• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Midway Shipping Cost?

MitchInOR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
Oregon, Willamette Valley
I'm curios if any one has ordered from Midway and how much they charged for shipping?

I had some items in my shopping cart and checked how much shipping was going to run me and the default option was UPS Sure Post. It's nice that their system automatically chooses the cheapest option. Normally USPS flat rate box as the cheapest so I scrolled down to that. $34.50 for Medium flat rate!

I thought this must be a mistake so I clicked on the live chat box at the bottom of the page and asked them if why the price has increased so much on USPS shipping. About five minutes later I received a reply that the cost was $13.55 and they asked why I don't choose UPS. As I was replying they terminated the session.

So now a couple hours later I go back again and the price is now $17.50 half of what it was earlier. I have ordered products from them for many years and this is the first time I have seen anything like this.

Re: Midway Shipping Cost?

Maybe a glitch in their system? My shipping usually ends up around $12 for small orders and $18 for large orders with UPS Ground, if I remember correctly.

Midway's shipping has been discussed on here several times. Everyone has their own opinion on them and what they do, myself included. I no longer buy from them.

Shipping costs have been outrageous lately. I've taken to shopping several other dealers and comparing prices and shipping. I just saved $40 on an order I put in through Brownells instead of Midway. I've been a Midway customer for about 15 years, but these are tough economic times.

Right now there is free S&H on optics. Just picked up an Aimpoint PRO for $365. W/ a promo code I got from another Hyde member.....Just get to dig around when funds are extremely limited...The deals are out there.

I chose USPS priority on one of my last orders... They shipped it via UPS to my Post Office annex! What the hell is up with that???

gotta remember, shipping includes whatever they call shipping, handling and insurance.....who knows why they charge different values at different times. Why do some packages arrive in two days, some in twelve?

Midway's S&H has been a long-standing and vigorously debated problem for as long as they've been charging for it (I for one recall when everything shipped free, but that's been a LONG damned time ago now). Their S&H charges makes no sense at times based on size/weight of products ordered and, in many instances, is just completely outrageous. Their $25 min order/service charge policy is also another PITA at times.

In many instances recently, their S&H actually appears to be artificially inflated (some would argue to offset their "discount codes" or other "specials"). I've been a loyal Midway customer for roughly 20 years now, but some issues with them recently, as well as what appear to be some hikes in prices across the board, have seriously made me question them as a whole to the extent that I know look high and low elsewhere before placing an order with them and even pay a slight premium to order from Hide vendors/sponsors before going to Midway.

My last order from Midway was that UPS sure post. The tracking looked like an Indiana Jones travel itinerary. According to the tracking the package actually passed my house once on the way here WTF...

I've have always had good success with Midway so far. I've often chosen them over other places simply because there seems to always be a sub $5 USPS shipping option for me, which is helpful for ordering small or cheap parts. I don't want to be stuck with a $10 UPS minimum shipping for a handful of jags or a few internal parts. The only place I avoid for crazy shipping is Cheaper Than Dirt. Their multiple warehouses each with different pricing and shipping fee randomosity sucks.

I'm in the middle of a $1k purchase on reloading gear between Opticsplanet and MidwayUSA. With the Opticsplanet 5% discount and free shipping (Although it's slower) the Opticsplanet comes out ahead on quite a bit. I also notice when you get several items instead of 1 the shipping usually reverts to UPS and between $18-$25. The shipping on and RCBS Charge master combo was the same almost when I added a Hornady Single Stage press to it and still under $25.

i hardly ever pay for shipping through midway. they always have codes if you look. either free shipping or a percentage off, either way its a savings and they have a crapload of inventory

I don't care for the UPS SurePost. Why is UPS doing a hand off to USPS? Instead of dropping the package at the local post office, why not just drop it off at my doorstep?

I don't mind paying shipping, but the "special handling fee" pisses me off. Add it to the shipping before hand, I hate getting my purchase, add shipping, then having $3 bucks added for a "special fee" that offsets shipping cost.

The new "Surepost" Midway has starting using sucks the big one!

Reloading gear can be found much cheaper than midway. Nachezss has the rcbs CM combo for $289- that's about $35 less than MW. Just a FYI in case somebody needs one right now.

Sinclair has free shipping on orders over $99 use promo code- DSQ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sinclair has free shipping on orders over $99 use promo code- DSQ</div></div>

That's good to know. I tried that at Brownells and the shipping is free. I don't know why I haven't shopped more with Brownells. I have bought a few items from them and when I first started reloading I bought items from Sinclair too.

I just checked at Midway and Medium flat rate cost is back up to $34.50. It's interesting that Large flat rate is less at $21.10. Yesterday it was $44 and some change. Both options are highly inflated. Yesterday after I was cut short on Midways chat box I sent the same message to their customer service via email. Hopefully they will get back to me or at least address these highly inflated prices.

I did not start this thread to slam on Midway. The couple times I have had to deal with their customer service I have been 110% satisfied on the outcome. But, I can't see spending $17 shipping a few parts when it can be done for almost half the cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redhooker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reloading gear can be found much cheaper than midway. Nachezss has the rcbs CM combo for $289- that's about $35 less than MW. Just a FYI in case somebody needs one right now. </div></div>

RCBS is $335 - $35 Midway Credit - $50 rebate for spending $300 with RCBS = $250... $250<$289...

