• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Michigan 1st annual Precision Rifle Steel Challenge UPDATE FULL ROSTER

Thoughts??? Not the greatest but Im no expert either.

Rich

PM or call me if interested in taking pictures and maybe some video for this great event.

I'll have the GoPro out trying to capture a lot of footage. However, sadly, I just got news that I might have an all day job interview on saturday...so I am waiting to see if that materializes. Regardless, I'll be out there friday just to hangout/attend the new shooter meeting.

~Will T.

I would use a mil dot cross hair and maybe a little bolder line ?

an outline of Michigan would look nice too.

maybe something along this line but you cant have the dog ;)
0d9a49b1-41d5-4fe4-b9d8-9f95dfb34eb0.jpg

I started shooting these types of matches almost 10 years ago. They were designed to bring out your weakness to shooting and try to enhance fundamentals of shooting. In my opinion it has somewhat strayed from this and has become something diffrent. The match wont be easy by anymeans but it will make you learn your equiptment a little better. As far as equiptment goes thst should be easy, good pack to hold your stuff such as food, water, ammo, bags, ranging tools, dope cards or books, hustler mag to read between stages or whatever you like... Really just prepare to have fun and dont worry about it.

Rich

Rich, got a question.

Depending on how the stages are set up and scored, rifles with DBM’s can have an advantage to the internal mag box types. If you were shooting (knowing the round count/time and scoring on the stages) and had both available what would you use. Not that I stand a chance at the winners circle but I can go either direction in my choice but I don’t want to handicap myself unnecessarily...

We have made changes to the logo for a little more flare I guess. Ill get pics up soon.

Rich

Available lodging near Blue Water Sportsman’s Association.

1. Baymont Inn and Suites – 1611 Range Road, Kimball, MI (closest to the club)
2. Best Western – Port Huron, 2282 Water St., Port Huron, MI
3. Days Inn – Marysville, 70 Gratiot Boulevard, Marysville, MI
4. Super 8 Motel – Marysville, 1484 Gratiot Boulevard, Marysville, MI
5. Fairfield Inn – Port Huron, 1635 Yeager Street, Port Huron, MI
And there are others. Use any of the on-line booking services to get the best deals.

The finished product let me know how many I need to order.

Rich

that wont be the green just a rendering forgot to add

As previously stated, I'd be in for a shirt in size Medium.

`last minute details

Friday train up day
Saturday Match

Please be at the range no later than 7 am. We need to fill out waivers and score sheets. Match will start at 8 am and will run until all stages are finished or dark. Please bring all necessary gear. If you do not have zeros please come Friday to get data and have a little training to make for a better time on match day. Round count is at 72 but bring a little more just in case.

I will have actual start time for Friday very soon need to speak with other RO to verify. Cant wait here it comes.

Rich

Rich,

Any update on the Friday Training Day start timing? (Just trying to schedule my flexible work hours this weekend....).

Dave

I will have an answer today but it should be 9 -10 am Friday.

Rich

Can the guys showing up Fri signup then to save time Sat morning ? Just thought it might save some time.

Can the guys showing up Fri signup then to save time Sat morning ? Just thought it might save some time.

Sure no problem. Just be on time Saturday for the start of the match 8am. Once we leave there is no going back. If you dont show friday you must be at the club house by 7 am. The match will start at 8 am.

Rich

Last edited:
Sure no problem. Just be on time Saturday for the start of the match 8am. Once we leave there is no going back. If you dont show friday you must be at the club house by 7 am. The match will start at 8 am.

Rich

Better scratch the beer drinking friday night ;-(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

One more thing zero day friday will start at 10 am and will go thru 3-4 pm. I will be on the range all day to help new shooters with data collection and some positional stuff. If the gate to the range is closed please park at the club house and start walking its quite obvious where we will be.

Rich, I might have missed it but how many rounds will we be shooting to cover the course. Thanks,Bill

Update training day tomorrow is from 10am to 2pm after that is final setup of the match. Saturday is 7am for safety and sign in please do not be late. See everyone there. We will be there all day so you can hang out until dark if you like.

Rich

Last edited:
One more thing we have 1 open spot if you show up you can shoot as we have a drop out. Must text mw tonight 248.672.9104 to secure the spot.

Rich

Just want to thank the competitors who helped out today! Thanks so much you guys are the reason the match is going to be a hugh success...

Thanks again

Rich

Well, that was a lot of fun! Thanks to Rich and Derek for setting up this whole thing (including what I thought was an awesome course of fire), thanks to the ROs for chasing us around all day, thanks to the sponsors for an interesting (and deep) prize table, and thanks to Blue Water for letting us make use of an excellent facility. My fellow competitors were a great group of guys who provided plenty of help when we were shooting (and some interesting conversation when we weren't).

This was my first comp, but I certainly intend that it won't be my last.

+1 to what E.Bryant said. Very challenging shooting, good folks, good venue, great sponsors and prize table, heck even good weather. I took home 300 Nosler projs courtesy of Oakland Tactical, nice takeaway. Good time.

BTW Rich, match was won with 44 pts IIRC. What was the final overall point tally? Ie, 44 points out of possible ?? points? Just curious how close the winner got to shooting it clean.

ETA: there was a cert given out by MTC to a new shooter. Kudos to you guys for the "methodology" in handing that prize out like you did, it was well done.

Last edited:
I only got to shoot behind my camera but it was fun! I look forward to participating next year. Thanks to all for making this a fun event. See ya next year.

