• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Metal refinishing options

MJY65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2011
Minnesota
I have a 15 year old Remington 700 VSSF (308). It has the HS Precision stock (black/gray web). The barrel and action are matte SS. I'm thinking about having the metal refinished to something more subtle. Obviously, quick and cheap is rattle can flat black. Going up the line Duracoat, Cerakote, Teflon. Any I've missed? Opinions on best way to go for a hunting rifle?

Thanks,
Mike

I'm partial to rattlecan camo, myself. If you don't like it, strip it and try again. If you really can't get it to look decent, then send it off to be Cerakoted.

For like $75 you can have it re-blasted back like new; unless you are just wanting to paint it.

For like $75 you can have it re-blasted back like new; unless you are just wanting to paint it.

The finish is actually in good condition, just a little bright for a hunting rifle. I think black would be better than silver.

If you're not looking to go cheap, Robar offers some nice metal finishing options (NP3, etc.). It might be worth hopping on their site and checking out what they offer.