is set on.......JMO

Valid opinion... Perhaps I am looking at this from the wrong angle. Scrap the idea of using the BDC and just dial in the field. Thanks for your advice/

I've been looking really hard at the Meopta Optika6 2.5-15x44 scope that cameraland has on the clearance page. It's a SFP scope, and it looks ideal for a hunting optic with the clean reticle and the red dot center. My hang-up at the moment is that I don't have a rifle in mind for this optic, so I was curious if any optics experts could weigh in on what calibers might match the reticle. Specifically, with the given dimensions of the reticle, what round would most closely line up with the subtensions out to around 500 yards? Or is this question asking too much without testing it out on a specific rifle? I'm trying to justify purchasing this scope since Doug has such a good price on it, and if somebody has actual experience or happens to have ballistic data handy that lines up with this reticle, that would be great. Thanks!
kdot.png

Do you not know how to develop a trajectory using JBM or some other program?

BDC reticles can be very effective when their limitations are understood. Not every situation needs a mil/mil FFP scope.

I've dropped more than a few deer out to 400 yards with a 30-06 and a Burris Fullfield II (which has a BDC reticle) on top.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
Do you not know how to develop a trajectory using JBM or some other program?

No, I am not familiar with JBM or most of the other programs. I have fiddled with the Strelock app, but if you have one that you would recommend I would definitely check it out.

BDC reticles can be very effective when their limitations are understood. Not every situation needs a mil/mil FFP scope.

I've dropped more than a few deer out to 400 yards with a 30-06 and a Burris Fullfield II (which has a BDC reticle) on top.

That was somewhat my thought, that if someone had load data that pointed to a trajectory roughly correlating to this particular reticle, that would give me a starting point to develop a load tailored to this scope. Just wanted to narrow the field a bit before committing.

I am not saying SFP BDC reticles can’t be effective I had a Nikon Monarch with a SFP BDC reticle that I took many deer with. For me I think the perfect hunting reticle is something like Sig’s Hellfire TripleX in a SFP scope with MIL or MOA adjustable turrets. No clutter, don’t have to worry about what magnification you are on, can be seen pretty good on low or high power, single red dot for illumination. Range your animal, dial your elevation and or wind, place dot where you want bullet to go.
1600532932613.jpeg

No, I am not familiar with JBM or most of the other programs. I have fiddled with the Strelock app, but if you have one that you would recommend I would definitely check it out.

You need to learn to use at least one ballistic program. Doesn't matter which.

You will never, ever fully understand this game until you do. And you will always be at the mercy of others to figure out what your load is doing.

It's a fundamental part of being a competent rifleman.