• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

military credential verification

_RJ_

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
OR, AK
Whats the best way to checking into someones military schooling? This questions involves the Navy. Don't want to get into it but will give more detailed info in PM's. Thanks for your time.

-RJ-

The DD214 you have one when your in and when you leave. That will tell you everything about that persons career. If its not on there they didn't do it.

DD214 should work. If you question it ask for a reference. Or call The Records Support Division, (866) 827-5672. I'm sure they could verify at least.

DD 214 could work if you have access to it, although they're not always accurate. Depends what type of training you're talking about as well. Not all training is reflected on DD 214s.

Well this guy isn't just gonna hand over his DD214. He's been there done that wears all these patches and hats and shirts and stickers.... If he did what he says he did, great. I've just never seen someone talk so much about what they've done before. Shit I never talk about my time in.

are you trying to verify for employment or just a guy that shoots his mouth off? If its for employment then you should have enough information to verify his credentials through records as stated above. If its just a guy that talks too much do a little research ask a lot of questions and try to catch him in a lie.

My experience shows that the big talkers are the WANT TO BE'S!

The ones that have done the shit keep it to themselves

Guys who talk don't know what real service is. I've met a lot of guys who talk fantasy and believe it was reality. If he's done it, he will provide the proof, if not, it's obvious he lives in a different mind state.

Also, it's not just his unbelievable "war" stories but it's his insane personnel life stories that make really doubt anything he says. I.E. getting recruited by the police to help do something then getting charged and convicted with a felony after the "job" was done.

The DD214 you have one when your in and when you leave. That will tell you everything about that persons career. If its not on there they didn't do it.

Not necessarily, the accuracy of the DD214 is dependent on the clerk who typed it up. Like any other job there are good clerks and bad clerks. My 214 don't have hardly anything, however I have copies of my dash-1 (201 File). It does list the schools and assignments. My form 22/23 (NGB Form) is more accurate but even it is incomplete. Also I have the certificates that back up the 201 file.

My wife spent 20 years in, between the navy, National Guard and Army reserve. She has 4 DD214s. They make her look like 4 different girls. The last 2 were after her deployment and her discharge (retirement). I at Bening when she came home and was discharged. I took one look at her DD214 and drug her back to Admin and told them I wanted to talk to someone who knew how to fill out a 214. Her last one is more complete but still doesn't have all her schools, but like me she kept her orders and copy of her 201 file just in case.

Last edited:
Just a guy that runs his mouth. I usually don't care but he's new in town and I don't want anyone to be taken advantage of.
are you trying to verify for employment or just a guy that shoots his mouth off? If its for employment then you should have enough information to verify his credentials through records as stated above. If its just a guy that talks too much do a little research ask a lot of questions and try to catch him in a lie.

I gotta go ride fence, so I'll be back on later this evening. So thanks for the ideas and your time.

Also, it's not just his unbelievable "war" stories but it's his insane personnel life stories that make really doubt anything he says. I.E. getting recruited by the police to help do something then getting charged and convicted with a felony after the "job" was done.

That should be enough right there to tell you this guy is full of shit. Is this guy claiming to be a SEAL? There are a few sites I can point you to that specialize in outing posers. If he's making money off of his lies these people will dig into him, if he's just running his mouth at the bar then save your time and just tell him he's full of shit.

You can also do a FOIA search on him to get his records but you will need a bit of info on him first.

Normally the biggest give away, besides all the talking, is that they have done Black Ops stuff and it won't be in their records. The schools they attended, such as BUDs, will be on his DD-214. Everyone I know that has served always have stories of the stupid shit they have done and had to go through, not so much the Black Ops shit.

I agree DD214 can be a mixed bag of accuracy and completeness. If you can get him to mention specific outfits and dates you can probably find others on the Internet that were in those outfits at the same time and may recognize him or his name. I've tracked down people I haven't seen or talked to in over 20 years by searching for them on the Internet with a few known facts. My records don't mention anything about me guarding flying saucers at Groom Lake or delivering suitcases full of money to shady characters in Macedonia.

To parrot what others have said, DD214's are hardly accurate. Mine for example has only boot camp, infantry school, security forces school...meanwhile I have 8 years worth of certs from various pme and formal schools during my time with FAST as well as a grunt battalion. What I was told (EAS'd Aug. 2012) by the clerk was that for a school to go on a DD2 it has to me an MOS producing school and graduation has to be within 1 year from your EAS. I don't know how true that is but thats what was explained to me when I bitched.

