• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mil Dot or MLR Recticle on night force?

Grizzdude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
sites.google.com
Hi guy's I'm about to get a 5.5-22x56 Nightforce scope. I was wondering what is a better reticle to go with for long range shooting? It seems like the MLR would be a good choice. Do you guys have experience with these two reticles? Thanks

Re: Mil Dot or MLR Recticle on night force?

If your going with mil based adjustments I would use the MLR. IF your going with moa adjustments I would use the NP-1R.

Would you recommend a new shooter buy a MLR2 if he was getting an moa adjusted scope?

Yeah it looked like the MLR gives a less obstructed view, I plan on getting the .1 mil adjusted scope.

I've shot the 22x mildot out to 1000 and the clear dots are really nice. My buddy owns a 22x MLR so I've used that also.

Between the two, it just depends on whether you need half-mil marks or not. If indifferent, then it's whether you prefer dots vs dash.

I'm not a fan of NF scopes but the dots on their mildot are a wonderful design.

The MLR2 is only in the 3.5-15x50mm F1 scopes. Very nice scopes love it and we have a few in stock.

As for the MD or MLR I recommend the MLR it is a great RET also. The Half mil marks are a big plus.

I would recommend the 50mm over the 56mm so you can get the scope lower. I have not seen a big beifet to the 56mm. I prefer get the scope lower.

We have a good amount of NF scopes in stock.

Mike @ CST

Mike gave me some really good advice three or four years ago when I was looking for another 5.5-22 NF. He said: Get a 3.5-15x50. And he was right.

I should have said: 3.5-15x50 F1 MLR2.

Here is a list of reasons to get the Mil Dot over the MLR:

This is a list of reasons to get the MLR:

-more precise half mil marks and 1/4 mil marks at 12 and 3.
-the lines are more attractive to look at and easier to line up with than an empty circle.

have you ever used a Mil type reticle before? I'd go hashes over dots for easier calculations, but if you are just wanting something that looks cool - it doesnt matter. I'd recommend the hashes though.

Between the mil dot and MLR the MLR is much better IMO.

I would also make sure you get mil knobs on the nightforce. Other than that you will be good to go

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcolev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would also make sure you get mil knobs on the nightforce. Other than that you will be good to go </div></div>

I 100% agree. Mil on Mil.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would recommend the 50mm over the 56mm so you can get the scope lower. I have not seen a big beifet to the 56mm. I prefer get the scope lower.

We have a good amount of NF scopes in stock.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

I will be putting this on a savage 110ba with a 20moa base on it, also I will primarily shoot this from 1500-2000 yards. Will there still be an advantage with the lower 50mm or will the scope have to be raised a little anyway for the long distance shooting?

MLR with mil adjustments. I couldn't be any happier with mine. I quess it is really personal preference, so go to their website and stare at both reticules for a while. Unless you can get both of them in your hands to compare them.

I have the MLR and think it is great. It is much more precise than the mil dot. You won't be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grizzdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be putting this on a savage 110ba with a 20moa base on it, also I will primarily shoot this from 1500-2000 yards. Will there still be an advantage with the lower 50mm or will the scope have to be raised a little anyway for the long distance shooting? </div></div>

I haven't run ballistics for your rifle but 2K may require a 30MOA base or even more which slants the front of the scope down.... I'm betting that you'll need 40moa to get there. I have a 45MOA base on my 300WM and have topped out my Razor shooting over 2K.

This is one of those cases where less is more. The 50mm will be easier to mount up and still get behind (as the back of the scope also raises with the steeper base). I have a 50 on my NXS and I have no problem seeing detail at those distances.

John

2k yds... I'd love to be able to find that much free space.

I'm trying to make the same decision myself and MLR w/ Mil adjustments looks to be the winner IMO.

I shoot a 5.5-22 56mm Mil/Mil with the MLR reticle. My buddy shoots a Mil/MOA 5.5-22 56mm Mildot reticle. I've shot both rifles enough to have a preference. I like the MLR reticle better because it's less cluttered.

But, let me say this as have others, if you are going to get Mil turrets, the MLR is the reticle to have. If you're not going to get Mil turrets, neither one of these reticles will be much use.