• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Military backpack?

fw707

Minuteman
Nov 12, 2010
KY
What are the backpacks I see our military men and women carrying through the airport?
Do any of the Hide sponsors have them in an OD green version?

Thanks!

Re: Military backpack?

10 bucks says if you went up to one of them , stuck out your hand , said " Thank You for Your Service " and offered to carry their kit to the taxi , they would tell you .

i know for a fact that SF uses a backpack called "bugout" made by a company called piper gear. you can look then up on the internet. I have one and they are great if you are looking for a solid backpack. they have an aluminum frame too which makes it more sturdy and makes it comfortable to carry heavy loads on your back. Really comfortable to wear and has pocket and useful things all over it. i would reccomend it 100%

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the backpacks I see our military men and women carrying through the airport?

Thanks!

</div></div> Don't know about other services but the Air Force get all different kinds, really matters who your purchaser is for deployments.

Eberlestock, Blackhawk, Camelback, Kifaru outside of the issue stuff.

I have two camelback bags which I have used for two deployments and have had for about 4 or 5 years.

Thanks everybody.
They looked like the Piper Gear Bugout or the Camelback BFM.

It really depends on the soldier & which branch of service. Much of the time those packs aren't issued but are purchased by the soldier in question. At one time the Marine Corps issued the ILBE Main Pack & Assault Pack but I understand that they are no longer issued the ILBE gear (this could be wrong, any active duty Marines know?). You can find both the Main Pack & Assault Pack as surplus in various levels of condition on egay, etc.

The "Bug Out Bag" mentioned above is made by Sandpiper of California (SOC) and can be found at places like deltaoutdoorsman.com (shameless plug, sorry), etc., and at military base supply stores.

Based on my conversations with current & former servicemen, the following packs are seeing the sands of the sandbox or Afghanistan:

--CamelBak;
--Eberlestock;
--Kifaru;
--Mystery Ranch;
--Blackhawk;
--TAG Gear;
--Propper Intl.;
--Granite Tactical Gear;

I'm certain that I've (unintentionally) left a few brands off this list that are being used by our men overseas. Many times the pack that goes with the soldier may just be what he liked & what is available at the time he needed one.

The Marines were using the Propper ILBE, which is great gear except for one little problem - it is not very compatible with body armor. If you don't wear armor, it is a grat pack. I know Mystery Ranch was working on a solution to refit the packs for a body armor configuration.

The ILBE was based off the Arcteryx LEAF series, and reminded me of a stouter Bora design. I think they were rated for 150 pounds of gear.

Does anybody know where I can get the Propper/Arcteryx Corpsman Assault pack in colors other than MARPAT?

I don't have anything against MARPAT, its just want to avoid being "that guy" if possible.

Try grey group training they carry. The entire arcteryx leaf line if they don't have it I'm pretty sure they can get it.

I have a camelbak bfm. It is pretty well made, but super heavy and frameless. It uses a polymer sheet to stiffen it up. I'm kind of mixed on it, not really comfy on long hauls imo....but opinions vary..lol.

Right now I'm torn between Camelbak's BFM and Motherlode. I'm pretty sure there are no retailers near me that carry Camelbak Tactical line. The biggest downside to internet purchases is not being able to handle the items in person to compare.

Anyone here have experience with both? Pros & cons? Thanks

I was always issued camelback stuff and I think it is top notch stuff. I still use one of the packs that was issued to me back in 2003. I never had one rip,tear, or a zipper break on me. They also don't make a whole lot of noise when moving.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now I'm torn between Camelbak's BFM and Motherlode. I'm pretty sure there are no retailers near me that carry Camelbak Tactical line. The biggest downside to internet purchases is not being able to handle the items in person to compare.

Anyone here have experience with both? Pros & cons? Thanks </div></div>

Both are great packs. What exactly are your intended applications? I can help you narrow it down based on your needs/uses.

