• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MidwestPX 5-round 7.62 PMAG - ?INTEREST?

ORD

Montani Semper Liberi
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2005
Morgantown, WV, USA
Hey guys,

I was just inquiring of Ty at MidwestPX about the possibility of him offering a 5-round LR20 7.62 PMAG. As you may or may not know, MidwestPX has been offering Magpul PMAGs in reduced capacity version for ban-states and for hunting purposes, including "cut down" 20-rounders of 5- and 10-round 5.56 mags, mag block designed reduced capacity mags. I have a few and they are truly excellent!!

Anyway, I inquired of MidwestPX about a cut-down design LR20 7.62 PMAG with a 5-round capacity. While the design of the mag does not lend itself to a cut-down, MidwestPX is willing to offer a mag-block design that will limit a 20-round to a 5-round mag if the demand is sufficient. If there's interest in at least 10 5rd LR20s, Ty will start designing a mold to make the right sized block. They'd be the same price as their 10rd counterparts ($28.75). The blocks he would make would go inside the mag spring so the spring rate is NOT affected.

I am committed to at least 2-3 of these mags for hunting purposes. If you are interested, please post your interest so that MidwestPX will know and hopefully we can get these mags underway.

Thanks for your interest!!

ORD out...

Re: MidwestPX 5-round 7.62 PMAG - ?INTEREST?

I'd like to see one that's cut so it hangs down no lower than the grip on the rifle. I really don't hunt, so I have no need for one limited in capacity, but I think there's definitely a market for modified ones.

I thought of an easy way to make a chopped down one but you wouldn't be able to disassemble it. I'm pursuing a method of chopping them down and still being able to be disassembled but won't have a proof of concept until Tuesday and there's no guarantee it'll work.

BTT...

More than just two people have to be looking for a reduced-capacity 7.62 PMAG?!?!?

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">
I'd be interested in a couple. But only if they are reduced in length as well. I have 6 of the 20 round PMags and several 4 round DPMS mags. I'd like to have a couple PMags nearly the same length as the 4 round DPMS mags.

Bob

</span> </span>

Sounds like a great idea, however, are the mags marked 5 rounds? If there not don't take them hunting. When a DNR officer stops you he wants to read 5 rounds on the magazine. Could just be my location, but it happened last season.

Chopping one down can be done however you won't be able to diassemble it.

What are your guys' thoughts on that? Would a permanently attached floorplate be a deal breaker?

Must be different by region. I used a C Products 19 rounder with a piece of wood in it to limit to 5 rounds. I was checked by a conservation officer and he just verified only 5 rounds would fit.

Bob

</span> </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a great idea, however, are the mags marked 5 rounds? If there not don't take them hunting. When a DNR officer stops you he wants to read 5 rounds on the magazine. Could just be my location, but it happened last season. </div></div>

Hey Boone,

I have seen this before. It happened to a buddy of mine in Hardy County a while back. For my other AR rifles, I have marked or engraved mag baseplates or ribs of mags with "5 Rounds ONLY". It isn't anywhere in state code (or DNR regs) and if you can prove the mags are limited in capacity it isn't an issue, but there are some incredibly dense DNR officers roaming the woods these days!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chopping one down can be done however you won't be able to diassemble it.

What are your guys' thoughts on that? Would a permanently attached floorplate be a deal breaker? </div></div>

It would not be a deal-breaker for me, but I do have some reservations about being able to clean out the mag bodies because of the fixed floorplate in the event that they get wet, muddy, etc. under field conditions.

Yea, I'd need to be able to service a cut down mag also. There was a posting a year or so ago about making shortened 5.56 mags for communist states. If I remember correctly, those were made so the floorplate could be removed. I'll see if I can locate one of those old posts. It may have been on ar15.com

Bob
</span> </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bobcape</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">
Yea, I'd need to be able to service a cut down mag also. There was a posting a year or so ago about making shortened 5.56 mags for communist states. If I remember correctly, those were made so the floorplate could be removed. I'll see if I can locate one of those old posts. It may have been on ar15.com

Bob
</span> </span> </div></div>

I make those as well but just about every state requires the modification be permanent so the floorplates are pinned.

