• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Meopta ZD 1-4 vs. Vortex Razor 1-6

sasquatch98226

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2007
Has anyone seen both and can give opinons on them. I realize it is like comparing tangerines to oranges, they are close but not the same. But both appear to be a good option for 3-gun. The Meopta can be had for about a little over 1/2 of the Vortex. Is the extra money worth the 2x?

Re: Meopta ZD 1-4 vs. Vortex Razor 1-6

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sasquatch98226</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone seen both and can give opinons on them. I realize it is like comparing tangerines to oranges, they are close but not the same. But both appear to be a good option for 3-gun. The Meopta can be had for about a little over 1/2 of the Vortex. Is the extra money worth the 2x? </div></div>

The Razor MAPs at 1399.....the Meopta at 999 so the question should be reversed.

For me, my decision would be based on weight and reticle offerings.

I have never even seen the Meopta, and it may be great.

But I own the Razor HD 1-6 and it is an exceptional optic. It is pricey, but it is a bargain. Literally built like a tank, and you have to hump the weight accordingly.

If you're building a lightweight build, it may not be right for you. But that is the only thing even close to a negative in my opinion. And even that negative has the upside of brute toughness.

The glass is just exceptional, and so far, it has proven dead nuts reliable and consistent. To be fair, I have only shot it to 650, but it is a 1-6 and for me I'd need more power to shoot much further.

You really should at least try one before buying. I have always had phenomenal luck with Vortex in general, and I was real excited prior to getting it. But this has been one of the few items I've purchased that completely exceeded my expectations once receiving it.

And then you toss in their CS and perfect warranty, combined with good resale and it is a great package.

As far as I am concerned, if someone could figure out how to bring all these features together giving up nothing, and maybe shave 4-5 oz off it, while keeping the same price point, they would have created the perfect optic IMO.

Good luck with whatever you get bro.

I would say that these would be a fair comparison. I think they are both execellent choices. The Meopta is a little overpriced now because of scopes like the Razor having caught up. I believe the Meopta will have just as nice of glass and a brighter reticule. The reticules are both similar in function. If you can swing it, the Vortex to me looks nicer in person. But the Meopta is a fantastic scope that I used last year at the Texas Multigun Championship. Both are great and I don't think you could make a bad choice.

Haven't used the Vortex but am currently running the Meopta
It is a great scope for close in to 500 yards.
Fairly compact which I like and outstanding glass.

I would say it would come down to reticle preference and use.
If doing a lot of longer shots the extra 2x might be beneficial

But I also don't think there is a big difference in 2x even at 500 for hitting steel.
That may just be me..

The Vortex is better, if that's what you want to know . . .

Has anyone seen both and can give opinons on them. I realize it is like comparing tangerines to oranges, they are close but not the same. But both appear to be a good option for 3-gun. The Meopta can be had for about a little over 1/2 of the Vortex. Is the extra money worth the 2x?

Old post, but . . .

I have the Vortex Razor 1-4x24 and the Meopta ZD 1-4x22. Both are very good telescopes, but the Vortex is optically superior by usual standards. Edge to edge clarity and field flatness favors the Vortex. Color rendition differs slightly between the two, but that isn't important for riflescopes. The reticle design is simpler in the Meopta, SFP vs a busier 5.56-specific FFP in the Vortex. Both are illuminated, red LED, and max to min appear similar. As far as build quality goes, they have different finishes, the Razor with a dark brown anodized and the Meopta with a semi-matte black.

The Razor is a higher-spec and overall better optic at a predictably higher price, although not as high as the scopes it should be compared with on features.

A fairer comparison would be between the Vortex Viper and the Meopta ZD, at least from price and feature. The Viper is less expensive than the street price on the Meopta.

I shot the Meopta ZD for about a year before switching to the Swaro 1-6x for 3 gun. A ZD can be had for around $750 with a good mount if you look around and buy used. It is a great scope for the game, especially if your local matches don't run much past 300 yards. The extra mag on the Vortex is huge past that. The reticle on the Vortex is a little easier to use also for long range. The dot on the Meopta is very fast up close and the illumination is the best I've ever seen, but to be honest I like the way a black reticle looks on almost every target better than red illumination. I'm not sure how tough the Meoptas are also, I had a K-Dot lose its focus when switching mag and it had to go back to the factory (which they did fix by sending me a new scope, in a timely manner). My ZD lost its focus or at least I inadvertently moved the focus ring while it was slung, but it has behaved itself lately as a coyote/hog scope on my .308 AR. The Vortex is a step up on the Meopta, but the Meopta is a great scope for the game, and whether the upgrade is worth it or not depends on how you're going to use it.

Vortex beats the shit out of Meopta ZD tactical just about in any area of comparison except for the size and weight. It's gotter better optics equaled only by scopes such as Kahles Helia 5 or Swarovski Z6. It's got no tube sight, huge eye box and much better mechanics in terms of precision and quality of clicks. These 2 scopes don't even play in the same league.