• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Metal thread?

Keith Merrow- Heart of the Sea Nymph (feat. Jeff Loomis) - YouTube

I'll just leave this here. Instrumental, tech driven, strong melody, nuts pants riffage... that's my style!

The Meshuggah stuff is acquired. I personally don't like to listen to it, but I respect the hell out of it. I heard someone say something about Meshuggah that the music is really in the complex rhythm and time patterns rather than the melody or vocals. I can see that.

I spent my teenage years listening to everything from the classic metal, Priest and Maiden, to Slipknot, to really symphonic/melodic Scandinavian power metal like Kamelot, Falconer, and Rhapsody (of Fire), to really brutal stuff like Arsis and Children Of Bodom, really progressive stuff like Symphony X, Circus Maximus, and Adagio to straight up biker metal like BLS, Brand New Sin, and Fireball Ministry. I generally landed on metalcore, KsE, Trivium, All That Remains. The metalcore has the right combination of melody, aggression, clean and screamed vocals, and production quality to really hook me, with some really catchy hooks too.

I have about 20 gigs of just various metal on my hard drive that I could sift through and recommend if necessary.

I pretty much run from all of the 80's hair "metal" though. I can't stand Poision, Motley Crue, Ratt, all of it makes my skin crawl. Musicianship is good, but those awful lyrics and themes make me sick.

Last edited:
I hated the 80-90's hair bands. Love Priest and Metalica. Hate Kiss and Guns n roses. Love rare non mainstream stuff too like Atomic Opera and Prong. Inflames is probably my all time favorite with TOOL and Perfect Circle. Maynard is a genius. Hell I even like Alan Parsons. Basically, talant.

Or for pure, unadulterated talent: Dream Theater.

I have seen Dream Theater in concert twice. Once with Queensryche. That was a great show!

Meshugga, this is as heavy as I get. Is there anything more heavy? I don't care to find out. these guys have killer time signatures and wicked talent.

this one is about revenge. one of my favorite quotes.

Revenge... is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion.

-Albert Schweitzer-

EASILY one of the greatest bands of all time. Talented and actually easy to listen to. I have a VERY hard time respecting anyone who thinks "they all sound the same". This is from one who hears, but does not listen. Meshuggah, especially in albums since the Nothing release(s), have the highest quality in sound and production. They are METICULOUS with their sound and their QA/QC approach is to be envied by professionals of any field. An open-minded listen will prove this. It DEFINITELY isn't for everyone. My wife is a Kelly Clarkson, American Idol kind of woman. She despises metal (even pop-friendly Metallica) and appreciates Meshuggah's musicianship and writing abilities. As long as I don't make her listen to it, things usually go well.

Going to disagree...self titled was thier best IMO...it sucks whats been happening with Paul and Joey but they are saying a new album is coming... \m/ Corey Taylor doesn't know how to not please through his lyrics and music. I hold slipknot near and dear as they were the first metal group I really DUG into...

Going to disagree...self titled was thier best IMO...it sucks whats been happening with Paul and Joey but they are saying a new album is coming... \m/ Corey Taylor doesn't know how to not please through his lyrics and music. I hold slipknot near and dear as they were the first metal group I really DUG into...

I can see your point on the self titled album. Yeah sucks about Paul. But Joey says he didn't quit, Cory says Joey wasn't there due to his involvement with the Murderdolls but what about Stone Sour. Speaking of that Cory fired Jim Root from Sour, I can only imagine the drama in Knot with that. Who knows but I think it's clear they are starting to self-destruct.

I had heard Joey was cut but not because his involvement elsewhere. Stone Sour has now released like what 3 albums? Sounds like there might be something else going on there. I will agree with you that A) they wont ever be like they were, and B) thier future seems iffy...unfortunately.

Rob, I saw JP Screaming for Vengeance tour with Alcatraz opening for them. Engva Malmsteen was quite a guitarist.

R

I saw that concert too. First concert was Judas Priest with Iron Maiden with Paul Di'Anno singing. Don't remember if it was British Steel or Point of Entry tour but we were 5th row center on the floor and it was awesome! All down hill from there LOL Saw them again with Iron Maiden opening and this time Bruce Dickinson was singing. Going to see JP next month. Haven't seen them since the 80's so should be fun.

Nice. Saw AC/DC on the Thunderstruck tour and it was a great show. Would have loved to see a Bon Scott show.

As I recall Iron Butterfly was one of the first groups to incorporate an organ in their music. Best concert I ever saw was Young Rascals, Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company, topped of with Jimi Hendrix at old Shea Stadiumin the 60s!!!!

Rob, saw Iron Maiden with Accept as the opener. I thought the opener sucked but may have been a contact buzz lol.

Also saw the Scorpions when Bon Jovi was opening for them. I believe it was Love at first Sting tour. I have to give BJ credit, they were the best opener I had heard at that time.

R

Never saw Accept. Was never a fan. Some openers are just all they will be but some are very good. Twisted Sister opened for, I think it was either Ozzy or Dio, and they did a great job. It was the early 80's so memory is a little fuzzy LOL

Nice! Never saw them back in the 80's or 90's but got to see them from the 5th row a few years back. Good show. Been a fan for years. Going to try and get in to see the farewell tour.

That's the one band I regret not seeing. Love G n' R! Had a chance to see them open for the Rolling Stones out in California when I was in the Marine Corps in 1989. A buddy had tickets and offered them to me but I was stuck on armory watch that night. Was almost worth going AWOL for. LOL