If he is claiming to be a NAVY SEAL...head over to SOCNET and provide his name....if he is just running his mouth and not a quiet professional call him out casually and see how he reacts.
No shit. SOCNET is serious business lol. I was lurking for awhile when I was toying with contracting, but I can't even count how many times people were being outed as frauds. Hell, some Army kid was at some school prior to SF/ODAWhateverthe fuck school, I guess it's like a tryout course w/e. Anyway, he shot his mouth off on SOCNET and got flamed pretty bad and didn't know when to quit. A few days later dude was logging in and apologizing begging them to tell his instructors he cut the shit and apologized to the site. I guess someone knew them as it's apparently a very small community and showed them the young mans correspondence with SOCNET and attitude. I do believe he was cut from the course as other members said they went to far in arranging that.

Last edited:
If he is claiming to be a NAVY SEAL...head over to SOCNET and provide his name....if he is just running his mouth and not a quiet professional call him out casually and see how he reacts.

The smack-talkers are usually liars. That "recruited by police and then arrested" crap would have me 100% sure he was a liar. Next time he gets going, about halfway through a sentence, roll your eyes and walk away.

Call him a lying CS to his face. Quietly, tell him he is shaming the honor of ALL those that served, regardless of MOS or branch.

If he is real, he'll prove it, and will know how to do that. Rarely is the loudmouth the real deal.

If he was a SEAL, he'll remember his swim buddy and his class number. Easy to check him out from there.

But... I digress for a moment. Was at a favorite restuarant/bar, eating quietly, alone, friend that owns the place introduces me to a guy, says he is one of 3 living MOH SEALS. I roll my eyes, am polite, the guy seemed very quiet and not very boastful of his service. Age is right, demeanor is pretty good, but..... I just HATE giving respect to those that haven't earned it.

Later that night, talked to a buddy of mine retired from the teams ' " Oh yeah, he's the real deal, google him, and tell me if that is the guy".

It was, I still owe him for a round of drinks......

THAT is why imposters hurt everyone that served, causes you to doubt the truth when presented with it.

Last edited:
Whats the best way to checking into someones military schooling? This questions involves the Navy. Don't want to get into it but will give more detailed info in PM's. Thanks for your time.

-RJ-

If you don't already know, you don't have a legit need to know.

EDIT:

Honestly if the dude is just talking shit, ignore it. I have friends who were in some of those communities. One of them is quiet/reserved as shit, but the most confident guy you will ever meet and would rip my arms off and beat me with them if he wanted to. (2ndBatt Ranger Sniper/SOTIC Grad/Lvl4 Combatives Instructor). Another is a loudmouth who within 5 minutes of meeting someone, they know he was a PJ.

Usualy you should just mind your own business, unless this is effecting your business.

SC threw out the stollen valor act, so there is little than can be legally done. Unless this guy is trying to use fake creds to get a job, public office, or scam a vet group... then its not worth your time to get involved. No reason to stir shit and draw a crosshair on your back.

There is also the possibility the guy is legit and is just an asshole or has mental issues. Your going to look like a total shitbag if your wrong.

Last edited:
If you don't already know, you don't have a legit need to know.

EDIT:

Honestly if the dude is just talking shit, ignore it. I have friends who were in some of those communities. One of them is quiet/reserved as shit, but the most confident guy you will ever meet and would rip my arms off and beat me with them if he wanted to. (2ndBatt Ranger Sniper/SOTIC Grad/Lvl4 Combatives Instructor). Another is a loudmouth who within 5 minutes of meeting someone, they know he was a PJ.

Usualy you should just mind your own business, unless this is effecting your business.

SC threw out the stollen valor act, so there is little than can be legally done. Unless this guy is trying to use fake creds to get a job, public office, or scam a vet group... then its not worth your time to get involved. No reason to stir shit and draw a crosshair on your back.

There is also the possibility the guy is legit and is just an asshole or has mental issues. Your going to look like a total shitbag if your wrong.

I agree with the above, best advice so far. If you're a potential employer then by all means vet this guy all the way. If he's just telling tall tales at the bar it's best to ignore him. He'll get his one way or another. Way too much time, energy and attention devoted to these clowns when all they want in the first place is attention.

I have 2 dd214s, one from my first 6 years, and then another one when I came back in and retired.

