• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mid- to high-end optic for Armalite SASS

hawkeye8

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2011
Hey all, sorry to make my first post sound like so many first posts, but would love to pick some brains that know a whole bunch more than I do. I'm moving into the big boy world to expand outside of AR-15s. Got a brand new SASS that needs some good glass. 90% of use will be range, 10% hunting. Range use will be recreational from 100-600 yards to start and will eventually move out to 1000-1200. For competitive range use, will need to be able to range and engage multiple targets from 100-1000 quickly and effectively. I'm 95% sold on FFP and Mil/Mil.

I'm a self-professed glass snob from using the good stuff in photograpy (anyone run a Nikon 70-200? Unreal what good glass can do). Anyway, my skill level will grow into my budget and I only want to buy once, so I'm starting with these which I think are where I want to be price-wise (the $2500+ stuff is probably huge overkill for me - this stuff may be too!):

Nightforce F1
USO SN-3
Vortex Razor 5-20

I'm not afraid to spend less, but not finding too many FFP options that also bring the durability/dependability/glass quality. Bottom line, I like to buy stuff that will last a long time and not have to worry about "trading up." Any guidance from those of you who are much wiser than me is greatly appreciated. There's a ton of knowledge out here and I'm glad I found this place. Thanks for reading!

Jon

Re: Mid- to high-end optic for Armalite SASS

Why settle? If you're gonna spring for an F1 or a Razor, may ad well step up and get a Premier or S&B. Less than $1000 more.

S&B PMII 3-12x50 gen2 mildot reticle... as you said, buy once. out of the ones you listed, I would go with the F1 simply for time sake and durability, however USO can build you whatever you want

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why settle? If you're gonna spring for an F1 or a Razor, may ad well step up and get a Premier or S&B. Less than $1000 more.

41 </div></div>

I gotta agree with the above. A friend of mine recently bought a used S&B from the used section for $2300, thats 300 more than the Razor and $600 more than the F1. That said, you can shop around for the Razor or the F1 and find them for considerably less and in great condition. Just sayin'

Just my opinion, but before you purchase your scope, borrow a good scope and group the shit out of your gun. No need to spend a whole lot of money on a scope if you aren't sub MOA.

I have a Nightforce 8x32x56, on my Super SASS. Some will say that it's too much scope for that rifle; but I found a killer deal here on the Hide. I did have to add a 20 MOA base so I could reach 1,000 yds. There is only 65MOA of elevation with that scope. This setup works for me,but YMV

That scope isn't in the same class ad the ones he's looking at.