• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Metal Reloading bench

lobo56

Minuteman
Feb 18, 2009
Texas
May be a stupid question, but wouldn't be my first or last!! I don't know if this picture will upload correctly but is there anything wrong with having a reloading bench that is made out of metal and wood, or even one made out of metal with rubber wheels??

Attachments

• reloading bench.jpg
    reloading bench.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 56
The only question I'd raise is the chance of a static electric spark if you ever reload with black powder on a steel metal table top. BP (explosive) is very vulnerable to sparks and explodes easily. I don't believe that this issue exists with smokeless powder (propellent), but there are certainly experts on this site that would definitely know.

I have the same bench. It works fine. The top is MDF and not secured to the bench. When I got it I also bought a 24"x48"x3/4" birch project panel, glued it to the top of the MDF. And bolted a 2"x4" to the back pegboard, tight to the bottom too keep the top from lifting off on stubborn cases.

Be advised that most press's will block one of the drawers. I bought an Inline Fabrication riser for mine got the press plenty high doesnt block the drawer.

Also it'll take some time to put it together it comes in a lot of pieces. Best to have an electric screwdriver and a couple spare batteries

All in all it works perfect for me. I like the drawers I have dies in one, all case measuring instruments in another and brass and bullets in the bottom drawer. The bottom shelf stores my stainless tumbler media separator and all my powder with room to spare.

Last edited:
atuveryz.jpg
heres mine.. In the process of making mine now.. It's 4 ft tall, 5ft long and 2.5ft deep. Also making shelves for it with peg boards and led lighting. All for under 100$

I was not really talking about using this specific bench, just the theory behind the question. I'll try to take a picture of one I was thinking about using for a portable press setup just so I can get some processes going!!

Thanks for the replies so far.

The only question I'd raise is the chance of a static electric spark if you ever reload with black powder on a steel metal table top. BP (explosive) is very vulnerable to sparks and explodes easily. I don't believe that this issue exists with smokeless powder (propellent), but there are certainly experts on this site that would definitely know.

Static Electricity and Black Powder

I'll tell you that smokeless and BP is near impossible to light even with a high energy spark.
Anyway, my load bench is 100% aluminum, about 10'x 3'x 8'. No static problems at all. If anyone makes one all metal and is worried about static, just run a ground wire.

Ground it and forget it. Don't rely on house ground or piping. Modern homes have all that plastic piping you can't see. Ground rod, copper wire.

In my workshop everything grounds back to the ground at the breaker box. Ground rod and copper wire. In the house, it's an OLD house, I use the cold water pipe from the washing machine. It's copper.

Not wanting to get into a pissing contest where I have limited experience, I do know that when using a powder dispenser for BP, a special, non-sparking dispenser is highly recommended that is quite different from an iron/steel one that can be used for smokeless powder. It is similar to non-sparking crimping tools (zinc maybe) that are used to crimp burning type fuzes (that I believe use BP) to blasting caps. Bottom line is that in my mind it makes great sense to attach a really good ground to the metal table.

My limited experience in handloading BP cartridges is limited to 45-70 Trapdoor Springfield, and 56-50 Spencer rounds.