• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Mil-Dot estimation Challenge

Re: Mil-Dot estimation Challenge

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ntexaslongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this has gotten slow so here's one.

the reticle is a bit fuzzy but you can still get it. nxs mil line reticle

48" width and height of board
9" white center circle
22" shoulder to shoulder

i like these. will try to get out soon and take some more.

100_0305.jpg
</div></div>

scope not level? rifle looks level.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Dead end sign - a diamond road sign is typically 24"x24" square. That makes the height of the sign 34 inches when rotated 45 degrees, not accounting for the 3/4" radius on the corners.

Range is 189 yards.

Calling the dead end sign at 111 yards. Smaller signs are typicaly used in town.

1,420 yards for the top,

670 yards for the bottom.

Anywhere close? It's been a while since I've ranged.

Light brown caravan with 3 square windows on right?

ristikko1600x1200.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Light brown caravan with 3 square windows on right?

ristikko1600x1200.jpg
</div></div>

Too far for me to shoot accurately lol, probably 1,300 or more!

For the top pic of ewoaf's target...

23" * 27.78=638.94 divided by .5 Mils equals 1277 yards.....give or take a few...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the top pic of ewoaf's target...

23" * 27.78=638.94 divided by .5 Mils equals 1277 yards.....give or take a few...</div></div>
that's what I called it too - 1277 with the same numbers and 852 on the bottom one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2 pics, two ranges, same 23" wide target........ready,go!

25po954.jpg
</div></div>

Got 638 for this one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Light brown caravan with 3 square windows on right?

</div></div>

Between 2000 and 2300 yards

Here's one--12" target/SFP reticle, set at 18x and mil is cald for 12 (math is proportionally correct for magnification change in this optic--Nikon Buckmaster's MD)--

IMG_0712-1.jpg

(hint--this is a permanent tgt. at a rifle range)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canis Latrans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mil-1008.jpg

Target is the DEAD END sign. </div></div>

Sorry for the long wait everyone, I posted the answer but I guess it didn't go through LOL. At least everyone got to guess. I averaged 2 different readings to get about 240 yards to the dead end sign.

I'd like to clear up confusion on the measure of the dead end sign. I personally verified this exact sign is 24x24" FROM THE SIDES. Using Pythagorean theorem that means that the diagonal of the sign is 33.9". So the hight of the yellow face of the sign is 34". The picture was fuzzy which accounts for more error but most of it came from the incorrect size estimation of the target.

IMG_0698.jpg

The target this time is the truck, the butterfly is a friendly(not built to scale).

WARNING: Next post will contain answer.

Approximately two hundred and twenty-five yards to the front of the truck. It is behind a trailer in this picture.

Crow

The two crows to the left are innocent, and cowering in fear. The target is on the right, and is about to kill the two civilian crows. You can use the mailbox as an aid, but the crow on the right is the target that must be ranged.

Re: Crow

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not very good at this, but trying to learn, how about 275yds. The mailbox is really throwing me off
crazy.gif
. </div></div>

Well, lets see what happened here. I used the crow and my estimate came very close. If you are using the mailbox however, you must first know that the bottom of the box part of the mailbox SHOULD measure about 42" from street level. Knowing this we use our inches formula:

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Target Size in Inches x 28</span> = Distance in yards
Target Size in Mils

I found the mailbox measured about 7 mils to the bottom

<span style="text-decoration: underline">42s x 28</span> = 168 yards
The answer comes out to be 168 yards. This is not the correct number, but it would be if we estimated the number of mils correctly and the height of the mailbox was correct. What did you do differently to arrive at 275 yards?

Tried to mil the crow on the right guessing him to be 20" from base of beak to start of tail, but thinking back that still would't add up. My first thought was 185yds using the upright post on the box as a 4"x4" post and a .6 mil size. I should've stuck with my first instincts
smirk.gif
. My sizing is more like a raven, LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tried to mil the crow on the right guessing him to be 20" from base of beak to start of tail, but thinking back that still would't add up. My first thought was 185yds using the upright post on the box as a 4"x4" post and a .6 mil size. I should've stuck with my first instincts
smirk.gif
. My sizing is more like a raven, LOL. </div></div>

I see. Well I looked up the size of American crows. One site said they range from 14-18", another 15-20" as adults. This one was not that large so I estimated 16". I can say that I was very close to the correct range.

Well if I am that's got to be the biggest mailbox post I've ever seen. 3.75in(the post)/36in(1mil@1K)* 1000 divided by number of mils 1 = 104 yards 90 was a guess!

I dont know how you guys do it.... i find it VERY hard to get the camera aligned perfectly with the scope.

this one is backwards

Distance is 750.37 yards
If i remember right the magnification was set at 16x for this one.

100_0719.jpg

how tall is she

For the Crow Mailbox picture

Only my 2nd post. I've just been lurking and learning what a can. This is only my 4th mil-dot range estimation...go easy...

I got 167 Yards

Crow about a foot tall so say .333 yards x 1000 / 2 mils = 166.5 yards...round up to 167?

And I gotta say I love this forum, a lot of interesting information and people...Awesome thread too I have had a lot of fun with it on my breaks at work....like right now lol

My body covers 3.2 mils at 660 yards. How tall am I?

Answer at the bottom left of this post

@&*$*&^&$$@#^
#&*^$6-04*&&^
*&^&^$$%^*%%*