• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing "Mil-Spec" Armorer Tools

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    Just finished up a couple projects making some of the tools found in the back of a couple TM's.

From the M16/M4 Technical Manual I made a front sight adjustment tool, pivot pin installation tool, and pivot pin removal tool.

20231014_171907.jpg

I made mine to the roughly 4" overall length as the TM, not sure why it needed to be that length but it differs some in that it has a rounded flat edge so that it can also be used to zero my Aimpoint or Sig Romeo5. I drilled a through hole for a piece of shock cord is so slip it down a MOLLE loop and pull it over itself to keep it in place.

Below are the TM's drawings for the pivot pin remover and install tool with my versions below. I didn't harden the pivot pin install tool, I really didn't see the point being honest since it's just a guide.

1697318901527.png
    1697318949693.png
    20231014_172022.jpg

In the back of the TM for the Mk12 Mod 1 they showed another version of a pivot pin install tool that was fabricated from a screwdriver, so I made one of those as well.

1697319230689.png

This version of the tool works but it wouldn't be my preference, the risk of launching a detent is higher I think after trying both out. The L-shaped version is pretty fool proof and the pivot pin remover worked really well.

With the exception of the 1/16th wrench all the materials came from Lowe's, about $14 for the two pieces of steel rod and the cheapest screwdriver they had. Tool wise I used a hacksaw, needle files, a flat bastard file, a cordless drill, drill press, and a box of Dewalt bits. I have enough material left over to make several more front sight tools and pivot pin tools, which I may do but this was more to see what would come of it rather than out of need.

You made them very well indeed. Your front sight tool is impressive work.
    I think I too will make the removal tool, as it looks to be a better "mouse trap"

Ohh man I need that small takedown pin removal tool! I just sent a detent into the ceiling the other night with no hopes of ever finding it again lol.

The teeth on that front sight tool is more crooked than a coal miners teeth lol. I'm thinking about filing them down and doing a mulligan.

I also made a set of slave pins for the trigger and hammer from a set of milspec pins. Cut them down to 5/8" and bevel the ends and they work great.

I wanted to add some pics of the pivot pin removal tool in use.

20231108_194637.jpg

20231108_194656.jpg

Front pivot pin can then be slid out.

Here are the slave pins next to a standard trigger pin.
    20231108_194715.jpg

After I cut the pins down I chucked them up in the cordless lathe and used a file to get it to the final length and bevel the edges. A dab of Oxpho-Blue had them looking pretty again.

TM drawing...
    1699491432932.png

Reactions: Bcamos