• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Mikhail Kalashnikov passed away

I was'nt debating firsts though. But if I were, I would 100% agree. I was stating the AK was the greatest assault rifle design with a long history of success. I honestly dont know if Browning was the first in the world to design and manufacture a automatic rifle or who's design led to Kalashnikovs success. All I know is that I would trust the AK over anything else in its class and its hard for anyone else's design to match up.

Yup, he did the first semi-automatic rifle...

But I was also not raising the point of firsts. Every weapon mentioned that was designed by Browning and on the lists that diverdon and I posted is still in service today in some military... with the 1911 probably being the top of the list for 'competition' for the AK in longevity, simplicity and robustness. But don't write off the Ma Deuce and the Hi-Power. Both have been around a LONNNNNNG time. As an "Assault Rifle" design... certainly the AK triumphs. But there are a lot more military weapons than sturm-geweher's... . One can argue that Stoner's weapons, especially the AR-15/M16 has had a massive impact, too.

But if we are talking gun designs and designers... and I believe that in your original post you were... the AK does have real and supportable competition in the Browning designs. And don't forget those of Mauser-werke... which form the basis of many of today's bolt action and precision rifles and pre-date a lot of Browning's military work. Again... lots to debate.

However it's like arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin... at this point it's arguably a philosophical question and not a technical one. And philosophical questions, by their nature, have no firm answer, but make for fun conversations over beers. And on that note...

Merry Christmas!

Sirhr

To me, the weapon responsible for the death of most innocents (although we normally blame the user here and not the weapon) in modern history would be the Mongolian sword.

Using the definition I was given in school, that "modern" history started in 1066.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The AK has killied more people, usually unarmed civilians, execution style vs full on combat, other than the rare occurrence when two army's are equipped with AK's I cant find a single major battle where an AK has ruled the field in any battle against a non communist block armed adversary. Please state the successes on the field by the AK.

I was'nt debating firsts though. But if I were, I would 100% agree. I was stating the AK was the greatest assault rifle design with a long history of success. I honestly dont know if Browning was the first in the world to design and manufacture a automatic rifle or who's design led to Kalashnikovs success. All I know is that I would trust the AK over anything else in its class and its hard for anyone else's design to match up.

The AK has killied more people, usually unarmed civilians, execution style vs full on combat, other than the rare occurrence when two army's are equipped with AK's I cant find a single major battle where an AK has ruled the field in any battle against a non communist block armed adversary. Please state the successes on the field by the AK.

The ak is as responsible for this as the ar is for sandy nook. Stop talking drivel.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

True, low intelligence was not the right word, low skilled/quickly/poorly trained would probably be better. I do respect the intelligence level of the Russians. Dont disagree with most of the rest of your post at all.

The fast making is true but the low intelligence isn't. It was designed for fast making and harsh environment. had none to do with the user. The "Soviets" or Russians are everything but low intelligence or low skilled. They are generally not better intelligent wise than any other nation but their high-school diploma education used to be better than most college diploma in the USA.
The ideology that many Americans think a nation with bad economy is low skilled or low intelligent is stupid by itself. The Soviets lost the economic part of the cold war and the west won that part. On the other hand they were so good on the intellectual warfare that even now that Russia is becoming more and more capitalist , the USA is taking the effect of the Soviet brainwash and have more hard left politician grown up and educated on KGB propaganda machine than any other nation. The intellectual part of the cold-war the USA lost. Can't get into more details with the respecting the rule of keeping politics out of the forum and the comments.

As much as it pains me to say it, I can think of one long-term one immediately, paring away a bit at your preconditions for comparison. I think we can all think of the same one, and I don't think that anyone wants to even mumble it to avoid a shitstorm of old, bad memories.

Hate to say it but not one battle won with the AK, none that I read about.

As much as it pains me to say it, I can think of one long-term one immediately, paring away a bit at your preconditions for comparison. I think we can all think of the same one, and I don't think that anyone wants to even mumble it to avoid a shitstorm of old, bad memories.