• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Michigan, how did you do it?

HT0317

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2012
29 Palms CA
Recently (2011?) Michigan became the 38th state to legalize the use of sound suppressors. I'm curious to see how this got passed. We hear so much about gun legislation getting stricter, but we never hear enough about people fighting for our 2nd amendment rights. I'm extremely interested in the details pertaining to the bill that made suppressors legal for use, and I want to know if something like this could be done again, specifically in Minnesota. Thanks for your time.

Re: Michigan, how did you do it?

Sorry to take the wind out of your sails, but our situation required only a clarifying opinion of existing Michigan law by our attorney general.

SBRs on the other hand, would require legislation, and our pro-gun population isn't as optimistic about such legislation ever being passed

Follow Wyoming's saga. More or less, a private group of folks approached the legislature while they were out of session. The Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources committee has since drafted a bill that should be introduced and discussed, etc, during the upcoming legislative session, early next year. Here is a link to the draft legislation: http://legisweb.state.wy.us/interimCommittee/2012/13LSO-0092W1.pdf

Montana had two bills similar to this last year; one passed allowing suppressors in the "fields and forests", but not for big game hunting. Follow that one too, if you want to learn more about how this process works.

Basically, get some movers and shakers to listen and legislation will be written and discussed, at least. But don't forget the old addage that goes something like this:
Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made.
Otto von Bismarck

It took the coincidence of a Republican Governor and Republican Attorney General (Bill Schuette) but primarily just the AG. Before last year, there was no recognized process for obtaining a license to own a suppressor in Michigan. All Schuette had to do was issue an opinion that stated the Federal process for acquiring a suppressor would be recognized by the State as a "License". The long history of Democrat AG's, Governors or State Lawmakers in Michigan was the only reason it didn't happen earlier. Bottom line: Elect gun-friendly lawmakers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Bottom line: Elect gun-friendly lawmakers. </div></div>

Roger that!!

Living near the MI border I understand the Pro Union/Pro Democrat saga.

I don't want to get into all the political BS, but I work in a union environment and we all need to wake up and understand that there is more to the traditional economic Dem vs Rep arguments.

Keep your hands off of my gun rights and let ME decide how to protect myself. Good luck with that argument in CALI though
grin.gif