Well ! Can not say enough about what went on a Blue Water Sportsman Association on Saturday. It all started with 200 yd. FOG. But after that burned off we went of to a berm for a 320 yd. cold bore shot. Then we split into two groups and went in different directions. Shooting steel plates 5 to 14 inches in size at ranges 650 yards down to 25 yards. They had 11 stages and we shot anywhere from 5 to 10 rounds per stage. Some stages we shot off a berm, we shot of what simulated a roof another we shot from a swinging pallet that hung by rope on all four corners. Others we shot from inside a van at a 5 inch square plates that was on the other side of a car and shot through the side window, that was only a 150 yd. shot. The only stage I cleaned we ran to the top of a dirt mound and shot 4 targets, one a 5 in. square, 2 4x14 poppers and a 5 or 6 inch hanging ball this was a 7 shot stage. Another we scaled a wall with our packs and rifle then laid on a platform and engaged plates from 180 to 300 yards. Enough on the shooting, let me tell you about the others who I shot with. This is some of the best people any shooter could hang with !! Every one in our squad would share any and all information they could to help you to hit the steel plates at any stage. I can not say enough about the people I shot with, Derek and Rich were SUPER they would help in any way they could and they wanted to see that everyone hit steel. Blue Water Sportsman Assoc. is an awesome facility for a match like this. If this 69 year old can do something like this there is no reason anyone that likes to shoot should not shoot this kind of a match, there just can not be a more fun rifle match !! The prize table had a lot of great items on it and everyone one who shot got something. And lastly was a drawing for a custom 243 rifle in a AI folding stock, BOO HOO! I am all ready thinking what I have to do to do better at the Second Annual. I will proudly be wearing my 1st. annual tee shirt so if you see me with the shirt on stop me and lets talk. THANKS EVERYONE for A GREAT TIME ! BILL

Last edited:
BTW Rich, match was won with 44 pts IIRC. What was the final overall point tally? Ie, 44 points out of possible ?? points? Just curious how close the winner got to shooting it clean.

According to the mark-ups on my score sheet, 72 was the total number of available points.

Thanks to everyone that made this match happen!!!!! A very challenging match to shoot in and very well run. All the sponsors that donated prizes thanks to you also everyone likes to win something. Looking forward to next year already.

What an excellent, well run and challenging event. Thanks to Rich, Derek and all the sponsors who made this event possible. Looking forward to next year.

Total rounds fired was 62, the10 round Jungle Stage was cut. Being my first time I shot a 20. I will say it would really help to have a MIL MIL scope. Having the mildot reticle would make it easier to do hold overs. My earlier post I did not thank all the vendors who contributed to the prize table so I will do that now. THANK YOU ALL !!!

Last edited:
Wow,

Huge thanks to Derek and Rich (and BWSA) for putting this on! It was the most fun I have had at a shooting match in years. The stages were challenging, but not unshootable; they were really a great test of your marksmanship and ability. Hopefully this will turn into a semi annual event ;-). Great job guys.

Also, thanks to the more experienced tactical competition shooters in my squad (Derek's Squad). I picked up a lot of great pointers and am going to modify my gear and rifle to make it more practical for this type of shooting. I hope to see everyone at some more LR matches in the future.

Looks like I have found my new obsession.

Rich, Derek and all the RO's "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished" you didn't something good, YOU DID IT GREAT. So watch your six. Many thanks for all your hard work in making the shoot happen. I look forward to next years shoot. To all the shooters; you where fine company gentlemen, watching the free and open exchange of information was second only to the feeling of comradery. Also thanks to the young lady with the camera, I look forward to watching you shoot next year.

At work now will post some more later

Ps Thank you to all the sponsors and to the people that made this happen !
20130928_091523_zpsf95c8be5.jpg

20130928_122233_zps37f6f22f.jpg

20130928_104137_zpsbd46eda2.jpg

20130928_101347_zps0fb996f5.jpg

20130928_095108_zps2dc3aa67.jpg

Camera Lady showing us how its done.
20130928_131931_zpscc8e275d.jpg

Notice lack of ear protection
20130928_131550_zpse4d11cd5.jpg

Last edited:
My wife looks good behind that aics. What are the specs on that thing she loves it. She said it was a 308 with a 2 stage. I think that's the gun she will be buying very soon. :) it's better to have to buy to then make reasons why I need another one.

My wife looks good behind that aics. What are the specs on that thing she loves it. She said it was a 308 with a 2 stage. I think that's the gun she will be buying very soon. :) it's better to have to buy to then make reasons why I need another one.

Tell her thanks again for coming out and helping with the match. Your one lucky guy having a wife that will spend fourteen hours + at the shooting range.

That's an Accuracy International AW, with a Schmidt & Bender 5-25 Police Marksman II scope.

Would be hard to find a finer (or more expensive) tactical rifle combination!

Thanks Rich, Dereck et al for putting this together. You made great use of the facility in setting up a fun and representative precision rifle match.

The COF was well done, ESPECIALLY considering there were a lot of newer shooters. Pretty tough thing to do; balancing difficulty so that veterans would be challenged while newbies would have fun. Very well done.

To the competitors: Great meeting you guys, it was a fun time!

To the roof top: Damn you!

had a blast! meet more great hide members and rich and his team did a great job.
all stages where doable with the time limit. def going to put this match on the must do list every year
learned a few more of my weaknesses(a rifle as long as a school bus didn't do me any favors )and will have to work on them.
and the sponsors, WOW thank you i was in awe when i seen the prize table! i now see the reason to really support the sponsor's,
it really makes shooting a match that much nicer, it feels good to get something off the prize table and with out supporting them
they cant add to the table or will want too ,and again thanks to all that helped and sponsored great work.see you all next match.

and DaveO. . YOU AND PRESTON ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SHOOT THIS MATCH! i would like a chance to win:)