Thanks

+1 for mystery ranch, had one through my last deployment and it worked beautifully. Very dependable, comfortable, and well thought out pouches.

I deployed 3 times in my military career, all 3 times with a Blackhawk, think they have since discontinued it but I'll look and see which one it is when I get a chance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptainHammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Does anybody know where I can get the Propper/Arcteryx Corpsman Assault pack in colors other than MARPAT?

I don't have anything against MARPAT, its just want to avoid being "that guy" if possible. </div></div>

Look on Ebay for the Propper / Arcteryx packs.

Also don't forget about London Bridge Trading for packs. Like many others mentioned they are not cheap but a super product. It all depend on how much space you need.

Todd

I love my Kifaru Gen 2 X-Ray. It's the perfect small day backpack. I take it to the range every time I go and it's been on plenty of trips, still looks brand new.

I have the Motherlode and love it. It has been with me on 6 deployments and about to make it 7. I have used the molle to add some extra pouches on mine. You really cant go wrong with the camelbak.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For three day pack, I have: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE126-1.html
I know people will bust on it, but if your just using it to hike it works fine.

Jamie </div></div>

That's the design of the one I'm looking for, but from the reviews this one looks like an import with cheap zippers and crappy stitching.
Is there a better quality US-made one exactly like it anywhere?

Spec OPs "THE" Pack
Condor Packs
Camelbak Packs

All these packs are realtively affordable and of good quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For three day pack, I have: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE126-1.html
I know people will bust on it, but if your just using it to hike it works fine.

Jamie </div></div>

That's the design of the one I'm looking for, but from the reviews this one looks like an import with cheap zippers and crappy stitching.
Is there a better quality US-made one exactly like it anywhere? </div></div>

It seems hit and miss with this 3 day pack. The one I have made it to Thailand and back, stuff with enough clothes for 2 weeks and my laptop.

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is there a better quality US-made one exactly like it anywhere? </div></div>

Have your considered Tactical Tailor? Most of their stuff is Made in the USA (Washington state, to be exact) and Berry Compliant. You're going to pay a little more for USA made but the quality is outstanding!

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I can help you out...

+1 for Kifaru. Absolute best. Had mine for over 400 dismounted patrols in Afghanistan and couldn't ask for a better product. Blew the Mystery Ranch out of the water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10 bucks says if you went up to one of them , stuck out your hand , said " Thank You for Your Service " and offered to carry their kit to the taxi , they would tell you . </div></div>

Good Answer.

BMT

Camelback motherload +1...have had it for a while survived my trip to the sandbox. I also have the spec-ops THE PACK...but i find it too small, mainly use it as a range back now.

Try <span style="font-weight: bold">TAD</span> Gear (Triple Aught Design) out of 'Frisco, Cal.
http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Equipment/Bags-And-Packs
They make the stuff intended for <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">extreme</span></span> use. GREAT customer support! I have never been disappointed in anything I purchased from TAD (Clothing, gear, packs). Their bags and packs are bulletproof. You get what you pay for, which is good because they are not cheap. <span style="font-weight: bold">MADE in USA!</span>
EBERLESTOCK is also outstanding, but a little on the heavy side.

I carried a Camelbak Motherlode (purchased w/my own money) on my last deployment ... it was great for "everyday use" but I wasn't under field conditions (or using a rifle for that matter) w/this bag. BL - it's great for light/daily use for basic gear/snacks/water/etc.

I also own the BFM ... quite a bit larger and I've shot (competitively -- precision tactical rifle matches) out of this bag ... very user friendly for optics/ammo/gear/etc.

I've found the best option is to have multiple options w/packs ... then you can pluck one from the shelf -- depending on what you need to carry -- and run with it. If you had to pick from the two above, I'd say go with the BFM ... better to have the extra space and not need it (you can always collapse the pack w/the provided straps).