Nothing will keep your DD214 from being accurate like a clearance job.

I was (am) a fat douche bag aircraft maintainer, who got lucky and got a clearance job. Got to deploy to some cool places, had lots of in bound morters, never exchanged fire with the Derkas. We used the aircraft to blow some crap up, but it wasn't me, I was on the ground 100-1000 miles away playing ping pong, cleaning guns, and buying the every third cool Benchmade knife the PX in Afghan, Turkey or Djibouti carried in a month.

Everyone who has ever been in the military likes to think that they mattered, and in all honestly they probably did. The are a lot of moving pieces in the puzzle.

Even my aircraft admin people who put together aircraft logbooks, before a flight to find the bad guys, did more for their country than some idiot who hasn't served.

I was in two squadrons that considered themselves to be 2nd Tier, at the end of the day no one in the squadron was doing low level assaults from a helicopter, we were at 40,000 feet taking photos. Telling the MIB on the ground where the derkas were.

I never felt like we were Tier anything, it's not Hollywood, we aren't Kevin Bacon and a couple degree of seperation from Tier 1, doesn't make you Tier 2.

At the end of the day, FAT DOUCHE BAG AIRCRAFT MAINTAINER who got to do some cool stuff is what needs to be on my tombstone, and I'd be happy with that.

Guys that run around telling the world they can't talk about the shit they did, usually means that they are 1 step below me and my fellow fat douche bag aircraft maintainers.

Because the guys that can't talk about the shit they did, don't usually lead you to beleive they did shit in the first place. They have the confidence of killing a grizzly bear with a spoon, and then remorsing that they wished they didn't use a plastic spoon.

Thanks for your time everyone. I'm not gonna waste another second on this guy. Turkey season is coming up and I still have a crap ton of fence to fix. Take care

-RJ-

I have 2 dd214s, one from my first 6 years, and then another one when I came back in and retired.

I was (am) a fat douche bag aircraft maintainer, who got lucky and got a clearance job. Got to deploy to some cool places, had lots of in bound morters, never exchanged fire with the Derkas. We used the aircraft to blow some crap up, but it wasn't me, I was on the ground 100-1000 miles away playing ping pong, cleaning guns, and buying the every third cool Benchmade knife the PX in Afghan, Turkey or Djibouti carried in a month.

Everyone who has ever been in the military likes to think that they mattered, and in all honestly they probably did. The are a lot of moving pieces in the puzzle.

Even my aircraft admin people who put together aircraft logbooks, before a flight to find the bad guys, did more for their country than some idiot who hasn't served.

I was in two squadrons that considered themselves to be 2nd Tier, at the end of the day no one in the squadron was doing low level assaults from a helicopter, we were at 40,000 feet taking photos. Telling the MIB on the ground where the derkas were.

I never felt like we were Tier anything, it's not Hollywood, we aren't Kevin Bacon and a couple degree of seperation from Tier 1, doesn't make you Tier 2.

At the end of the day, FAT DOUCHE BAG AIRCRAFT MAINTAINER who got to do some cool stuff is what needs to be on my tombstone, and I'd be happy with that.

Guys that run around telling the world they can't talk about the shit they did, usually means that they are 1 step below me and my fellow fat douche bag aircraft maintainers.

Because the guys that can't talk about the shit they did, don't usually lead you to beleive they did shit in the first place. They have the confidence of killing a grizzly bear with a spoon, and then remorsing that they wished they didn't use a plastic spoon.

Great post!

Not totally true. It's only as good as the person that types it up. Easy to leave something off or it was never entered into your service record. Had it happen twice on 2 different DD-214's. I now have a DD-215. Corrected version. Took a couple years.

+1 from the Hueyguy, "bending" the height-weight charts. Well said!!

My dad never talked about his WWII until after I too had served and was out of the service for 10 years. He was in the sixth wave at D-day. I signed an agreement at that time not to talk about anything I did that was classified. I kept that pledge.
001-2-1.jpg

I know plenty of Tier One guys who are jerks that can't keep their mouth shut - just like in any other community of people.

Bottom line: It's not stolen valor, it's drama-seeking by chaos mongers.

I just smile and nod...That is, unles he's blocking me at the bar - in which case I might ask a few questions, but only if there's an audience for it.

Last edited:
Call him a lying CS to his face. Quietly, tell him he is shaming the honor of ALL those that served, regardless of MOS or branch.

