• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mil based targets

Bloodstriker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2013
Not sure what section this should be in, but I thought it would be most appropriate here.

Most grid style sight in targets I see are based on 1" squares. This works great for a scope with MOA based turrets.

I'm wondering if there is anything out there that is mil based? I know I can simply use the reticle to determine how far I am off, but having a target like this would be nice.

Thanks. I saw that but unless I'm mistaken, it looks like the target is designed for use at 100 yards and not 100 meters. This means that the points of the diamonds are not in whole number centimeter increments.

I never realized how hard it was to find a cm grid target until now...

OP, you can produce your own to shoot at, or you can go to your office supply store and see if you can find some 1cm gridded graph paper. Apply your own dots or whatever other personal touches with a Sharpie, and have at it.

MOA's are not inches and MRAD's are not Metric

This.

Just put your inch-based target at a distance of 1,000 or 10,000 inches and it will be a perfect fit for your mrad-based reticle.

If you have a mil/mil scope you shouldn't need any grid lines for reference. Measure it with the reticle and dial it. Simple as that.

Not everyone has a mil reticle in their spotting scope as well, hence why it can be easier to simply use a centimeter based grid setup. We all know that mils aren't metric and moa isn't imperial, but let's face it, there's easier ways of doing things and then there's stubborn ways (and I'm one stubborn bastard when it comes to most things). Some don't want a grid system on their targets, but when zeroing and doing group analysis (especially post firing), I prefer it. Thinking .36" per .1 mil click on the 100yd line isn't that hard when you're staring through the spotting scope at 1" grid lines, but why keep making do with what we have when there could be a better way of doing business? Isn't that why matching reticles and turrets came to the forefront in the first place?

I'm sure many shooters using moa based turrets would rather see moa based grids on their targets as well. 1" is not 1moa. Close, but it isn't.

Yeah, but checking the reticle to make sure its set in the scope properly and spaced (having each dot at 3.6" @ 100yds) along with a box test is smart no matter what kind of scope it is.

So make a few lines on a piece of paper and calibrate the reticle setting that way. Thats the beauty of a FFP reticle, there isn't any making sure your reticle is set perfectly. You also don't need lines to to a box test. Put a bunch of dot targets on a piece of cardboard, use one for your aiming and measure with the reticle and dial. You check the reticle calibration and tracking in one test.

You're making it seems harder than it needs to be.

Thanks. I saw that but unless I'm mistaken, it looks like the target is designed for use at 100 yards and not 100 meters. This means that the points of the diamonds are not in whole number centimeter increments.

What is funny is that it no worse than people using 1" at 100yd. It is still off by about the same amount. The 1" squares should be used at 95.493yd and the 1cm at 100m.

The Sniper's Hide Target is both Mil and MOA based and has all the elements to check your reticle and your adjustments.

The grid is mil based here:
Sniper-Hide_Target_Accuracy_MIL-RAD_V1-Final(1).jpg

The MOA version is the same but .25MOA Squares...
Sniper-Hide_Target_Accuracy_MIL-RAD_V1-Final(1).jpg

If you level the line on the left you can then check basic functions. Including tracking

Not sure what section this should be in, but I thought it would be most appropriate here.

Most grid style sight in targets I see are based on 1" squares. This works great for a scope with MOA based turrets.

I'm wondering if there is anything out there that is mil based? I know I can simply use the reticle to determine how far I am off, but having a target like this would be nice.

I've got a couple I put together in Power Point. I could send them to you if you want to pm me your email address.

John