• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Microjust Seating Stem from Hornady

Rob01 will be around shortly to preach the virtues of this magical new product.

Not really new as I have been using one on my Creedmoor dies for about 5 years but it works well. I don't think I would be crimping anything that I would be using a micrometer seater on so it's a non issue for me.

I've got two of them, an older etched model and the newer stickered model.

I use them on 223, 22-250, 308 and 338LM, before I broke out my Forster MicroSeater.

They work well and don't cost a lot. I'm in no hurry to transfer over to the Forster, or Redding, for the above carts.

Chris

Reactions: Sc0-
I also use them for .223,260,30/06 and 270 Win. Here's the great thing about the Hornady micro seater. You can buy one micro seater and actually use it on all of your Hornady seating dies. No need to buy multiple micro seaters for every caliber, you can use one for all. The way the seater is designed, it has a generic seating stem that contacts the top of the seating plug of the seating die. What I do is have notes in the die box to record the micro numbers to whatever bullet and COL you have for that caliber.

The micro seater unscrews easily from the seating die and can be moved from die to die. I didn't know this about the micro seater and bought three separate seaters for the four listed calibers. It wasn't until I decided to use the micro seater from my 223 seating die onto the 260 seating die and discovered they can be moved from die to die. Just keep a log/notes for the seating stem numbers and COL's for your different bullets/ calibers and the seating readings are repeatable when going back and forth from seating die to seating die, just as long as you don't change /adjust the die ring from when you initially set the seating die up. I set all of my Hornady seating dies up exactly as the factory instructions instruct. There is some wiggle room and I set each die up to where the micro seating stem numbers face forward.
You can actually set your pre determined seating settings with the micro stem off of the die and just screw the stem into the top of the die after setting your number.

As far as crimping, you set the die to crimp or not crimp in the initial set up. I don't use the crimping feature on my seating dies. If I feel the need to crimp, I use Lee factory crimp dies.

The Hornady micro seater is a good value and it works well.

I use 3 of them, they work great. For crimping I generally use Redding Factory Crimp Die on my 223/5.56 and 45ACP.

Anybody know if the threads are the same between Hornady and Lee ?

I just tried one on a Lee 40/10mm seating die, which I can't say is indicative all Lee dies, including their rifle dies, but the Lee plug is wider and the Hornady stem didn't fit.

Chris

Lee and everybody elses seater designs are totally different, no exchange.

A micro seater stem is nothing but a modest user convienence and even that only matters when changing the OAL.

How do you lock down the seating depth setting on the Microjust seating stem? I see how to lock down the die I don't see a lock nut on the microjust stem. Anybody help? Sure would appreciate it. I'm using the Match Grade 223 dies.

How do you lock down the seating depth setting on the Microjust seating stem? I see how to lock down the die I don't see a lock nut on the microjust stem. Anybody help? Sure would appreciate it. I'm using the Match Grade 223 dies.
You bumped a decade old thread to ask why they don’t put a lock nut on a micrometer? How about because it’s a micrometer.

• Haha
Reactions: Judd