• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Micrometers and calipers?

tow2atm

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2020
Looking for a decent micrometer and caliper. I have a “hand me down“set and looking for something newer and trustworth. Dial or digital is fine.
Looking to spend roughly $100 each as long as they are accurate and reliable. Any suggestion and recommendation?
Thanks!

Looking for a decent micrometer and caliper. I have a “hand me down“set and looking for something newer and trustworth. Dial or digital is fine.
Looking to spend roughly $100 each as long as they are accurate and reliable. Any suggestion and
I use some mitutoyo resolute calipers and a Fowler .0001 micrometer that I bought used and modified so I could measure neck thickness properly.
For $100 bucks, your not going to find any if good quality. Starrett was always the gold standard till about 20 years ago. I replace my misc about every 3 to 4 years with a new one . The older is relegated to being the knock around and the new is for finer work ie: grinding, etc. Starrett turned to shit 20 years ago. Very sad. I only buy Mitutiyo or Etilon now. You still need good Deltronics to qualify whatever you are using if you want to be correct to within 20 mil.
C

Reactions: tow2atm
Ive got a set of mitotuyo and they are awesome. I also have a set of Pittsburg (harbor freight), they seem to be very consistent measurements but it's not as smooth as the mitu and doesn't give you that same feel for knowing your measurements are good, if that makes sense.

Reactions: MCHOG and tow2atm
Are the Mitutoyo calipers on EBay all knock offs? How do I know if I’m getting a legitimate caliper? I found several other websites that sell them for $40-$50 to. And then there’s other sites for $100-$140.

Last edited:
Are the Mitutoyo calipers on EBay all knock offs? How do I know if I’m getting a legitimate caliper? I found several other websites that sell them for $40-$50 to. And then there’s other sites for $100-$140.
Yes be careful if you think your getting a good deal go to a known supplier

Reactions: KZP
There's knock offs on Amazon as well, very close, body shape and graphics are slightly different. Go to Mitutoyo's website for image verification.

There's knock offs on Amazon as well, very close, body shape and graphics are slightly different. Go to Mitutoyo's website for image verification.
they sure look identical! But the price difference is raising a red flag.

Last edited:
they sure look identical! But the price difference is raising a red flag.
The copies I saw a year or two ago were $110-$130, but the graphics and shape were just different enough they couldn't get sued. In all honesty I've found the Harbor Freight or Shars calipers are surprisingly accurate just lack durability and battery life. A good friend has an old school (no CNC) performance engine machine shop and they have Mitutoyo and Sterrett calipers and micrometers and he's bought a few Shars Aventor calipers and dial indicators to have at different work stations. They've been within +/- .001 of Mitutoyo and Sterrett.

Genuine Mitutoyo calipers will come with a Certificate of Inspection and the serial # on the certificate will match that on the back of the caliper. The box should also say "Made in Japan" on the bottom of the plastic case, and the calipers will come in a sealed package WITHOUT the battery installed. The final way you can tell is that the 4th decimal place will not be subscript i.e. (0.0005) and not (0.000₅).

You don't know if it's genuine until you get it, so I would not recommend buying from sellers on EBay that have subpar return policies.

I'm still using my old plastic RCBS dial caliper from the early 80's. That said I have a set of Starrett calipers when I want to be a bit more accurate.

I'm still using my old plastic RCBS dial caliper from the early 80's. That said I have a set of Starrett calipers when I want to be a bit more accurate.
I know im using my rcbs caliper and a Phase II that i got 30 years ago but im on a not made in China kind of mindset now

Thanks for all the input. I ordered Mitutoyo 500-196-30 from Global Test Supply.