• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mesa bottom metal/Magpul magazine issue

dbow

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2018
I have a greyboe stock with a Mesa M5 bottom metal in it that is dropping mags after I take a shot. The odd part is it only drops the magazine if there are 2 or less rounds in the mag. When I load up ten rounds I can fire 1-8 without an issue but the last few shots always cause the mag to fall out.

Anyone ever experience a similar issue?

Yes, it does snap all the way in. I can not pull the magazine out by hand once snapped in. I’ve used Magpul magazines as well as a MDT polymer acis style mag that also comes unlatched but does not fall all the way out because it’s a much tighter fit than the Magpul magazines.

The latch seemed like it didn’t provide much tension so I did remove the release and stretched the spring very slightly. Latch is tighter now but I haven’t been able to test if it fixed the issue.

Might ask if Mesa has a spring they can send you. I've seen springs fail. Most likely not heat treated properly.

That’s a good idea. I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see that they think.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully it’s just a spring issue. I can’t think of anything else at this point but y’all know a lot more than I do so I thought I would ask.