The bag I've shot the most out of is the Eberlestock G4 Operator ... it's a GREAT bag but a bit on the large side (again - it all depends on what you plan to haul into the field). If you're looking for a true 3-day pack to accommodate all of your gear/ammo/optics/etc this is the bag for you. That Eberlestock is my favorite/go-to pack by far.

I hope this info helps ... BL -- multiple options are great ... but if I had to pick one bag from the above I'd go w/the Eberlestock. Better to have more room and not need it than not have the extra room required for a particular application :)

I have absolutely, inadvertently tried to destroy my TAG pack. I used to run an Eagle assault pack without molle so I tried a pack with molle paneling and got a smoking price on the TAG. Since then, it's been used on stalks, dragged across rock, brush, snagged on barbed wire fences and trees/thorn bushes, as well as constantly has 25+ pounds (I've done up to 75ish) in it and has been completely submerged in water or saturated by rain more than a few times.

I have yet to have anything fail on it. My only advice is to make sure you get the pack stays with the pack as they do not come with it; it makes a noticeable difference.

Been very happy with my kifaru marauder g1. For small trips to the range it is great as it is pretty might by itself and with the extra molle I can hang alot of extra storage or shit on the outside of it if ive got alot to pack. It typically wears a USGI sustainment pouch on the face for a quick access pocket (ear pro, ammo, etc) but a bigger pocket like the kifaru E&E may get added for long outings.

I bought a green spec ops backpack as a brand new private when I first got to my unit in 2003. I used that bag for everything from storing sensitive items and rations, to extra clothes and liquor when we would sleep off post in Germany. After numerous training exercises, and a 14 month deployment it was still flawless. Until last week I broke a plastic buckle at the range. I used that bag for 8 years, until my dumbass slammed the car door on a buckle. They definetly earned my business.

Blackhawk 3 day Assault Pack..........cant go wrong

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the backpacks I see our military men and women carrying through the airport?

Thanks!

</div></div>

Hey, I got the issued one right here, I checked it up and down for a name brand but it doesn't have a tag or anything, but I will tell you that its a big piece of crap haha...the quality is horrible and I wouldn't recommend getting one, although you could probably just run over to your local Army surplus store and pick one up cheap. Also, as others have mentioned most guys just buy their own pack as it is most definitely mission essential to have a good one due to the issue one being crap. I picked up a SpecOps brand T.H.E. pack in coyote brown back in 07. Its on its second deployment, and is holding up great, its tough as hell, and cheaper than a lot of other packs you can buy. Hope you find this helpful!

a good 3 day pack,Maxpedition CondorII,with camelback,for hunting/hiking it carries what i need and has held up well,found it on Craigslist from a guy that got it on Ebay,it was half price by then.

Thanks again everybody!
The Maxpedition CondorII looks like it'll work just fine, but I'm looking at the Eagle A-III Molle Style that's on sale at Natchez right now. Anybody got one of those from the sale yet?
The price looks good, but I sold a couple of other packs to buy a new one and I don't mind spending more to get a good one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want big and heavy try this one:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sofrukitfstp.html

Blackhawk SOF ruck. It carries everything and more. It ain't no three day pack though.
</div></div>

We carried these things as a LRS unit, where you take just about everything but the kitchen sink, it seems. They kick ass...

It's bigger than the large alice ruck.

IMG_0005-2-1.jpg

Jamie

The basic issue bags are normally pretty bad. SOCOM uses the Granite Tactical Gear CHIEF Patrol for its standard patrol pack (big boy) and Mystery Ranch for its standard assault pack (3 day or less).

Ive always used the Camelbaks. Can stow a shitload and hang and stuff all sorts of crap all over them AND shoot off of them cause they have a built in "groove".

Arc'teryx tacticl packs and mystery ranch tactical packs. Expensive but the best IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is this the one?

DoraBoots_backpack_2.jpg
</div></div>

I wish I'd seen that one sooner.
I already bought a Maxpedition.

Just my rotten luck.