• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Meopta MeoStar R2 1-6x24 vs Leupold VX-6HD 1-6x24mm

stemikel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2020
Looking to add a 1-6x LPVO to a 5.56 with a 16 inch barrel. I may take it out to a few hundred yards for coyotes on a friend's farm. Can anyone offer an opinion on these two? Hoping to keep the cost of the optic under $1500. Meopta looks nice, but I cannot find much information on the Meostar R2 1-6.

Thanks in advance.

I recently went with the VX6HD 1-6, because EuroOptic had one model on sale under $1000 and for 30-30 you don’t benefit from BDC within hunting range - you run out of expansion velocity before you drop out of minute-of-deer.

If you want anything but a plex reticle, you’d need to go with the Meopta. Call Doug at CameraLandNY and mention the Hide; he’ll hook you up well.

If you don’t mind a bit more weight, the Razor HD Gen II 1-6 can be an excellent choice.

I recently went with the VX6HD 1-6, because EuroOptic had one model on sale under $1000 and for 30-30 you don’t benefit from BDC within hunting range - you run out of expansion velocity before you drop out of minute-of-deer.

If you want anything but a plex reticle, you’d need to go with the Meopta. Call Doug at CameraLandNY and mention the Hide; he’ll hook you up well.

If you don’t mind a bit more weight, the Razor HD Gen II 1-6 can be an excellent choice.

This reply really didnt answer much. He pretty much reiterated forum jargon and said call doug about meopta. I dont have an R2 but I hope someone here does and can help you with what you need.

This reply really didnt answer much. He pretty much reiterated forum jargon and said call doug about meopta. I dont have an R2 but I hope someone here does and can help you with what you need.

Well, I addressed budget, mentioned reticle choices as a key differentiator, suggested an alternative for the intended purpose with a notable tradeoff, and suggested that the explicitly mentioned alternative scope - which I have - isn’t suitable for the intended purpose. What more do you want, a picture book?

Meanwhile, your post was “this other guy didn’t say anything, and I’m not going to say anything either.”

To the OP:
  • Both of those scopes are indeed in budget. Doug is your best bet for saving some money on the Meopta.
  • The Leupold doesn’t have any reticles that would be useful for shooting coyotes at several hundred yards. I imagine you don’t have much interest in dialing, like 99% of LPVO users.
  • The Razor 1-6 is heavier but well-regarded, with useful reticles. It’s also in budget.
  • All of the scopes mentioned have illumination, which is useful for LPVOs in general.
  • Meopta generally has good glass and good low-light performance. I haven’t looked through this scope in particular, nor do I know anyone who has, nor have I seen it reviewed on this forum, or by people whose opinions I generally respect, because Meopta really isn’t that well known in the US market. That’s more a marketing thing than a product suitability thing.

Thanks for the thoughts. I looked at the Razor and really did not like the reticle. Just a personal preference. I plan to speak with Doug once I have narrowed the field down a little bit.

I really appreciate anyone with Meopta experience chiming in.

I have been working with Meopta for about 18 months now and I can attest that the glass is excellent. Clear and very good in low light as described above. I did have the R2 1-6 4C but changed to the Optika6 1-6x24 KDot. A very nicely built scope, built like a tank and for my uses the KDOT reticle gets the job done. You can dial in the reticle using Strelok Pro for those longer shots. My son is now using the scope on his competition carbine while I wait on another one. They sell quickly and you may have a hard time finding one. You can spend the extra $ on the R2 and the glass is better. I just happen to like the Optika6 1-6x24 configuration.

DSC_0149(1).jpeg

Reactions: 308pirate
For $1500, have you looked into getting a used Kahles k16i or Nightforce NX8 1-8? Both can be found for about $1500 on PX.

Might want to include the Steiner T5Xi 1-5X in your search.

I don’t have the Meopta scope you’re looking for, but I do have a Meopta Meostar R1 scope in 4-16 and I really like the glass. It performs very well in low light as previously stated, but that’s compared to a Gen II PST 3-15 and the Vortex HD LH. The Razor 5-20 I have is really good glass to me, but for using it hunting, 5 power was a bit much on the low end for me. I know you aren’t looking for any of the scopes I mentioned, I just wanted to give you a perspective in regards to what I was comparing my Meopta scope to. Hope it helps

Reactions: stemikel
Thanks for your thoughts on the Meopta. It will most likely come down to what type of deal I can get for either that or the Kahles.

Thanks for that link. I did not see the review. The Meopta really sounds like a good product. Can I assume that your 1-4 is (summertime) daylight bright?

1597684535803.png

I cant speak for the R1 1-6. I spent my Rona time looking at the 1-4.

But yes the 1-4 ZD it is very bright as others described Red Dot bright. Pic shown is not the best but its on setting 5 of 7 there. Not trying to derail but just share what I know of the ZD I have. Its eye box is very generous on 1x. The Meostar is dated yet vetted flagship models.

The Optica6 budget models pulled me into looking at Meopta, but from what i gathered Optika6 line is not daylight bright. Although I still have plans to purchase an Optika6 someday.

Like most makers, they offer LEO/MIL discounts if you qualify. If not I have seen R1's in the demo / open box among vendors at considerable savings. Also used listed show up here occasionally.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/meopta-zd-1-4x22-750-shipped-firm.6935925/#post-7642064 ZD 1-4 for $750 shipped possibly available?

If you do wind up getting a Meopta I highly recommend taking advantage of a Green Light Precision cat tails made by Charlie Drissel Custom fit CNC throw lever.They are model specific and well made, thought out. Can't beat $25 shipped vs $70. Once they are gone they are gone.