If he is real, he'll prove it, and will know how to do that. Rarely is the loudmouth the real deal.

If he was a SEAL, he'll remember his swim buddy and his class number. Easy to check him out from there.

But... I digress for a moment. Was at a favorite restuarant/bar, eating quietly, alone, friend that owns the place introduces me to a guy, says he is one of 3 living MOH SEALS. I roll my eyes, am polite, the guy seemed very quiet and not very boastful of his service. Age is right, demeanor is pretty good, but..... I just HATE giving respect to those that haven't earned it.

Later that night, talked to a buddy of mine retired from the teams ' " Oh yeah, he's the real deal, google him, and tell me if that is the guy".

It was, I still owe him for a round of drinks......

THAT is why imposters hurt everyone that served, causes you to doubt the truth when presented with it.

I could not agree with you more. How sad a state of affairs are we in when you pretty much assume that anyone claiming to be anything special is probably lying. It is just a shame that so many bullshit artists have come along that it casts doubt on everyone. Could you imagine being a MOH medal awardee and feeling the need to prove it?

I, and I assume you also, could never imagine being so fucking disrespectful as to claim things that are not true, but I believe we are a dying breed.

Get him a round for me too.

Agree. About five years ago I somehow got connected with a guy who wanted some used parachutes for a charity involved with promoting demo jumps. I agreed to donate some but got suspicious about his qualifications.

He claimed he was with the 75th Rangers in Vietnam and i called him out on it. Well he was vetted by the association as having served. But that wasn't the end of it. After i sent the parachutes to him for free he sends me threatening e-mails for doubting who he was and what he did.

I discussed his messages with some retired official of the Ranger association and just chalked it up to some mental issues.

No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

I could not agree with you more. How sad a state of affairs are we in when you pretty much assume that anyone claiming to be anything special is probably lying. It is just a shame that so many bullshit artists have come along that it casts doubt on everyone. Could you imagine being a MOH medal awardee and feeling the need to prove it?

I, and I assume you also, could never imagine being so fucking disrespectful as to claim things that are not true, but I believe we are a dying breed.

Get him a round for me too.

And who are you?

Unless you served in those units , paid the entrance fee in blood, sweat and tears, you got no right to be offended.

Mind your own fucking business. We have this thing called the 1st Amendment, maybe you have heard of it. It is the reason the Stollen Valor act was ruled unconstitutional (rightfully so on most counts). People talk shit all the time about everything. Hell 90% of the stories guys in units tell are lucky to be half truths.

Now shit on service members or talk shit about fallen brothers in my presence? Laws or not, you will be looking at an extended stay in your nearest ICU.

There is a time and place to get into it. Some retard at the bar is not worth your time or effort. Grow the fuck up.

And who are you?

Unless you served in those units , paid the entrance fee in blood, sweat and tears, you got no right to be offended.

Mind your own fucking business. We have this thing called the 1st Amendment, maybe you have heard of it. It is the reason the Stollen Valor act was ruled unconstitutional (rightfully so on most counts). People talk shit all the time about everything. Hell 90% of the stories guys in units tell are lucky to be half truths.

Now shit on service members or talk shit about fallen brothers in my presence? Laws or not, you will be looking at an extended stay in your nearest ICU.

There is a time and place to get into it. Some retard at the bar is not worth your time or effort. Grow the fuck up.

There's a possibility that you misunderstood the context of my post. And if not, and I still cranked you off, then I just don't get it. I was referring to people shitting all over military service to the point that when a legit guy comes along, no one believes it. It's a shame.

My comment about buying the guy another round was in direct reference to "MikeeBooshay" later finding out the guy he was introduced to was a legit MOH awardee and he appeared (at least that's how I took it) to feel bad that he did not believe it at first. He said that he owed the guy a round and I was simply tipping my cap and saying to buy him a round for me too because that man should never have to pay for a beer for the rest of his life.

I am truly sorry if my show of respect to a MOH awardee somehow offended you. I am truly lost in it.

Mind your own fucking business. We have this thing called the 1st Amendment, maybe you have heard of it. It is the reason the Stollen Valor act was ruled unconstitutional (rightfully so on most counts).

This is a glaring contradiction my friend. You seem to be a proponent of the 1st Amendment in one sentence yet in the next you're threatening bodily harm on people that talk shit about service members. Not saying you're wrong either way, just pick a side and stick to it.