I wonder why they don't make you permanently plug your shotgun tube?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bobcape</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">

Bob

I make those as well but just about every state requires the modification be permanent so the floorplates are pinned. </div></div>

Hey Ty,

Does that mean that the cut-down versions of the LR20 mags COULD be made with removable floorplates for takedown as long as the state in question does not require a permanent modification?

The way I understood your PM and post with the LR20's was that they HAD to be permanently modified because of the mag design, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bobcape</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">

Bob

I make those as well but just about every state requires the modification be permanent so the floorplates are pinned. </div></div>

Hey Ty,

Does that mean that the cut-down versions of the LR20 mags COULD be made with removable floorplates for takedown as long as the state in question does not require a permanent modification?

The way I understood your PM and post with the LR20's was that they HAD to be permanently modified because of the mag design, etc. </div></div>

Yes, the LR20s have to be permanently modified to be chopped down. I make chopped down 5.56 mags that don't need to be permanently modified i.e. pinned using a 20rd body since the ribbing of those is more pronounced and can support the floorplate.

+1 for the shotgun plug idea. Fish and Game officers accept a plug in your shotgun mag, why not just mag a plug for your AR mag. The concept should work with any AR PMAG, not just the 7.62.

I have actually been talking to Ty about a cut down for a while, though I didn't want to say too much until I had one in my hands to test. Yesterday I got one from him as a demo unit. As has been discussed, the mag is not able to be disassembled, which kind of sucks, but if there's no way to do it I suppose we'll just have to live with it. This mag is not blocked to a lower round capacity, though that's just an extra step, and I don't imagine it will be a problem. The idea for this specific one is to be more useful in field situations where you may be firing in a fashion that requires you to keep the rear of the rifle low, such as up a hill, on a downward slope, or on uneven ground. Obviously, the pistol grip sticks down and that limits how short we can really go with the mag, but lopping off an inch or so should make a significant difference.

I haven't had a chance to get out and use this yet, and my local range only lets you fire off a bench, so it may be a little time before I get to put this to the test in the field, but I don't see any reason that this wouldn't be a huge improvement over the standard LR20 in that situation.

Here you can see the roll pins that hold the baseplate on. There are 2 per side.

DSC_1891.jpg

Here it is lying on top of a standard LR20. The cut was made right at the bottom horizontal rib.

DSC_1888.jpg

Standing up.

DSC_1887.jpg

Here is the mag in the gun, and a standard LR20 in the gun. Not only does the LR20 touch the table, but it's lifting the grip up off the table.

DSC_1895.jpg

DSC_1897.jpg

The capacity of the magazine is now 15 rounds. I'll gladly give up 5 rounds in the type of shooting I'm doing to be able to have an easier time using the gun in the field.

DSC_1899.jpg

Just been brought to speed by ORD.... I'd be more than intrested in 2 5rd mags.

Kinnamon

So is there any plan to have a pinned 10 round or 5 rounder? I don't do a lot of hunting so cleaning from the top wouldn't be that bad for me. I could live with the spring block but I think the shorter mag would look better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steel1212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is there any plan to have a pinned 10 round or 5 rounder? I don't do a lot of hunting so cleaning from the top wouldn't be that bad for me. I could live with the spring block but I think the shorter mag would look better. </div></div>

Chopping it down further will require a modified spring. I'm working on that now.

How does a blocked 5rd mag chopped down by one rib sound? It would be externally identical to the prototype I supplied to Market Garden but with a block inside the spring to limit capacity to 5 rounds.

I actually got to use my cut down mag yesterday at a range that doesn't suck like my local range does (1 round in a mag at a time at the local place.) The cut down mag functioned flawlessly, and gave me more options when shooting off the bipod (as in, I didn't have to raise the bipod up high to get clearance under the mag.) I have a tactical-style match in 2 weeks where I'll actually be able to give it a good workout. I'm counting on the shorter mag giving me fewer problems when shooting from various improvised positions, and with a 15 round capacity, it'll still be a big advantage over the bolt gun guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steel1212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a reason you can't cut it down farther and not have to use a block? </div></div>

The LR20 spring is pretty stiff and chopping it down so drastically would require a cut spring and some significant testing to ensure proper function in all DPMS-pattern .308 ARs.

