• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Mil Dot vs. Tactical Milling Reticle

Denn1911

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2010
MA
www.firstdefensefirearms.com
I'm interested in purchasing the Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50mm LR/T M1 Scope with Illuminated reticle. What are your thoughts and experiences with a Tactical Milling reticle? Pros and cons of the TMR vs. a Mil-Dot? Thanks.

Re: Mil Dot vs. Tactical Milling Reticle

Love the TMR's, had my Nightforce mildot changed to MLR, and love my IOR MP8 reticle (1/2 mil marks - and edge 1/4 are great)

The Mildot has superior visibility in low-light conditions, but the TMR, with the hash mark between even mil marks, makes ranging and holdovers more precise.

It's a pity that you can't get the Premier Gen II reticle in a Leupold any more, because it's the best mil reticle there is, as it combines visibility with the precision of that half-mil mark.

I'm a newbie and just purchased a Rem. 700 LTR. I am trying to learn as much as I can about long range shooting. I have a few friends with a good base of experience who are offering advice. This is the common scope among them so I'm leaning towards it. It's more scope than I need right now, but I figure that I can grow with it. Am I off base in that frmae of thinking?

Leupolds are not that great of a buy,

in regards to value for money,

however could you find a second hand one for a good price and still want it,

just to run the same optics as your friends, then get it.

/Best regards Chris

+1 - get a used one here on the Hide - there are always great deals on Leupold's. I use them and like them but then again I don't have 2k to spend on a scope at the moment.

Hashes vs. dots.

My scope is mil-dot. My friends use hashes. At a recent shoot we did extensive unknown range drills requiring milling of targets. I thought the hashes would be more precise. What I found out is that it didn't matter as our range estimates were essentially identical every time. My conclusion? Get what you like best and just learn to use it.

I think it is more critical to have turrets that match your reticle (Mil/Mil) personally than dots vs. hashes. So if you can find a reasonably priced scope with mil turrets and mil-dot reticle I'd jump on it vs. one that has TMR reticle and MOA turrets.

A buddy of mine bought a Leupold with TMR recently. maybe it was just me, but it looked like the crosshairs don't meet in the middle. Call me old fashioned, but that is typcially where my focus locks. I can't imagine trying to hold off like that. I actually prefer a very small dot in the middle.

Anyone else see this?

I like the TMR reticle better because you can range more accurately and if your shooting movers your leads are more precise. I agree in getting a used Leupold or possibly getting an NF if it is hovering around the same price so you can get your illuminated reticle standard.

Great advice from everyone- please keep the info/ opinions coming. I've been looking here on the classifides but haven't found one yet. I'm trying to be patient while continuing to research my options.

Have had both, preferred the TMR.

I've used both and prefer Mil Dot reticles for the same reasons Lindy and XOR mentioned. I use a Premier Gen 2 Mil Dot reticle with hashmarks between each dot. This, to me, is the best of both worlds.

Depending on the magnification setting and color of your background, the holdover trees on TMRs don't always show up. If you rely on them and can't see them for some reason, you'll be back to the main crosshair anyway.

Get whichever is more compatible with your shooting style. Not everyone can use a Mil Dot and not everyone needs a massive amount of holdover marks.

Just wanted to update those who posted here. I appreciate all of your comments. I picked up a Leupold MK4 LR/T M1 4.5-14x50 IL TMR at a great price so I couldn't pass it up. I'm waiting on my rail and rings and am hoping to love it. If it turns out not to be the one for me, I'll post it in the classifieds and pass the savings on to someone else. Thanks again.