• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Metering N570 with A&D FX120

powerspc

It Sounded Like a Good Idea at the Time
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2018
    Just curious if anyone has any tips or tricks for metering N570 with an A&D FX120 Scale and Autotrickler? I couldn’t even get the Autoitrickler to feed the kernels through the tube without tapping on the plastic end of it. The powder throw was getting stuck as well, again a good tap on top of the Plexiglas lid would free it up. Willing to sacrifice a little precision and revert back to my Hornady Lock-N-Load AutoCharge or RCBS ChargeMaster Lite if those would work better (didn’t try them yet). Or worse case get a separate charger/scale for it if you know of one that works well. Thanks!

P.s. I'm aware that N570 is notorious for being tricky/difficult to meter.

Some powders are just too much for a powder measure when it needs to cut kernels. I don’t use this setup but with 4064 and my BR-30 I sometimes have to lock my wrist and put my arm into it. There is no way the autotrickler can have enough leverage to power through a job like that.

You should get something that doesn’t have to cut kernels.

If nothing else, revert back old school. Manual powder measure and balance beam.

I use my old Hornandy LNL to throw the charge under and use the V3 to trickle it up with N170 which has similar Lincoln logs shape as N570.

I plan on machining a nice scoop to go even faster.

It's been a while since I reloaded N570, but as I recall each kernel is .1 grain. Beeg suckers.... not a problem for the Chargemaster...but I am loading to the .1 grain, not .01 ;)

Thanks for all this; I’ll try the Hornady I think or maybe just end up scooping It the old fashioned way.

I just worked up my first batch in my Hornady LNL Auto Charge with N570. Yup, Lincoln Logs. Funny but appropriate. I think one tenth grain per granule is pretty close.

The downside is I had to adjust trickle start to three grains short of target instead of the usual two. Since I target one tenth under actual target and trickle up on a 5-0-2, not much of a problem. The more than normal overthrows, which was still acceptable, was due to two or more granules dropping in together instead of one at a time. If this powder turns out to be the magic unicorn dust, I'll just deal with it and be happy to do so.

I just worked up my first batch in my Hornady LNL Auto Charge with N570. Yup, Lincoln Logs. Funny but appropriate. I think one tenth grain per granule is pretty close.

The downside is I had to adjust trickle start to three grains short of target instead of the usual two. Since I target one tenth under actual target and trickle up on a 5-0-2, not much of a problem. The more than normal overthrows, which was still acceptable, was due to two or more granules dropping in together instead of one at a time. If this powder turns out to be the magic unicorn dust, I'll just deal with it and be happy to do so.
    Did you do the McDonald’s straw mod on your LNL?
    It helps tremendously with over throws?

Did you do the McDonald’s straw mod on your LNL?
    It helps tremendously with over throws?

I've heard about it but no, I haven't tried it. By adjusting throw speed and trickle start time the overthrows are manageable. Especially when I target one tenth low and trickle up on the balance.

I'm able to feed 570 through the trickler but it jams up the autothrow within three throws. I've got an adjustable powder scoop I'll use to fill the pan and then trickle.

I'm going to be loading some N570 here soon for my Soon to have 33XC This is a nice heads up before I start loading with my AutoTrickler. Might keep me from getting so frustrated.

Sounds like the new V4 fixes the problems with bigger powders. "
    • Works with large kernel powders like N570 and H50BMG". From their website.

Reactions: 6.5SH
    I stopped doing the main powder throw with the Autotrickler when using N570. Instead I just use some Lee scoops to get a ballpark amount of powder into the cup, then place the cup on the scale and then let the Autotrickler trickle up to the desired charge weight. It's not as fast, but it doesn't jam-up the thrower.

Exactly how I did it yesterday. It's really not that much slower unless you're doing 100's of cases.

So, for mine @ 80ish gr’s, set the throw around 25ish, manually throw 3 times giving taps on the powder holder in between. Have the trickler on a good lean and set charge. Works for me. Just loaded up 50 this am.

Totally missing the point.

Just curious if anyone has any tips or tricks for metering N570 with an A&D FX120 Scale and Autotrickler? I couldn’t even get the Autoitrickler to feed the kernels through the tube without tapping on the plastic end of it. The powder throw was getting stuck as well, again a good tap on top of the Plexiglas lid would free it up. Willing to sacrifice a little precision and revert back to my Hornady Lock-N-Load AutoCharge or RCBS ChargeMaster Lite if those would work better (didn’t try them yet). Or worse case get a separate charger/scale for it if you know of one that works well. Thanks!

P.s. I'm aware that N570 is notorious for being tricky/difficult to meter.
    How so? He explicitly asked about that. Maybe read more than the first sentence of a paragraph.

Because the issue with the Autotrickler is the thrower portion works like a traditional volume thrower and the big N570 kernels get stuck in it sometimes. The same goes for manual throwers. The auto-trickling portion is not the issue. The Chargemaster is purely a trickler, so it's not going to have this issue at all.

So we've been offering suggestions for how to get around the fact that N570 will sometimes get stuck in the thrower.

Reactions: chase723
    I have done 2 things to fix this, both work equally well. Drill the hopper. I ordered another hopper for other powders and drilled one. The down side is it will not fully close if you drill it large enough to function, but it is just for the N570 type powders. I also ran a Frankford Arsenal powder throw mounted right next to scale, within reach. I do initial throw from that and let trickler finish. Either way works. The new V4 solves this issue too.

Because the issue with the Autotrickler is the thrower portion works like a traditional volume thrower and the big N570 kernels get stuck in it sometimes. The same goes for manual throwers. The auto-trickling portion is not the issue. The Chargemaster is purely a trickler, so it's not going to have this issue at all.

So we've been offering suggestions for how to get around the fact that N570 will sometimes get stuck in the thrower.
    I understand that, but he also asked about using a Chargemaster or even buying another if it worked better. Like you said, the Chargemaster doesn’t have that problem. So, it’s an effective alternative option since his Autotrickler is having an issue with it.

Yes, a powder trickler will not jam up with N570 the way a powder thrower will.

My V3 has been throwing good charges of N570 at about 48-49 out of 50 attempts.
    That’s good enough fo me.
    Still tons faster that a charge master or hornandy auto throw.