• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mil/Mil scopes suggestions

sdom001

Private
Minuteman
Hey guys,
I thought I had settled on a scope. I was going to go with the Hawke Sidewinder Tac 4.5-16x42 10x mil. But I just found out that it uses 1/4 moa adjustments. I prefer 1/4 mil adjustments so now I need to research all over again. I only have a limit of $400. Can you guys suggest some scopes that are mil/mil that may fall within that range. It will be on a Rem 700 30-06. Mostly long range target shooting with Hunting thrown in. Tactical only if I need to.
*edit- I was looking in SFP scopes only with ranging set at 10x.

Re: Mil/Mil scopes suggestions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdom001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer 1/4 mil adjustments so now I need to research all over again.</div></div>

I will save you some searching. No one makes 1/4 Mil turrets. Generally you will fine .1, .2, and sometimes .05.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdom001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only have a limit of $400. Can you guys suggest some scopes that are mil/mil that may fall within that range.</div></div>

$400 for mil/mil/FFP is a very narrow range. The Falcon Menace 4-14x falls in the range, but is not a good option if you plan on hunting in the early/late hours or you are in a close in environment requiring low magnification.

If you can drop a little more cash you can get into the Weaver or Bushnell FFP scopes. Many of them go low enough power and are illuminated to accomplish what you want to do.

Beware of trying to pack too much utility into a scope for too low of a price. They usually end up not doing anything well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New Supersnipers (SWFA) are MIL/MIL and $299. BTW, they are 0.1 MIL adjustment, which is standard. Good luck.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53716.aspx </div></div>

Going to be a bitch to hunt with a 20x.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New Supersnipers (SWFA) are MIL/MIL and $299. BTW, they are 0.1 MIL adjustment, which is standard. Good luck.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53716.aspx </div></div>

Going to be a bitch to hunt with a 20x.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Meant to link the 16x, but the 10x would probably be even better.
wink.gif

I didn't want to go more than a 16x for that reason. Yes I meant .1 adjustment don't know why I wrote 1/4.....duh.
Also I want to stay with Variable power not fixed.
Thanx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdom001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer 1/4 mil adjustments so now I need to research all over again.</div></div>

I will save you some searching. No one makes 1/4 Mil turrets. Generally you will fine .1, .2, and sometimes .05.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdom001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only have a limit of $400. Can you guys suggest some scopes that are mil/mil that may fall within that range.</div></div>

$400 for mil/mil/FFP is a very narrow range. The Falcon Menace 4-14x falls in the range, but is not a good option if you plan on hunting in the early/late hours or you are in a close in environment requiring low magnification.

If you can drop a little more cash you can get into the Weaver or Bushnell FFP scopes. Many of them go low enough power and are illuminated to accomplish what you want to do.

Beware of trying to pack too much utility into a scope for too low of a price. They usually end up not doing anything well. </div></div>

You think 4x power is to strong for hunting?

What are you calling long range?
You are asking for trouble in finding a scope that has all those features for $400.00.

Are you actually going to range with the reticle? Especially at any other power than max? If not just get a SFP optic. You can still range with the reticle if you map it out.
That will save you money and time, it will also get you a more reliable optic.

I guess I should have been more specific, I'm sorry. I was looking at SFP scopes only with the ranging set at 10x.I know that FFP in that price range would not be possible or junk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Para38super</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You think 4x power is to strong for hunting? </div></div>

No. But the reticle of the Falcon 4-14x44 FFP is extremely fine at 4x. Not good for fast moving game in a cluttered background.

Of course the simple answer would be to go with a less expensive FFP and a cheaper dot sight for close range hunting.

Unfortunately we are having some website issues right now. Our site has been up and down over the last couple days. I have everything backed up to a mirror site right now so if you come across anything that is a dead link on this forum, google, etc. replacing 8541tactical<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">.com</span></span> with 8541tactical<span style="font-weight: bold">.net</span> will get you there.

Hopefully this is a temporary condition until I can get some new controls in place.

Being we are from the same state I bet most of your shots at deer or hog will be under 200 yards if not even closer. If $400 is your budget to get "good" glass and matching turret/reticles one guy suggested the Weaver Grand Slam tactical from Midway. It is a 3-10x and it is mil/mil, and SFP. $299 on sale I believe.

That would be my choice, and you can bang steel with it at long range too.

Another mil/mil in your price range is the new Burris MTAC. I haven't seen one yet, but one is on the truck to my house right now, should have it next week. If it's anything like my other Burris scopes, I think I'll be happy with it. 3.5-10x mil/mil, second focal plane, ranges on 10x. I've been running a straight 10x SWFA SS on this rifle, but wanted something with a lower power for hunting along with mil/mil. I'll pick up one of the mil/mil SS's when they come out as well to compare.

http://swfa.com/Burris-35-10x42-MTAC-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P53422.aspx

mtac35x10x42.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdom001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I just ordered the Falcon menace 4-14-44 ffp from SWFA.com. I'll give an update when I get it. I now need to shop for a 20 Moa base. </div></div>

A very good friend of mine has three of them and only one works......For now...... And it looks like looking through a tube full of grit. I hope you have better luck than he has.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A very good friend of mine has three of them and only one works......For now...... And it looks like looking through a tube full of grit. I hope you have better luck than he has. </div></div>
I am surprised to hear that. All the reviews I have read so far including the one by LoneWolfUSMC a member here, were very very positive.

EGW do a good 20MOA base, especially if you're on a budget.

Just remember that a scope is an incredibly precise piece of engineering, designed to distort light in order to present a quality picture close up, the measurements, fit and glass all need to be incredibly precise.

Point is proven when you can outshoot a guy with your stock Tikka T3 with Bushnell Elite scope, even though he's flogging a brand new TRG-42 with all the specs... why? Because his POS $300 Centre Point couldn't hold a centre if it tried.

Don't get me wrong, Falcon may be a good brand (they aren't availble here down under so i'll hold comment), but dollar for dollar, the good optics cost money, because they cost money to produce to that quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EGW do a good 20MOA base, especially if you're on a budget.</div></div>
I'l check them out. Thank you

I think you'll be happy with the falcon menace. Just put one on my .308 sps tac and am very impressed with it. Was a little sceptical about ordering it in the first place but, I'm glad I did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdom001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking about going with this Weaver 20 moa scope base. Does anyone know of any problems.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/30924946-1.html </div></div>

I have an egw base on my 700, and a weaver base on my model 70. I haven't had any problems with either. The weaver is a nicer finished product, but that doesn't have anything do do with function.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdom001</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A very good friend of mine has three of them and only one works......For now...... And it looks like looking through a tube full of grit. I hope you have better luck than he has. </div></div>
I am surprised to hear that. All the reviews I have read so far including the one by LoneWolfUSMC a member here, were very very positive.

</div></div>

I have never seen one have any problems. Im sure they are out there as are any scope. All my experiance with them have been positive.