I'd prefer to deal with a slightly longer magazine that is 100% on function as opposed to having to chop up the mag internals and risk encountering reliability issues!

As I indicated in the other LR20 PMAG thread...I am still interested in the reduced-capacity design that incorporated the block limiting capacity to 5-rounds.

AWESOME!!! I'll get my order in tomorrow for a couple of these 5-rounders (and a few other items I need to pick up from you guys too)!!

Thanks again for doing this, Ty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steel1212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a reason you can't cut it down farther and not have to use a block? </div></div>

The LR20 spring is pretty stiff and chopping it down so drastically would require a cut spring and some significant testing to ensure proper function in all DPMS-pattern .308 ARs. </div></div>

Gotcha. So what about a 10 rounder the same way? In Kentucky we can hunt with 10 round mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steel1212</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steel1212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a reason you can't cut it down farther and not have to use a block? </div></div>

The LR20 spring is pretty stiff and chopping it down so drastically would require a cut spring and some significant testing to ensure proper function in all DPMS-pattern .308 ARs. </div></div>

Gotcha. So what about a 10 rounder the same way? In Kentucky we can hunt with 10 round mags. </div></div>

I tried blocking one but the block used in a chopped down mag to bring it to 10rds gets hung up in the spring. The slight curvature of the mag also makes it difficult to make a full-size block. Your best bet would be a block full-size LR20: http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_84&products_id=382

I'm in for at least two 5 rounders for hunting with my new OBR

Just a head's up but for those of you interested, I'm running out of LR20s (have about a dozen left) to make them and Magpul is backordered on them without ETA.

So I've been playing around and while I need to verify the spring rate to be right, here's a teaser of something I've got in the works:

x0odw3.jpg

And here it is relative to a 5rd M1A mag made by CMI

14vh8ba.jpg

Side by side (L to R: 5/7 stubby, 5/10/15 stubby, full size LR20)

2qlwi7b.jpg

Stacked up

25u6rd5.jpg

Standing "tall"

10717w2.jpg

My apologies for the funny pinkish tint...not sure how to work my wife's camera. Her DSLR is apparently alot harder than my PnS IS850.

Looks GREAT, Ty!!! Out of curiosity, how far does the "new" 5rnd LR20 PMAG extend below the mag well (I realize that different rifles have slightly different dimensions in this area, but a round number or "guesstimate" if you have one would be great)?

Once you get these finalized and ensure that the spring rate is correct and they are functional...I'll be in for a few!!

Thanks, Ty!!

I'll get a shot of one loaded in my MWS later this week however I don't anticipate any issues with any of the lowers as the bottom edge of the magwell should be beveled.

Oooh, pic me. I'm in for some when they are ready. I bought three stubbys for my lr308 a while back and haven't used anything else since. They are awesome. Thanks for great products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oooh, pic me. I'm in for some when they are ready. I bought three stubbys for my lr308 a while back and haven't used anything else since. They are awesome. Thanks for great products. </div></div>

Jonesboro, eh? I shot a three day EAG Tactical class with one of your SWAT snipers a few weeks back. Helluva shooter too. BGs of Jonesboro beware
smile.gif

I'll post results tomorrow
grin.gif

I would be interested in the "chopped" 5 rd Pmag when available as well!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a pic of the stubby in one of my MWS rifles:

stubbylmt.jpg
</div></div>

WOW! Those look great, Ty! Once you get the T&E done on these and they are ready to roll, count me in on a few!

Thanks again for your work on these!

LOVE that stubby!!! I will be getting a couple of those!

First of all, the MWS is a SWEET .308 AR to shoot. Secondly, the stubby works great in every tested condition. I'll have them available later today
grin.gif

Ordered two and sent a link to a buddy who might order some! Looking forward to getting my mitts on these!