• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes MI/Mil or MOA/MOA?

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
if anyone has been following my posts they will see that I am sorting out what to do for a scope.

I shoot a number of rifles that have irons that adjust in MOA. M1a, carryhandle AR etc.

would it be easier to get a Mil/Mil or a MOA/MOA setup for my bolt gun. Is there an inherit advantage to one or the other, or is the important thing to just make sure you have matching clicks and reticle?

Re: MI/Mil or MOA/MOA?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1a convert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> or is the important thing to just make sure you have matching clicks and reticle?</div></div>

Yes. Either will work. I like mil/mil personally but you can use a MOA/MOA scope in the same ways. Just make sure they match.

Sorry. I don't think I phrased my question very well.

More what I was shooting for was the answer to this:

If I start running a Mil/Mil combo will it be hard mentally to adjust when I switch over to a gun that has irons in MOA?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1a convert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry. I don't think I phrased my question very well.

More what I was shooting for was the answer to this:

If I start running a Mil/Mil combo will it be hard mentally to adjust when I switch over to a gun that has irons in MOA? </div></div>

I went with a MOA MOA NIGHTFORCE WITH A NPR 2 reticle for 1 reason
when I look at a object say a person and then I was asked by someone to tell them how tall or wide that person is I would respond with my measurements in inches and feet
not in metric so I thought for this reason alone it would be easier for me to do the math

Sepul;
I have no problem with your choice, but many will point out to you....
Mil's are no more or less "metric" than MOA.
Mil's and MOA are angular measurements and Inches and Centimeters are linear measurements.
Mils can be equated to inches as readily as MOA can.
1 mil = 1" at 27.8 yards.
1 MOA = 1" at 95.5 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just use the same between your rifles and you will be a happy camper
I like mils</div></div>

This is what I am thinking. If I put mil/mil on all my scoped rifles I am wondering how much of a shift in thinking it is to start shooting a rifle with MOA irons like an M1a.

I found this post on another topic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Realizing there are people heavily invested in the defense of one system over the other, I point out the mathematical advantages, and some simple exercises that to me substantiate my position.

I prefer MOA/MOA because I can do the math in the dirt with a stick if I have to. Mathematically it's easier.

Take this example: 60" target shows up as 8MOA.

60 x 100 = 6000

6000 / 8moa = 750y

No acceptance of rounding error, no calculator, fully half the math is done by just adding two zeros. A lot of the time you can do both the x and the / in your head.

The same exercise purely in MIL:

60 x 27.778 = 1666.68

1666.68 / 2.2MILs = 757Y

Even if we round the decimals off (which you don't have to do with MOA/MOA), 28x60 isn't a calculation that can be done nearly as easy.

Take the calculators & cell phones away and see who has the answer first.

Then see who can get the closest without taking their hands off the rifle, or their eye off the glass.

Where MOA/MOA gains the advantage in RE, it's often paid right back in scope knob design. a .25MOA per click knob is mighty easy to get lost in when you have to crank it three rotations to get to longer ranges.

This to me makes a zero stop absolutely essential on a MOA/MOA .25MOA per click scope, but a "desirable but not necessary" for the MIL/MIL guys.

Just my thoughts. I own and use both.

--Fargo007
</div></div>

Is there an advantage to using mils over moa as long as the knobs match the reticle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1a convert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found this post on another topic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Realizing there are people heavily invested in the defense of one system over the other, I point out the mathematical advantages, and some simple exercises that to me substantiate my position.

I prefer MOA/MOA because I can do the math in the dirt with a stick if I have to. Mathematically it's easier.

Take this example: 60" target shows up as 8MOA.

60 x 100 = 6000

6000 / 8moa = 750y

No acceptance of rounding error, no calculator, fully half the math is done by just adding two zeros. A lot of the time you can do both the x and the / in your head.

The same exercise purely in MIL:

60 x 27.778 = 1666.68

1666.68 / 2.2MILs = 757Y

Even if we round the decimals off (which you don't have to do with MOA/MOA), 28x60 isn't a calculation that can be done nearly as easy.

Take the calculators & cell phones away and see who has the answer first.

Then see who can get the closest without taking their hands off the rifle, or their eye off the glass.

Where MOA/MOA gains the advantage in RE, it's often paid right back in scope knob design. a .25MOA per click knob is mighty easy to get lost in when you have to crank it three rotations to get to longer ranges.

This to me makes a zero stop absolutely essential on a MOA/MOA .25MOA per click scope, but a "desirable but not necessary" for the MIL/MIL guys.

Just my thoughts. I own and use both.

--Fargo007
</div></div>

Is there an advantage to using mils over moa as long as the knobs match the reticle? </div></div>

Actually the math used above is for IPHY not MOA. The multiplier for MOA is 95.5.

No advantage as long as you understand what your using.

Cheers,

Doc