• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mil-xt or tremor 3?

E-Tool

5120-00-878-5932
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ken-tuc-ky
    I’ve debated between vortex and nightforce for a while and I’ve decided in the nightforce atacr 7-35.

I sold off all my moa scopes, I’m joining the rest of the world with mils. I’m shooting an MRAD with 338LM, 300WM, and .308 barrels. I plan to primarily shoot 308 at 200-800 yards (I haven’t converted to meters yet).

I want to be able to stretch it’s legs out to 1000+ with the 338LM. I’ve made some 900 yards shots soI’m a newbie to anything further just didn’t have the distance available.

I will mostly use it for white tail hunting, but have been known to shoot coyotes, and groundhogs also. I have several IPSC targets I can shoot at also. I’ve never shot in rifle competition but would want to be able to if one falls in my lap.

So hunting is primary, which reticle would be best? I’m familiar with turrets and mildot, my last scope had an NP-R2 reticle which I liked for hunting.

Between the Tremor33 and mil-xt what will suit my needs best? I plan to order within a month.

A Reticle is honestly a personal preference. whatever you like is what matters. For a hunting scope it would be very hard to see through all that junk in a tremor 3 for me personally. The mil-xt is a more traditional spaced out tree reticle.

I have both in 7-35 and I like both. I like how clean the mil-xt is to spot your shots. I like the tremor 3 for wind holds. I am still trying to figure out which one I like better. They both have their pro's and cons. For a hunting reticle the mil-xt would be less cluttered. The illumination on the mil-xt would be a lot better since it is essentially a mil-c that illuminates. The tremor 3 Illumination is just dots. As you can see in the pictures.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200320-202011_Chrome.jpg
      SmartSelect_20200320-202011_Chrome.jpg
      219.8 KB · Views: 646
    • SmartSelect_20200320-201908_Google.jpg
      SmartSelect_20200320-201908_Google.jpg
      293.4 KB · Views: 504
    I have 7-35's in both the Mil XT and Tremor 3. I was able to spot shots in the grass at 600 yards with the Tremor 3. It's not as cluttered or difficult to spot shots as some make it seem. Having said that I like the Mil XT more. The wind dots are not needed once you know the wind value of the cartridge you're using. I initially went Tremor3 because NF had very limited reticle options at the time.

Reactions: Squat
    Just recently got a 7-35 in Mil-XT and really like it. I have not tried a T3 yet, but just ordered a Tangent Theta in T3, can't wait to try T3.

Reactions: Alpha Incog
    I have both and prefer the Tremor 3. It really is personal preference

As guys have said - personal preference...

That said - I had the same decision to make a while back...
    Had a long hard look at the T3, but eventually went with the MIL-XT.

Very glad I did!

I forgot to add.. I had a H59, and I really liked that reticle as well. Just to throw a monkey wrench into the thread

Reactions: E-Tool
    Mil-XT is where it’s at.
    Does everything the T3 does (obviously), but in a cleaner package. Even when money isn’t a factor (#StupidHorusTax), the Mil-XT wins in my book and I can’t see myself going back to Horus.

Reactions: PAYDIRT
    Mil-XT is where it’s at.
    Does everything the T3 does (obviously), but in a cleaner package. Even when money isn’t a factor (#StupidHorusTax), the Mil-XT wins in my book and I can’t see myself going back to Horus.
    Some of the older Horus reticles are pretty good.
    Im running an old Falcon with a H-25 in it on my 260 and really digging it.
    T3? Hell no! Why pay extra for clutter and crap I won’t use?

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    I love the Mil-xt and find it to be the perfect reticle. It has everything i want and nothing more. It's definitely a personal choice though.

Reactions: flyright
    Reactions: E-Tool
    I’ve been trying to decide between these two also.

Are the mover holds the only thing the T3 has that the Mil-XT doesn’t, or is there something else?

Personally I have a Tremor 3. See if you can get behind a rifle with a Mil-XT and a Tremor 3 on the same day. Learn what you can about each reticle and make an informed decision from there. I personally chose the Tremor 3 for all the extra features it has. With the different comps I shoot being PRS and Precision Service Rifle it worked for me. I also manage to hunt with it when given the chance. Spoilt for choices these days.

