• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mid Range Tactical $1500 and under, HELP ME

Hunter24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2012
Well guys, I'm picking up a Larue Predatar 7.62 18" barrel tomorrow. Looking to purchase an optic for it. What would you buy and why? Thanks

2.5-10x32 Nightforce with mlr 2.0 if illumination is necessary. 3-12 Bushnell LRHS if it isn't.

What distances do you intend on shooting? What is the primary purpose of the rifle. (hunting, punching paper, etc)

Will it be a carry or prone rifle? Scopes add a ton of weight. I'm a magnification junky so I would say a used ?-20 or ?-25. If you want light weight and 500yd shots I would look in the class that jakelly is suggesting... ?-10
NF will be best bang for buck in both decisions IMO.
BOCO

I will mostly be shooting steel and the occasional hunt. Not sure if I want to stay compact like 2.5-10 NF or something like 3.5-21 bushnell.

You can get a used NF 3.5-15x NXS on here well within your price range. I picked one up for $1150 and love it.

Bushnell 3.5-21x50mm with 34mm Tube G2DMR Mil/Mil Ret or the 3-14x44mm 30mm Tube with the G2DMR Mil/Mil Ret would be perfect for your setup and will be a Whole Lot Cheaper than $1,500 USD. Also Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16x50mm MRAD Mil/Mil would work well too.

SWFA is having their tax day sale today and tomorrow. I'd be tempted to grab a 5-20x50 HD for 20% off. They are among the best buys under $2000 even at full price. It's a great full-size option, as is the Bushy DMR and a few others. The smaller SS 3-15x42 is also one of the best values in its price range ($700ish) and would be a great match for an Predatar. You could spend the rest feeding that rifle with some high quality fodder....

I will mostly be shooting steel and the occasional hunt. Not sure if I want to stay compact like 2.5-10 NF or something like 3.5-21 bushnell.

Bushnell would be more useful on the range but adds a pound over the nightforce. Doesn't sound like a lot but you will feel the difference especially with big steel 34MM rings.

the NF 2.5-10x32 is just about perfect I think, or a mark 4 leupold, but NF makes a better scope.

Nice rifle, I'm jealous.
Handy, light, and compact. If it were me, like you asked, I would want the optics to complement the rifle with the same attributes.
The night force 2.5 to 10 Compact would be the biggest optic I would go with. And they are incredible.
But also consider a Leopold Mark 4 MR/T in 2.5-8x36. The actual magnification is 8.7 according to the Leopold website. I would choose the illuminated model with M2 dials, perfect for 600 yard hogs, yote's and steel. IMO.
enjoy the rifle, and keep it simple.

Bushnell 3.5-21x50mm with 34mm Tube G2DMR Mil/Mil Ret or the 3-14x44mm 30mm Tube with the G2DMR Mil/Mil Ret would be perfect for your setup and will be a Whole Lot Cheaper than $1,500 USD. Also Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16x50mm MRAD Mil/Mil would work well too.

Either of these Bushnell's would be a great choice.

Well I ended up with another F1 and it is heavier than I intended. I may pick up a more compact scope also.