• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mid-Range (distance wise) optic

BytorJr

Two Star General
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
So, I'm torturing myself for not jumping on the Midway sale. However, in the near future I'm considering one of the three:

LRTS 4.5-18x44mm
DMR II 3.5-21x50
Brownells (MPO) 3-18X50MM R

I have a 3-12x LRTS and the LRTSi. Nice scopes. Thus, comparing the glass of the LRTS and DMR II (non-pro) is my conundrum.

However, the 3-18 actually hits all the marks I'm looking for since the reticle is illuminated. However, I'm just not really sure about a) the glass, b) the double lined reticle.

Would be for 600-900 yards "semi-precision" (I'm no where near good enough to say "precision.")

Anybody here care to chime in? I believe all are made by LOW. I have an "extra" ERA-TAC 34mm mount so I'd have to get another likely cheaper mount (Steiner) for the LRTS since it's 30mm.

Thanks. No hurry. I think I've spent enough and don't want to be one of Bender's Poors. :) :)

While inventory lasts we have the Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 4.5-18x44mm Flat Dark Earth - FFP - G3 for $749.99, the Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II 3.5-21x50 starting at $949.99 and until Midnight tonight, during our 10% Off ALL NEW Athlon Optics - Today Through Sunday, you can get the Made in Japan by LOW Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 for only $1169.99

I'm not sure I want to go up to 1169 or I'd probably be all over that Athlon. Then again, I'm not in crisis mode ;). Maybe I should be. LOL.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The BTR is made in China, correct?

Thanks.

I forgot to add that...Thanks. I actually prefer the other reticles though. But, that said I've heard good things about this scope. I've decided that optic I was going to mount is much too nice for the platform and now am looking at these instead. Worse comes to worse, I'll mount my old PST Gen I 2-10 in place of my 3-12 Bushy and move 3-12 Bushy to said platform.

All Cronus are Jap. All other Athlon are Chinese
The high end Athlons, even tho Chinese made, are excellent quality. I own one and would own another.

I would not pass up a arken optics 6x24x50 34mm ffp its really nice at only 399 . Good luck with what ever you get its very addicting and fun but man it all gets expensive really fast .

The illuminated reticle for me means Cronus > DMR. However, I'm assuming glass quality of the Cronus, Steiner, Brownells and DMR are on par with my 3-12 LRTS? That's the key. I'd rather give up some on the magnification for glass quality. This is for a large frame rifle BTW. Actually, if I knew the quality of the BTR, I really like the 2.5-15x concept.

The illuminated reticle for me means Cronus > DMR. However, I'm assuming glass quality of the Cronus, Steiner, Brownells and DMR are on par with my 3-12 LRTS? That's the key. I'd rather give up some on the magnification for glass quality. This is for a large frame rifle BTW. Actually, if I knew the quality of the BTR, I really like the 2.5-15x concept.
Glass on the Cronus is a goodbye bit better than any DMR I’ve ever looked through.
I can’t say I have any issues with even original DMR glass.
I have an old Horus falcon 5x20 on my mid range 260 that I rather like and the DMR glass is a bit better with a better low end, high end and turrets.

So today I ordered the Bushnell 4.5-18x44 from Doug. I think Doug convinced me reasonably well the glass on the Bushy is going to be as good as my 3-12x and the turret feel is superior to the Steiner I was considering. I'm very familiar with the turrets on the Bushnell as I have, "more than 1" in my house. I'll try to remember to post my feelings on the glass when I get it on Election Day!!! So at 30mm I'll be able to use the mount I have an old, unused Vortex PST Gen I, mounted in. Nothing wrong with that one, but once the nice 1-8x/10x came out I went that route. It'll end up on a 22 or somewhere.

I also took advantage and got one of the Athlon 8.5x Cronus Binoculars. I'd love to have some 15x, but right now I don't want to deal with a tripod. I figure 8.5x Cronus > 10x Ares. It'll also make for good bird watching binos here at the house.

Thanks again to @gr8fuldoug!!! Now, I need to be banned from optics for a while.