• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing MIL Range This Buck.......

psinclair

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Glasgow, Montana
gunstuff013.jpg

What's your best S.W.A.G.?

Scope is a 4-16X50 PMII, GenII reticle.

812 meters, >This shot wouldn't have even got his attention<

Last edited:
850yds?

-John

EDIT: I'm guessing 1.5MIL from the ground to the shoulder, shoulder height of ~46", slide rule says 850yds.

But then again, I'm a noob city boy.

Last edited:
A smart ass question would be whether the scope is 1st Focal or 2nd Focal and if 2nd, what magnification are you at? I don't know enough about the different Bender models. Maybe all of the 4-16 PMII are FFP?

555 yards if he is a yungin, 595 if he is mature. Dialin' 4.0 mil on my 308 and a 178 Amax and its dinner time. or just a miss...lol

Last edited:
Hard to tell

assuming the crosshair is at his belly

he is about 15 inches from back to belly

.5 mil measurement

So 833 yards

Range is approximately 750m.

THE MATH :

Typical shoulder height is from 21in - 47in (according to Wikipedia). I chose 35in for a healthy buck average.

With 24 additional inches from the shoulder to the top, that's 60in in total average height.

Height in mils : 2.

60in/12in per foot = 5tf.

5ft in meters is about 1.5.

1.5x1000/2=750

PS : With the wide range of guesses, I suspect that either some people can't read mils, or the age of the buck is in question and thus causing the confusion.

Last edited:
I'm with justinbaker, I'm splitting between 14-16" horns @ .5mil for the 833yard call.......and I'm waiting for the drum roll

833 yards, this assumes shoulder width of 18 inches and .6 mil wide and ballistic AE range finder Spit out 833

617 yards. Final Answer...

Guessing head is 10" and at approx. .45mil.

Last edited:
Well then I apparently need more practice ranging. More of these threads are welcome. I was figuring on an 18" chest cavity but, I have never hunted or ranged speed goats.

Antelope are 14-15 inches from the top of their back to the bottom of the stomach. I figured this was a big one so I went with 15. Hard to see the bottom of he body for me do to the angle so I blew it, I came up with 586.

Laser range finders suck on the prairie. You'd be lucking to get then to range half their max range.

Hard to use the full animal to the feet, they're normally always standing in grass or brush, at least where I hunt. Their color blends in with the grass making MIL'ing difficult, especially if you have heavy mirage.

That's why goats are so much fun to hunt. I've been out in my hunting area ranging them for practice, then checking my readings with a GPS marking my spot to theirs. Fun.

Roggom/Pat....so what clues did we miss, what should we have taken into account to range him more accurately?

Look closely, you can see the brisket is at approx .7 mil. He bracketed the the shoulder at .5 up and the brisket was between zero and .5 down.

As stated speed goats are 14-15" shoulder to brisket. 14 x 27.77 / .7(mil) = 555Y 15 x 27.77 / .7 = 595Y

OP that was fun and a cool pic. I find it a pain to line a camera up with the scope.

I had 500 yards, using 18" of chest depth, and 1 mil. Speed goats are fun, and all the eyes watching make for a fun stalk.

BY the way, that is still a time tested and great reticle, all you need, nothing extra, nothing lacking.

Look closely, you can see the brisket is at approx .7 mil. He bracketed the the shoulder at .5 up and the brisket was between zero and .5 down.

As stated speed goats are 14-15" shoulder to brisket. 14 x 27.77 / .7(mil) = 555Y 15 x 27.77 / .7 = 595Y

OP that was fun and a cool pic. I find it a pain to line a camera up with the scope.

Thanks....great thread...

Pat...now put up a pic on how to field judge his horns at that distance.

Last edited:
OP did an excellent job on the picture. I took one of a couple does last year and it turned out nothing like that.

Are the 27.77 and .7 a constant? If I am correct in assuming this then let's say it was a whitetail the 17-18" shoulder to brisket then it would look something like 17x27.77/.7 = 674yrds. 18x27.77/.7 = 714yrds.

^^^ yes the 27.77 is a constant, the 0.7 is the measured size in mils from the reticle. Target size (in inches) x 27.77 / reticle reading (in mils) = distance in yards.

I looked at the image, skipped to the bottom and wrote this. Honest answer;

880 yds

I'll now post and look back to see if I missed the chance to cheat.

^^^ yes the 27.77 is a constant, the 0.7 is the measured size in mils from the reticle. Target size (in inches) x 27.77 / reticle reading (in mils) = distance in yards.

Gotcha! I need another test pic so I can apply the knowledge.

I find skull size (width) differs little in same breed animals... i.e. human, elk, mule all have relative-to-breed size heads. Granted a straight on look at these animals can be less frequent it may be a helpful tip to some.