• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes mil dot size per 100

rcm243

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
camden,tn.
What is the footprint of the mil dot per 100 yds and at what power on the NXS 5X22 NIGHTFORCE,I`m thinking at 22 power on this scope is right, where on the Nikon it is 12 power.

Re: mil dot size per 100

I know how much there is between dots,I would like to know how much the dot covers at a given range,I wouldn`t have to ask this question if I hadn`t loaned out the manual that came with the scope to a friend who went to Mich. to work for a short time about 2 days after I let him take the book home to look at it.

Check out the NF site (library section) and you should be able to download the manual.

Who cares if he filled out his profile or not? He just has a simple question, and if someone can't or doesn't want to answer it then why post?

If it's a round army style mil dot it should be .2 of a mil. If it is football shaped like the marines supposedly use it should be .25 of a mil. That would mean at 100 yards the round would be .72" and the oval would be .9" if a mil is 3.6". You could measure it yourself by putting a clearly labeled ruler on the range and locking the scope down real well.

No ruler needed,

Given that the mil relation formula for yards is:

(Size of target in inches x 27.78) / mils = range in yards

And you know the range and mils, just solve for target size...

Range x mils (in this case .2)) / 27.78 = whammy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mil dot is .2 mils...</div></div>
Depends on the scope. The Circle on the NF Mildot scope is <span style="font-weight: bold">0.25 MILS</span> edge to edge. Some other brands of scopes they are 0.2 MILS and some are 0.22 MILS.

The NF 5.5-22 SFP needs to be on 22x to MIL correctly. (The Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x needs to be at 12x to MIL correctly). You need to verify if it is exactly at the 22x or if not, just mark the exact area with silver sharpie, etc and then you will have it mapped correctly.

If you are shooting on a Yard range, the center dot to center dot should cover 3.6" in length on the target. If you are on a Meter Range, 1 MIL on the scope should cover 10CM at 100M. We have to-scale targets that print on 8.5x11 paper I can email out if you guys are interested... They are MIL and MOA sized for easy verification.
target17_4.jpg

We have a cheat sheet that I showed to NightForce and they told me, "This makes it almost too easy to shoot." That was a big compliment coming from them...

MDT_TX.jpg

Mark

Good point Storm.

You need to be sure of your mil dot size, even given the difference between the .2 and the .22 mil dot, its less than an inch at 1000 yrds.

But when ranging using the mil dot the difference can be about 100 yrds.

A cheat sheet or a formula will work, but you need to know your equipment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canis Latrans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's a round army style mil dot it should be .2 of a mil. If it is football shaped like the marines supposedly use it should be .25 of a mil. </div></div>

It can be whatever the manufacturer wants it to be. That's why the good ones provide specs in their manual or on request.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canis Latrans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who cares if he filled out his profile or not? He just has a simple question, and if someone can't or doesn't want to answer it then why post?

</div></div>

Knowing his locale, members could point him to a local club and/or member who could give them hands on help, shoot with them, etc.....

Why not fill out your profile...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canis Latrans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who cares if he filled out his profile or not? He just has a simple question, and if someone can't or doesn't want to answer it then why post?

</div></div>

Knowing his locale, members could point him to a local club and/or member who could give them hands on help, shoot with them, etc.....

Why not fill out your profile...?</div></div> I just filled out my profile as much as my computer skills will allow. Thanks everyone for the help, I was in a situation this morning, 2 coyotes were in a long pasture and the grass was tall enough that I couldn`t get a range reading with my rangefinder at the distance of about 4 to 500 yds, knowing the height of a coyote and only being able to see about half of their bodies, I couldn`t use the mils to see the ground to the top of their backs which is about 20 inches, I thought if I knew the size the dot would cover at the distance they were at that maybe I could smack one of them. I let them walk,I`ll be back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canis Latrans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who cares if he filled out his profile or not? He just has a simple question, and if someone can't or doesn't want to answer it then why post?

</div></div>

Why not fill out your profile...? </div></div>

This.

It's also stated in the forum rules.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vietnamvet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just filled out my profile as much as my computer skills will allow. Thanks everyone for the help, I was in a situation this morning, 2 coyotes were in a long pasture and the grass was tall enough that I couldn`t get a range reading with my rangefinder at the distance of about 4 to 500 yds, knowing the height of a coyote and only being able to see about half of their bodies, I couldn`t use the mils to see the ground to the top of their backs which is about 20 inches, I thought if I knew the size the dot would cover at the distance they were at that maybe I could smack one of them. I let them walk,I`ll be back. </div></div>

I suppose you could have used half of their body (10 inches) to get your distance and then dial in?

The "height of target" doesn't necessarily need to mean the actual height of the target, just what you can see, in your case 10".