I think both are great in there own right, but personally I much prefer using the MIL-XT. Plenty of intelligence without being overly cluttered. That's basically the gist of it for me.

Similar experience as many above. I started with the T3 and ended up with the Mil-xt. My use is mostly 1k-2k shooting and the Tremor 3 was just too busy at magnification above 25x for me.

I have 7-35's in both the Mil XT and Tremor 3. I was able to spot shots in the grass at 600 yards with the Tremor 3. It's not as cluttered or difficult to spot shots as some make it seem. Having said that I like the Mil XT more. The wind dots are not needed once you know the wind value of the cartridge you're using. I initially went Tremor3 because NF had very limited reticle options at the time.
    I like the Trm3 more. But I can understand your side. There is no way these are "cluttered" if you are using the correct magnification. I think the more you shoot the more you like the Trmr3. Those wind dots are money the second you figure out the value for your rifle. Gone are the "lets hold left edge and hope and adjust"

Jumping into this post. I too and looking at the 2 and debating on staying with 5x25 or moving up to 7x35

I like the tremor because you can learn it and then find it across scope brands, I have nf, vortex, and luepold scopes and they all have the same reticle. Each scope serves a different purpose on a different rifle. It’s a nice feature that maybe most people don’t think about about. You can have your 7-35 atacr on your mag rifle, and if you’re like me a 3.6-18 mk5 on your 16.5 shorty 6.5x47. It brings familiarity. But I guess you could just stick with nf across all your rifles too, lol.

Do the wind dots work the same if you dial instead of holding or do the values change? It seems that I read somewhere that dialing was not recommended, but don't see anything that states what changes when dialing. Thanks

Do you hold or dial? If you hold 100% then tremor 3, if you only do part of the time or dial mil xt
    Do the wind dots work the same if you dial instead of holding or do the values change? It seems that I read somewhere that dialing was not recommended, but don't see anything that states what changes when dialing. Thanks
    Yes the wind dots lose their value when you dial. I emailed Horus about exactly this when I almost bought a scope with a T3.

Edit found the email

1586829353602.png

Nightforce hit it out of the park for me with the MIL-XT and love it. Being able to dial in close as you can with the 7-35 is awesome but I am not in a hurry to trade off my MILR’S when it comes to hunting. If I had to choose between the two.....MIL-XT. I was just about to buy a T3 when the MIL-XT came out and liked that it wasn't as busy as others have said.

Reactions: airborne_trooper
    Do you hold or dial? If you hold 100% then tremor 3, if you only do part of the time or dial mil xt

Yes the wind dots lose their value when you dial. I emailed Horus about exactly this when I almost bought a scope with a T3.

Edit found the email

View attachment 7298019
    And what’s the math if you dial for the full shot 1/4? Is this the same no matter how much is dialed as well. 500 to 1000 is a bit different. Thx

Nightforce hit it out of the park for me with the MIL-XT and love it. Being able to dial in close as you can with the 7-35 is awesome but I am not in a hurry to trade off my MILR’S when it comes to hunting. If I had to choose between the two.....MIL-XT. I was just about to buy a T3 when the MIL-XT came out and liked that it wasn't as busy as others have said.
    I used to really like the H59 until the MILXT was introduced. It checks the blocks of everything I want in a reticle.

And what’s the math if you dial for the full shot 1/4? Is this the same no matter how much is dialed as well. 500 to 1000 is a bit different. Thx
    I do not know. After I saw that email I crossed the T3 off the list.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
    I was originally under the impression that dialing 5 mils you half the wind dot value (from 4mph to 2mph) and dialing 10 mils you quarter the wind dot value (from 4mph to 1mph). For example, if I needed to hold 7 mils I could dial 5 mils and hold 2 mils, but my wind dot values would be halved.

However, from the email it sounds like it is shot-specific - where dialing half the shot halves the wind value.

Can anyone clarify?