• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mile or 2,000 yards Matches

ida83704

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2010
Ada County, Idaho
Anyone know of any Rifle Matches or competitions that get out to a Mile?

Anyone heard of any really long range matchs that gets out to 2,000 or 2,500 or even 3,000 yards?

Re: Mile or 2,000 yards Matches

On Position 1 of the Long/Intimidator Course at Thunder Valley Precision, there is a bonus target (12" steel square) @ 1 mile. That's the longest target in a comp that I've seen, and I believe you can get out to 2200 there. Maybe Tom will do an ELR comp if there's enough interest.

My google fu is weak but I found something near the Tri-Cities, Washington that had mile possibilities.(Rattle Snake Mountain?)

Agustus in Wyoming has a Mile target, so does Captain Moroni for the South Central Idaho Shooters Match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On Position 1 of the Long/Intimidator Course at Thunder Valley Precision, there is a bonus target (12" steel square) @ 1 mile. That's the longest target in a comp that I've seen, and I believe you can get out to 2200. Maybe Tom will do an ELR comp if there's enough interest. </div></div>

A 12 inch square target at a Mile? is that right?
A 12 inch square at 1,000 is decent shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ida83704</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A 12 inch square target at a Mile? is that right?
</div></div>
Roger.

Yes.

3 shots to hit in a match.

The mile target gets hit fairly regular by guys messing around after the matches.

They had one the 11th of May at Parma Id. They zeroed at 800 and shot to 1760. I heard that they are going to try to get to 3000 this summer.
It must be for the 408s, 416s and 50s.

I was at the Parma shoot.
They got out to 2,000 yards.
The Parma shoot is what prompted the question here on SH.

The 3,000 yard match is still sorting out details.
Check the Parma Calendar over the next few weeks
I think a .338 Edge guy is going to give 3,000 a go

I think you may be talking about the other Augustus on this forum & not me, but I thought I would throw this out there... We also have targets that extend beyond the 1 mile realm - we shoot at them regularly, as a steady diet here. Shooting at these distances is our primary objective & goal - not something for bonus points, this is what we do.

The ITRC,when it was held in Wyoming, used to have the "one mile club" event. I dont know if this will continue now that the event has been moved to Gunsite in Arizona for 2012. I observed (after the fact) the one mile target had been removed last year, so I successfully engaged the only target that was located in proximity to the score target there last year - with two consecutive, 3rd & 4th round hits without the aid of my spotter. Initially, Dave reported to me the target to be at a distance of 2200 yards. The year before, my partner & I effectively engaged the score target, (11" wide, by 16" tall) with a single round fired on that target with my 50. Dave announced at the shooters meeting that we were the only team to effectively do so in the history of the ITRC for score, or entrance into the one mile club.

My advice to anyone interested in shooting ELR, forget it, because it appears to be a useless skill set, go into CQB - Its not only a cheaper venture,but the dynamics are potentially more exciting as you get to observe the results up close and personal - besides, this skill set tends to be more high speed low drag!

If you are stead fast in your desire to get involved in the world of ELR, be sure to seek someone for instruction that understands the variables, and/or the dynamics of what it actually takes to consistently put bullets on targets at those distances - with a LOW, or realistic round count to initially & effectively engage a target. I routinely see a lot of people talking, but very seldom observe, or see them shooing at these actual engagement distances.

Depending on your AO, the 50 most likely wont reach to 3000 yards, unless you are running turned bullets. At $120.00 per 20 projo's, this seems somewhat cost prohibitive to reach an additional 500 yards over the 750 A Max.

At my AO, 3300' ASL - with 65F - standard air pressure, the A Max starts into transonic phase @ about 2650 yards. IMO the 50 BMG is the not the end all be all of the ELR realm, unless your application of fire requires the devastating ballistic effect of the 50 BMG payload - and/or the employment of the exotic ammo utilized by these heavy caliber rifles.

FWIW, I have been very impressed with the capability of the .375 CT for ELR engagements. Last year I spotted & observed an engagement with the 375 CT at 2950 yards - first, second and third round contact consecutively. For those that doubt this claim, or say "it cant be done", this was witnessed by at leased 14 other individuals, some of which are, or were members of this forum - lets leave it at that if we can... For those interested in ELR shooting, take a look at the 375 for the edge and economy of this chambering!

Aug ><>