I think they might not end up too happy if you see them again.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canis Latrans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's a round army style mil dot it should be .2 of a mil. If it is football shaped like the marines supposedly use it should be .25 of a mil. </div></div>

It can be whatever the manufacturer wants it to be. That's why the good ones provide specs in their manual or on request.
</div></div>
<span style="font-style: italic">"Ding! Ding!"</span> <span style="font-style: italic">LoneWolfUSMC</span> nailed it. Schmidt & Bender's P3 Mil Dot has .25 MIL (1/4 MIL) diameter <span style="font-style: italic">round</span> dots.

Manufacturers' may also vary the dot size to suit task-specific or task-oriented reticles. For instance, Premier Reticles Gen 2 dot size is 0.2 MIL (2/10th of a MIL), <span style="font-style: italic">but the dot size of the Gen 2 XR is 0.1 MIL (1/10th of a MIL).</span>

Keith

Nothing against people who like profiles filled out, but he obviously just had an earnest question and IMO it makes more sense to just help him out.

Good point above with going to a known range and using the ranging calculations to figure out the size of the dots. I didn't even think of that.

Does anyone other than myself wonder how the reticle subtends the same amount at 10X as 15X (dimensions C, D and E), or gets smaller from 4x to 10x and 15x then bigger at 22x?

The length of A is dependant on FOV, but the line width?

If I understand your question correctly, these are the mil values that have been calibrated for scopes of varying magnification set on a SPECIFIC mag as shown in the inset box of the 2nd figure. The mil values for the different reticle dimensions (features) shown in the table on the 1st figure correspond to a SPECIFIC scope at the specified mag, NOT the same scope at different mags. Basically, it is a reticle that is the same in appearance, but that has been calibrated to represent these specific mil values at the maximum mag value (NXS models only) in several scopes of different magnification ranges.

For example, the post thickness (C) represents 0.5 mil in the 1-4X NXS set on 4X, 0.45 mil in the 2.5-10x NXS set on 10X, 0.45 mil in the 3.5-15X set on 15X, and 0.46 mil in 5.5-22X set on 22X. Does that make sense?

Clearly that's what they meant, but getting that from the diagram is none too clear. I've had a number of people very confused when reading that description. They realy need to indicate that they are referring to the ranging power setting, which is none too clear from the text.

Hey VVet-- i also use my reticles to rangefind coyotes. This past year i RR'd 2 at between 400 and 500 yds. and was close enough on range calc. that i would have made hits if i didn't have the laser. I used a 3 MOA reticle system (TK Lee dots) in that particular rig (AR-15).

I always calc. my system for the avg. back to brisket measurement (11"). I use b-b since that is the most consistent profile that game gives you most of the time, with very little angular error. Most of the time i don't see the animals paws/hooves since they are always in some kind of grass/brush.

Here is the system i use for Darrell Holland's HUMR reticle using a .5 mil subtension unit that i put in a Butler Creek Blizzard style scope cap cover--

IMG_0630.jpg

HUMRDiagram.jpg

Can't figure out why NF went for the .25 mil dot, since most folks work in a base 10 system, plus interpolating to a finer degree of accuracy is just inherently more accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canis Latrans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing against people who like profiles filled out, but he obviously just had an earnest question and IMO it makes more sense to just help him out.

Good point above with going to a known range and using the ranging calculations to figure out the size of the dots. I didn't even think of that. </div></div>

It's in the rules, bro.

Quit being a non conformist. Just fill it out and be done with it, that's the best route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone other than myself wonder how the reticle subtends the same amount at 10X as 15X (dimensions C, D and E), or gets smaller from 4x to 10x and 15x then bigger at 22x? The length of A is dependant on FOV, but the line width? </div></div>

Cory

I agree with you and gstaylorg. They are putting the dimensions for several different SFP scopes in there at once (1-4x, 2.5-10x, 3.5-15x, 5.5-22x) all at the correct milling (ie max) setting. So the numbers bounce back and forth, and look confusing. They also still list the line thickness as MOA, i.e., .093 MOA @ 22x instead of saying 0.027 MIL (call it 0.03 MIL). They have not updated the manual since offering the MIL turret, which is now the common option with MIL type reticles. The scope manuals from many companies I have reviewed could all use a rewrite...

Here is a larger version of the right half of our Reticle Hold page with tech specs for each reticle. This is more handy to have in the field, already in the Data Book for reference, and I made it simple to see and apply. I chose 5.5-22x SFP for this page, instead of confusing the shooter with many different dimensions and scope magnifications... I spend about 5 hours per page drawing these, trying to make them comprehensive yet visually quick to grasp and apply in the field or classroom.

I am doing these for all the popular reticles in RnR (6 ring binder) and heavy paper (3 ring binder) and they shoud fit in all the popular Data Book sizes.
mildot_large.jpg