• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mil/Mil on a budget

lostinthewoods

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
I am looking for a budget Mil/Mil scope to learn how to range with a Mil Dot reticle. My current options are the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x 40mm model# 321040T and the Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm model# 800480

I am looking to spend not more than $300. Max magnification not more than 10x. Can be fixed or variable but prefer fixed. Must be mil/mil. Looking for the best bang for my buck here.

Am I missing any options in this price range? I have played around with the Bushnell with .25 MOA adjustments and found the glass adequate for my needs. Is the Weaver worth the 50% premium? The Bushnell has 80 moa (23.5 mil) of adjustment vs. the Weaver's 56 moa range. I haven't read any tests on the Weaver but the Bushy seems to have been put through the wringer and come up as a winner in the value market. Any thoughts or input appreciated.

Re: Mil/Mil on a budget

if yer looking to go that cheap I would def. get the Bushy

The Super Sniper is not an option as it is currently not available with 1/10 Mil adjustments.

Gaffer what did that link have to do with the OP's question. That scope has MOA adjustments with a Mil reticle.

His question is Mil reticle and Mil knob adjustments.

@ the OP, I think for money wise, I think you hit the nail on the head.

The SS 10x HD and SS 3-9x are a couple hundred up from there. Then the Vortex Viper PST.

But for three Benjamins, you are right on the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lostinthewoods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Super Sniper is not an option as it is currently not available with 1/10 Mil adjustments. </div></div>

The 3-9x42 is MIL/MIL FFP
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx </div></div>

That is way out of my budget. Not looking to spend more than $300.

Thanks for all of the responses. I didn't get this many replies in a week at other forums. Keep the suggestions coming.

Millett TRS-1. Mil/Mil for under 300 bucks. Got two of them, great scopes for the money!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gaffer what did that link have to do with the OP's question. That scope has MOA adjustments with a Mil reticle.

His question is Mil reticle and Mil knob adjustments. </div></div>

Should have checked,just found Mueller through a friend a few months back and have no experience with them.

I would go with the Bushenll. For $200 you get a proven Japanese scope with repeatable 1/10 Mil turrets.

Last month I picked up a Bushnell 3200 10X mil/mil at Midway for $199. Pretty nice little scope.

They are on sale this month for $199 also.

Hi:
I picked up the Nikon Buckmaster with mil-dot reticle...It is 4x14, with the mil ranging at the 12power mark....The better model is the one that is up to 18 power...it has two sets of target knobs that can be installed with a 4 inch scope shade that can be attached....All for about $300.00 bucks through Midway USA....They usually go on sale the last week of the month....Worth the money on the great lens~!

Wotac and Nikon are both MOA adjustments. He's wanting MIL adjustments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lostinthewoods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for a budget Mil/Mil scope to learn how to range with a Mil Dot reticle. My current options are the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x 40mm model# 321040T and the Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm model# 800480

I am looking to spend not more than $300. Max magnification not more than 10x. Can be fixed or variable but prefer fixed. Must be mil/mil. Looking for the best bang for my buck here.

Am I missing any options in this price range? I have played around with the Bushnell with .25 MOA adjustments and found the glass adequate for my needs. Is the Weaver worth the 50% premium? The Bushnell has 80 moa (23.5 mil) of adjustment vs. the Weaver's 56 moa range. I haven't read any tests on the Weaver but the Bushy seems to have been put through the wringer and come up as a winner in the value market. Any thoughts or input appreciated.
</div></div>

Based on your criteria, the only choice (and a good one regardless) is the Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x mil/mil.

It's better optically than the Mueller and Super Sniper. I don't know why anyone suggested the SS. The basic SS is moa dials, and the mil one is $600.
crazy.gif

For lower end optics, I tend to favor fixed power. Less lenses for light to pass through = brighter. Usually clearer than their variable brothers in that price range. Simpler is better at the lower end.

The 3200 also has rainguard. Decent turrets and plenty of adjustment range.

If the Weaver has the same glass as the Grand Slam series, then it's more comparable to the 4200. Better than the 3200, but nothing to get excited over. Still, it's not an apples to apples comparison - the Weaver is $300 on sale (regularly $400) ...vs. the 3200 which is regularly $250ish, and on sale at $200. Regular pricing, the Weaver is nearly 2x the price. That's because the 3200 is almost always on sale somewhere for $200. In effect, a $200 scope regularly.

I have been using the Weaver 3-10X 40 as found at Midway, it is definitely worth the money and a very good entry level scope for someone to explore Mil / Mils

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using the Weaver 3-10X 40 as found at Midway, it is definitely worth the money and a very good entry level scope for someone to explore Mil / Mils </div></div>

Have you used the Bushnell? I curious as to how they compare optically and mechanically. Thanks.

The old 3200 Bushnell (with moa clicks and mildot reticle) was a long-time favorite backup and beginner scope. I'm sure the 3200 with mil adjustments would be a great successor.

The Weaver Lowlight mentioned would be a good one as well. I've had great luck with Weaver's repeatability over the years. The only caveat is that with the Weaver mentioned ( http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=598484 ) you need to be on the max magnification to range and have the adjustments match the reticle.

If SWFA would get the adjustments on their original fixed power SS line to be in mils they would be the cat's ass in the category, because they would have parallax adjusment too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wotac and Nikon are both MOA adjustments. He's wanting MIL adjustments. </div></div>
Only the 4-14 power Wotac is MOA, the 2 that Flyingbullseye listed are both Mil/Mil.

To the OP, I'm in the same boat right now. For me, I've narrowed it down to either the Weaver or the Wotac. Leaning towards the Wotac since it has parallax adjustment, great warranty, and the Gen. 5's seem to have all the bugs worked out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Woodturner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wotac and Nikon are both MOA adjustments. He's wanting MIL adjustments. </div></div>
Only the 4-14 power Wotac is MOA, the 2 that Flyingbullseye listed are both Mil/Mil.

To the OP, I'm in the same boat right now. For me, I've narrowed it down to either the Weaver or the Wotac. Leaning towards the Wotac since it has parallax adjustment, great warranty, and the Gen. 5's seem to have all the bugs worked out. </div></div>

Oops! I stand corrected! I still like my mil/mil Milletts for the price!

I was just starting to look at options for glass on my incoming 308, and I think this thread has me decided on the Bushnell 3200.

I have the weaver 3x10 and like it very much. the glass is pretty good and the turrets go back to zero every time . it has a fixed parallax if that matters to you . for me Its not an issue since I will be using it for hunting and I dont want to be fiddling with an adjustment while trying to get on a deer or coyote. just to clear things up you have to be on 10 power to use the mil dots to range or hold over , but the turrets are resetable so if you know your dope for what ever load you are using all you have to do is adjust your turret up the correct number of mils and you are good to go , no matter what power your on.

Spend more on a scope and get a cheap rifle, if possible. The scope is where the magic happens. If you can afford to save up for a bit longer, that would be the best.

You can take any old mil/moa scope are remark the turrets with a bit of tape and a permanent marker. Getting a scope that tracks and is repeatable is the most important thing.

Weaver would be the minimum, Leupold would be better if you can save a bit more. I'd stay away from Bushnell and Millett, they work some of the time, but you can easily get one that doesn't (speaking from experience). On my Millett, 1mil indicated = 0.75mil downrange... which makes the mildot reticle fairly pointless.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B0HEMI0N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...787#Post1941787 </div></div>

Thanks for the link. That sealed it for me. Scope ordered tonight. Should have it by Monday. Will take it out next weekend to run it through it's paces.

Thanks to all who responded!