• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Mildot Ret. conv. to MOA turrrets Please help me!

icehouse

Private
Minuteman
OK guys -

I am finally going to humble myself and ask the time old question. "How do I use my mildot 1st focal plane reticle with 1/4 MOA turrets? Please start from the beginning and be as detailed as possible. Also, know that I am using a Govt. issue Springfield Armory 6-20x56 mm scope. As mentioned above it has 1/4 MOA turrets and mildot 1st focal plane. Please explain and give as many links to articles and videos as possible. All I have is time, and man do I want to learn! Please help educate me so I can quite using my own improvised method which is working, but I am thinking I will be more effective if I know how to use my optics in the more correct/proven way.

Re: Mildot Ret. conv. to MOA turrrets Please help me!

Just remember your equations and work in minutes. Mil-dot is good for holds, but I prefer minutes for dialing in. I have a good hard copy of mil-moa conversions if you are interested.
1 MIL=3.483 MOA (3.5 field)
1 MOA=.29 MILs (.3 field)
Double check that, but I think it's right. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M241047</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just remember your equations and work in minutes. Mil-dot is good for holds, but I prefer minutes for dialing in. I have a good hard copy of mil-moa conversions if you are interested.
Double check that, but I think it's right. Good luck. </div></div>
No it's 3.438 for the Marines.
The true artillery mil is 3.375 as used by Us Army.
The Marine corp use 3.438

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ICEHOUSE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "How do I use my mildot 1st focal plane reticle with 1/4 MOA turrets? Please start from the beginning and be as detailed as possible. Also, know that I am using a Govt. issue Springfield Armory 6-20x56 mm scope. As mentioned above it has 1/4 MOA turrets and mildot 1st focal plane. </div></div>

First off, it is good that your scope is FFP because when you determine how far in mils (using the hashes or dots on your reticle) your shot hits from where it was supposed to hit, it doesn't matter what range or magnification setting you're on.

In terms of making corrections between shots....here's an example of how you would do it with your FFP, mil-MOA scope.

If you determine using your Mildot reticle that your hit is .9 mils high and .5 mils left. You must multiply .9 mils by 3.438 (to get to MOA) and then multiple that number by 4 (1/4 MOA adj.) to get the number of clicks to adjust down. Next you have to multiply .5 by 3.438 and then multiply that number by 4 to get the number of clicks to adjust right....and then you send your next shot and should be right on...if it's not too late after doing all that math!

Not to confuse...
but on a little side note...you may someday consider upgrading to a scope with mil adjusting turrets. It is much easier if the adjustments on your turrets match your reticle. For example, on a FFP mil-mil scope if you had seen your shot was .9 mils high and .5 mils left, you would simply adjust your turrets 9 clicks down and 5 clicks right....no math involved!

This is the way to go !!!!!

I tries the conversion ?? did not work for me !!!!!

but on a little side note...you may someday consider upgrading to a scope with mil adjusting turrets. It is much easier if the adjustments on your turrets match your reticle. For example, on a FFP mil-mil scope if you had seen your shot was .9 mils high and .5 mils left, you would simply adjust your turrets 9 clicks down and 5 clicks right....no math involved

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M241047</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just remember your equations and work in minutes. Mil-dot is good for holds, but I prefer minutes for dialing in. I have a good hard copy of mil-moa conversions if you are interested.
Double check that, but I think it's right. Good luck. </div></div>
No it's 3.438 for the Marines.
The true artillery mil is 3.375 as used by Us Army.
The Marine corp use 3.438 </div></div>

Just to clarify, M241047 had it right...Army snipers are taught that 1 mil = 3.483 MOA and just round it to 3.5 in the field. He should know because he just graduated school.

The Army snipers <span style="font-weight: bold">should</span> be taught that 1 mil = 3.438 MOA, because it is. And the ones we have here at the moment were taught that.

I think the 3.483 number is a transposition error. Using 3.5 in the field is a reasonable approximation.

A better system is to have a mil-based reticle with mil adjustments, and then you can just forget that number because you won't ever need it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ICEHOUSE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys -

I am finally going to humble myself and ask the time old question. "How do I use my mildot 1st focal plane reticle with 1/4 MOA turrets? Please start from the beginning and be as detailed as possible. Also, know that I am using a Govt. issue Springfield Armory 6-20x56 mm scope. As mentioned above it has 1/4 MOA turrets and mildot 1st focal plane. Please explain and give as many links to articles and videos as possible. All I have is time, and man do I want to learn! Please help educate me so I can quite using my own improvised method which is working, but I am thinking I will be more effective if I know how to use my optics in the more correct/proven way. </div></div>

I use a mil reticle spotter with MOA adjust scopes. With a 1/4 MOA adusting scoope there is <span style="font-weight: bold">roughly 14 1/4 MOA clicks per milradian</span> and 7 1/4 MOA clicks per 1/2 mil. This is close enough to get on target.

i.e. 1 Mil = 3.438 MOA
Round up to 3.5 MOA and divide by MOA adjustments
1/4 MOA adjustments=14 clicks per mil
1/2 MOA adustments= 7 clicks per mil

This works fine for shooting steel, give it a try. If you want to be the ultimate internet sniper, and shoot the balls of a flea at 1000 yards, you may not be happy!
laugh.gif

Lucks has it right. Dump that scope and get a FFP mil/mil. Just too easy, nothing to learn.

Re: Mildot Ret. conv. to MOA turrrets Please help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A better system is to have a mil-based reticle with mil adjustments, and then you can just forget that number because you won't ever need it again.
</div></div>

Amen, Lindy!