The rebate is good no matter where you purchase your products.
Here's a link to the form:
RCBS
Buy some of the bonus items and it kicks the rebate up to $75-you have the machine for $214 FTW

I received this email from Midway this morning:

Thank you for your recent email concerning postage, handling and insurance. I apologize that you were unable to contact us via chat. MidwayUSA's "Fair & Honest" method of calculating Postage, Handling and Insurance allows Customers to only pay the costs associated with getting their order from MidwayUSA to their door. These charges are calculated based on the destination, method of shipment, number of packages, weight and dimensions of packages, and packing material and labor. Feedback such as yours will be captured and aggregated, and will drive future revisions. We appreciate your input, and hope that our ongoing efforts will ultimately improve your experience with us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redhooker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rebate is good no matter where you purchase your products.
Here's a link to the form:
RCBS
Buy some of the bonus items and it kicks the rebate up to $75-you have the machine for $214 FTW
</div></div>

You're not going to pick up a total of 4 additional items for just $11. And the shipping was less than $25 for all the items I ordered while Natchezz wanted to charge $20 for just the chargemaster alone...

Just a FYI is all. I have already got the rebate this year, some friends were unaware that the rebate could be had outside of midway. I purchased primers elsewhere and combined them for the $75 rebate, and paid less than $20 for the shipping. Midway has been raising prices regularly this year as I have a hellacious wish list on the site and every time I log in it shows the price changes (increases).

I too have been well into quad digits on reloading gear- your screen name describes my bank account this year, so if I see a good deal I try to share.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I received this email from Midway this morning:

Thank you for your recent email concerning postage, handling and insurance. I apologize that you were unable to contact us via chat. MidwayUSA's "Fair & Honest" method of calculating Postage, Handling and Insurance allows Customers to only pay the costs associated with getting their order from MidwayUSA to their door. These charges are calculated based on the destination, method of shipment, number of packages, weight and dimensions of packages, and packing material and labor. Feedback such as yours will be captured and aggregated, and will drive future revisions. We appreciate your input, and hope that our ongoing efforts will ultimately improve your experience with us.

</div></div>

Nice "dodge" of your question since they didn't bother to answer the WHY concerning discrepancies in the multiple S&H quotes. Oh well...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway's shipping has been discussed on here several times. Everyone has their own opinion on them and what they do, myself included. I no longer buy from them. </div></div>

Would never give them a red cent. Try buying something on back order, they charge you shipping twice...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunman_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway's shipping has been discussed on here several times. Everyone has their own opinion on them and what they do, myself included. I no longer buy from them. </div></div>

Would never give them a red cent. Try buying something on back order, they charge you shipping twice... </div></div>

That's why I buy from Brownells if at all possible. Pay shipping once even if your backorders trickle in over 2 or 3 shipments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redhooker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a FYI is all. I have already got the rebate this year, some friends were unaware that the rebate could be had outside of midway. I purchased primers elsewhere and combined them for the $75 rebate, and paid less than $20 for the shipping. Midway has been raising prices regularly this year as I have a hellacious wish list on the site and every time I log in it shows the price changes (increases).

I too have been well into quad digits on reloading gear- your screen name describes my bank account this year, so if I see a good deal I try to share. </div></div>

Totally understand. I honestly went to Natchezz right afterwards to compare since you had me worried lol. I might try to eek out 3 more RCBS items and get that $75...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway's S&H has been a long-standing and vigorously debated problem for as long as they've been charging for it (I for one recall when everything shipped free, but that's been a LONG damned time ago now). </div></div>

Exactly, when you used to have to call and read them the item #'s and description. They never messed up an order on me and shipping was free.

In the early 90's a friend and I were going to place an order but had found another reloading supply place in GA. So I ran the numbers. Midway was a little higher on individual items then, but the price was better getting free shipping from MO than paying for it from GA to FL.

Now, I go to either Powder Valley, Natchez, or MidSouth. If it's anything but brass and bullets, I try and use a vendor from here or other sites. Midway's crazy shipping rate calculator has caused me to delete the contents of my cart a few times. And then they send an apologetic email asking if something was wrong.

Most of the time when I'm shopping online, I'll have 2-3 identical orders from different reputable online retailers... Then choose the one with the lowest total cost (shipping included)
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the time when I'm shopping online, I'll have 2-3 identical orders from different reputable online retailers... Then choose the one with the lowest total cost (shipping included)
cool.gif

</div></div>
+1 This is how I order and often find that Midway is still cheaper. In fact I just ordered a Geissele SSA trigger and after checking out four different sites, found Midway's shipped to door price to be better by $5 than the nearest other choice. And less than Brownell's list price.

I'm not that picky though as I like Brownells and order from them regularly. I just still choose to order from the place that will give me the best price, unless I find that I have any difficulties.

Plus I like the fact that Midway rounds up for the NRA. As a life member, I know that each little bit adds up to make them a good supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights.

This is of course just my opinion and certainly understand and respect those that have had different experiences and make different choices.

Freakin' God Bless America!!

grin.gif