• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mid priced spotting scope choice

Mildot

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2003
Central Indiana
Hi,

I am looking for a mid priced [$600 to $1,300] spotting scope for use at the range and to observe animals in the field. At the range it will mainly be used at 100 to 200 yards, but out to 300 to 400 yards when watching animals. It will not be used a lot but I want decent quality.

My short list so far is the Athlon Ares 15-45x60 and the Leupold GR 12-40X60 HD. Are any of the Vortex models worth a look?

Back 20 years ago when I went to the range a little I had the older cousin to the Leupold, it seemed to work OK but I had to send it back twice for glass dust inside the scope which looked like stars when the sun hit them just right. I quit shooting and sold everything and now that I am getting ready to retire I want to start up again.

Does anyone have any input on those models or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks, Mike

practically new on another forum...i don't know the guy...

I don’t have any experience with the Athlon, but I loved my Leupold Gold Ring HD. It spent most of its time at service rifle competitions were it performed very well from 200-1000 yds. I never had any real trouble spotting mirage or bullet trace, but we were generally shooting in pretty good conditions for it.

I don’t have any top tier glass, but it was some of the best glass that I had. The only reason that I got rid of it was that mine had the MOA based reticle in it and I have since stepped into the light and started shooting mils.

I have been playing with the Athlon Ares UHD spotter for a little while now and I have to admit that under $1k, I would easily go for that. I have the 15-45x65 with an extra 22x reticle eyepiece and for my purposes the reticle is really helpful. I use it with that eyepiece easily 80% of the time.

Vortex Viper is in the same basic price range and it is a nice spotter. However, Ares is more compact and has an available reticle.

Optically, I am not sure which is better. I have not had them side-by-side. Both are pretty good.

ILya

Full price new is going to be above your budget but my kowa 553 has amazing glass and is the perfect size/weight for packing in the field. I would see if you can find one used or on sale that's close to your price range. There were some sales recently but a quick search makes it seem like they're over. Either way Doug will hook you up so it's worth giving him a call.

Reactions: simonp
Go to Ebay and buy a piece of vintage glass that will likely be made in USA of real metal and glass not some spec china shit.

I use a NOS, US mil M49.

Is there better yes....Is there a more compact bomb proof package.....with cased tripod and tube transport case I doubt it.

Look at some old Unertl spotters based on the M49 design....alloy tube with most other parts of machined brass..

One example...

a page of them...

Ares
Hi,

I am looking for a mid priced [$600 to $1,300] spotting scope for use at the range and to observe animals in the field. At the range it will mainly be used at 100 to 200 yards, but out to 300 to 400 yards when watching animals. It will not be used a lot but I want decent quality.

My short list so far is the Athlon Ares 15-45x60 and the Leupold GR 12-40X60 HD. Are any of the Vortex models worth a look?

Back 20 years ago when I went to the range a little I had the older cousin to the Leupold, it seemed to work OK but I had to send it back twice for glass dust inside the scope which looked like stars when the sun hit them just right. I quit shooting and sold everything and now that I am getting ready to retire I want to start up again.

Does anyone have any input on those models or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks, Mike
Get the ares 15 45 60. Best little spotter won't brake bank either. Honestly it is my favorite little spotter and to my eyes it packs a punch way about the other spotters. No vortex for not a fan and Leopold had the gold ring wasn't impressed at all for my eyes felt the ares was just as good at half the price. I used mine at range and hunting.

OP, have you considered buying binoculars?
Doug at Camera land can help ir if you're a veteran you can get steep discounts from Bushnell and their sister companies.

OP, have you considered buying binoculars?
Doug at Camera land can help ir if you're a veteran you can get steep discounts from Bushnell and their sister companies.
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

I have [2] pair of binoculars, a Steiner 10x42 and a Pentax 8x42.

I would rather use a spotting scope with a minimum of 20 power in this instance.

Thanks, Mike

if you're a veteran you can get steep discounts from Bushnell and their sister companies.

It's not just for military, either. Law enforcement, medical professionals, people in the outdoor/shooting industry, and a few others can all qualify, too.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

I have [2] pair of binoculars, a Steiner 10x42 and a Pentax 8x42.

I would rather use a spotting scope with a minimum of 20 power in this instance.

Thanks, Mike

There's a world of difference between a 10x42 and a 15x56 or similar for spotting. I've spent a lot of time behind glass watching rounds go down range, and out to ~1200 yards with PRS cartridges, I will take a good set of 15x56 binos over a good spotter every single time.

It's not just for military, either. Law enforcement, medical professionals, people in the outdoor/shooting industry, and a few others can all qualify, too.

There's a world of difference between a 10x42 and a 15x56 or similar for spotting. I've spent a lot of time behind glass watching rounds go down range, and out to ~1200 yards with PRS cartridges, I will take a good set of 15x56 binos over a good spotter every single time.

I've used a 22x spotter and the 15x Bushnell binos side by side and the binoculars win hands down.
The only reason for me to keep the spotter is so I can run my Spot Shot camera and record shots...

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
For prolonged observation, high magnification binoculars are really excellent. I am currently testing Tract 15x56 and I am quite impressed with what I am seeing so far.

If I need to take a somewhat quick look to see some specific details, the spotter still wins out. It also helps that all the spotters I use have reticles.

However, if you will be glassing for a while, using two eyes instead of one is a huge advantage.

ILya

Reactions: 260284 and Schw15
For prolonged observation, high magnification binoculars are really excellent. I am currently testing Tract 15x56 and I am quite impressed with what I am seeing so far.

If I need to take a somewhat quick look to see some specific details, the spotter still wins out. It also helps that all the spotters I use have reticles.

However, if you will be glassing for a while, using two eyes instead of one is a huge advantage.

ILya
I love tract binos. Excited to see what you say on the 15x56 they might be best bang for buck. Haven't checked there spotter or scopes out. Bought Athlon cronus before tract released there spotter.

I've used a 22x spotter and the 15x Bushnell binos side by side and the binoculars win hands down.
The only reason for me to keep the spotter is so I can run my Spot Shot camera and record shots...

I have used my PhoneSkope setups with my Forge binos before, too. It worked really well, too.

Thanks guys.

Now you all have me wanting binoculars. Are there any good models I should be looking at between $600 and $1,000?

Thanks guys.

Now you all have me wanting binoculars. Are there any good models I should be looking at between $600 and $1,000?

I've been really happy with the Bushnell Forge 15x binos, all the way back to the prototypes I tested. I've used them at a bunch of PRS matches as both a shooter and RO, and I have yet to find a complaint about them.

Thanks guys.

I have not used Bushnell Forge, so I do not have any opinions on those. From what I have seen Tract Toric 15x56 is probably your best bang for the buck, but it is a hair over your budget. I have glanced at Athlon Cronus 15x56 a while back and thought they were quite respectable at around $700 or so.

ILya

OP, if you still find yourself needing a spotter, I’ll second what everyone else says and tell you the Ares 15-45x65 is great for the price.

I have the 20-60 Cronus that I got from Doug. Pretty dang nice. Everybody that’s looked through it is impressed.

for what it is worth I currently have a Vortex 20-60 85 mm razor HD that I’m not happy with. Two reasons, at the higher power settings the resolution (image sharpness ) degrades. The second and more important reason is eye relief. To get full field of view I must take my glasses off and press my eye against the rubber eye cup and the person I spoke with at Vortex, while very nice said both these issues were normal for the generation one scope ….. not good for a $1500 plus scope and not good for benchrest having to change position after each shot to look in the spotter. Looking for a new spotter and will sell this one. Will pay more for clarity and proper eye relief