2012 Catalog PDF I found was pretty neat info. Kind of unique seeing Tank optics in a scope catalog er ah "Katalog".

Last edited:
That really looks great. I love that reticle. It certainly is bright. Unfortunately, it is only available in the 1-4x.

So not sure if this is a dead forum but I'm also considering the VX-6HD 1-6 and the Meostar R2 1-6. I haven't been able to look through either scope but I like the features of both.

Seems to me the consensus is that Meopta has the clearer glass. While the Leupold might have brighter illumination and better battery life (from the shake awake system).

Anybody know which is better from a eye box/ relief perspective? Getting danger close to purchasing one of these two. Appreciate any advise.

I have a VX 6 HD red Circle dot CMR reticle which is great.
BUT the illumination is NOT daylight bright against light backgrounds like sky, white paper. The reticle is nicely visible even with the illumination off.
The firedot might be daylight bright but that only comes in the BDC afaik

Reactions: TanJ197
This gent put out a decent video review on the Meostar 1-6 . I wound up getting one but have not taken it out yet. I thought a point worth mentioning is the power lever on the R2 is butter smooth.

One thing to note on the video is the battery type. In a pinch It can also use two CR2032 batteries vs 1 of the thicker CR2354. CR2032 will have less life span. Hope that helps.

I had a Meopta r2 1-6 with BDC2 reticle. Excellent glass, daylight visible dot, BDC reticle that can be configured to your load with their website calculator, huge eye box with very little scope body surround. The scope really popped and was great in low light.

My brother really wanted it and I was going away from BDC SFP optics so I ordered a March 1-10 DR and he took the Meopta. He loves it too.

This gent put out a decent video review on the Meostar 1-6 . I wound up getting one but have not taken it out yet. I thought a point worth mentioning is the power lever on the R2 is butter smooth.

One thing to note on the video is the battery type. In a pinch It can also use two CR2032 batteries vs 1 of the thicker CR2354. CR2032 will have less life span. Hope that helps.
Hey thanks for the info! I hope you can whip that bad boy out soon and give us a small review! I'm leaning towards the Meostar but I'm so indecisive.

I had a Meopta r2 1-6 with BDC2 reticle. Excellent glass, daylight visible dot, BDC reticle that can be configured to your load with their website calculator, huge eye box with very little scope body surround. The scope really popped and was great in low light.

My brother really wanted it and I was going away from BDC SFP optics so I ordered a March 1-10 DR and he took the Meopta. He loves it too.
Really glad to hear about the eye box and scope body. Being able to get on target fast and have as much peripheral awareness is important to me.

Everything I'm reading is saying the Meostar R2 is daylight bright, is that the consensus? I'm interested in this scope as well.

Reactions: Frank_Castle
Good news guys! I have both scopes coming for evaluation around the 15th of August. Once I get them I'll try and give you guys some honest feedback and hopefully some pics through the scopes in various situations too.

Reactions: gnochi and JDB55
Good news guys! I have both scopes coming for evaluation around the 15th of August. Once I get them I'll try and give you guys some honest feedback and hopefully some pics through the scopes in various situations too.
Sweet, would love to see your thoughts and overall opinions :)

Some observations that I found from an immediate comparison.

1.) Leupold is brighter (my opinion it's super bright not just daylight bright). Meopta is plenty bright definitely daylight bright for my standards
2.) Build quality goes to Meopta. The throw of the magnification lever, diopter, and windage/elevation adjustments are simply better. The Leupold magnification lever feels ever so slightly gritty, barely noticeable though. It's also a little stiff. The diopter is stiff too. The Meopta is smooth like silk but doesn't move when you don't want it to.
3.) Meopta elevation/windage dials are tactile and audible. Perfect. The Leupold has the cool CDS tech but they're mushy and DON'T line up perfect to the white line at the base of the turrets. Stupid and lazy on Leupold's part.
4.) Illuminated reticle adjustment. Kind of goes without saying but the dial is better on the Meopta than the Leupold's button.
5.) Leupold is shorter which is nice.
6.) If you're slightly out of the eyebox and using the bindon sight method your eye will superimpose the red dot of the Leupold on the target, NOT so on the Meopta. This is probably a big deal for 3 gunners.
7.) With the last observation I feel like there's less scope body surrounding the ocular lens while viewing through the Leupold. Gives you that "melt away" feeling so many talk about with the Vortex Razor
8.) I think I prefer the bold 4C reticle of the Meopta but the Leupold has a smaller center dot for precise shots.

Both scopes are very nice. I really like both. Stand by for more updates this weekend.

More observations..

FOV, Eye relief, eye box are all too similar to declare a winner. Both scopes had a eye relief from right around 2.5" to 5" with 3.75" being ideal.

I definitely prefer the 4C reticle of the Meopta over the standard duplex reticle in the Leupold. Easier target acquisition in my opinion.

Clarity- I'm going to put a disclaimer here first. I'm not a optical engineer, nor am I a rifle scope aficionado. Additionally my sample size was 1 scope from each manufacturer. I thought the Leupold felt more like I was looking through a pane of glass, whereas the Meopta felt more like a sphere. The center was just as clear as the Leupold, but the edges had some blur. If I focused on the edge it would come into focus. Once I returned to center it would come back.

At the end of the day I went with the Leupold. I think the overall quality would go to Meopta, it really is a tank that still manages to be light weight compared to similar optics. The Leupold just had too many features (lens covers, throw lever, melt away feeling, cds turret tech, better glass) to pass up. Plus if for whatever reason I have a problem with the Leupold the warranty reassures me that it will be taken care of.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Reactions: JDB55