I find nothing disrespectful about Tick's post. If anything, him being offended by the antics of posers to me shows that he is demonstrating the utmost respect for our service members.

After 20 years of service, I can only say that you will never get an award for the 99% of the times you killed yourself for the Nation working like a dog. I personally think awards are BS, even the silver star, and especially awards like the Legion of Merit. I probably hate the Legion of Merit the most out of anything we have. The US Military gives out thousands of Bronze Stars, Silver Stars, and Legion of Merits to foreign military senior officers every year.

Before I retired I broke my back ( :( fell down the stairs, pretty heroic right?), and had a crap admin job working on military awards for the war zone. Everyday I saw awards come across my desk that were for some paper pusher O-4 or above, to get a silver star, BSM or Legion of Merit. In 3 years in the job I saw one heroism award, get a BSM, Silver Star or Legion of Merit, we are talking thousands of awards.

I am pretty proud of the average American military man, for most people they see awards as just a piece of metal and cloth. I told one of my fellow E6's (he was one of those 6 year kids, really a smart guy), that I thought awards were BS, and it was a horrible way for a man to measure his self worth.

When I was young and dumb and full of (well you know the rest). I was a glory hound, anything to get chest candy. I asked not to receive a retirement award, because I was so jaded by the way awards are handled.

I am love my campaign medals and unit awards, to me they prove that I was part of something that mattered. Personal awards, were always for the wrong thing at the wrong time. I am not bitter about it, they just don't impress me much anymore. I think anyone that has been in for a long time has gotten a Acheivement Medal or Commendation medal for something stupid, and the things that they killed themselves getting done they never got awards for.

Anyone who got a Purple heart deserves a salute, and anything the VA can do for them for the rest of their life. Medal of Honor awardees are the stuff of legend, I think a lot of dead men deserve one. I guess the MOH on the tomb of the unknowns is for all those that should have gotten one that didn't. I always thought that was a shitty answer.

Sorry I should say FOREIGN officer, or SGT Major, never for the foreign enlisted infantryman in the field.

Just remember that serving today is in a small American population statistic - 1% is the last I heard. Whether you are the been there done that guy or just the pencil pushing moving papers kind of guy you are still in a very small minority compared to the U.S. population and I have respect for you for just showing up!

After 20 years of service, I can only say that you will never get an award for the 99% of the times you killed yourself for the Nation working like a dog. I personally think awards are BS, even the silver star, and especially awards like the Legion of Merit. I probably hate the Legion of Merit the most out of anything we have. The US Military gives out thousands of Bronze Stars, Silver Stars, and Legion of Merits to foreign military senior officers every year.

Before I retired I broke my back ( :( fell down the stairs, pretty heroic right?), and had a crap admin job working on military awards for the war zone. Everyday I saw awards come across my desk that were for some paper pusher O-4 or above, to get a silver star, BSM or Legion of Merit. In 3 years in the job I saw one heroism award, get a BSM, Silver Star or Legion of Merit, we are talking thousands of awards.

I am pretty proud of the average American military man, for most people they see awards as just a piece of metal and cloth. I told one of my fellow E6's (he was one of those 6 year kids, really a smart guy), that I thought awards were BS, and it was a horrible way for a man to measure his self worth.

When I was young and dumb and full of (well you know the rest). I was a glory hound, anything to get chest candy. I asked not to receive a retirement award, because I was so jaded by the way awards are handled.

I am love my campaign medals and unit awards, to me they prove that I was part of something that mattered. Personal awards, were always for the wrong thing at the wrong time. I am not bitter about it, they just don't impress me much anymore. I think anyone that has been in for a long time has gotten a Acheivement Medal or Commendation medal for something stupid, and the things that they killed themselves getting done they never got awards for.

Anyone who got a Purple heart deserves a salute, and anything the VA can do for them for the rest of their life. Medal of Honor awardees are the stuff of legend, I think a lot of dead men deserve one. I guess the MOH on the tomb of the unknowns is for all those that should have gotten one that didn't. I always thought that was a shitty answer.
Sometimes I quote myself:
The first kind of courage is rare: The act of bravery that brings victory in a great campaign measurably closer.

The second kind of courage is that of the individual who is thrown into a hopeless situation: Like conscripts in WWI, or civilians deported to concentration camps in WW II.

The third kind has become tragically common: It is the quality that men summon from within themselves to deal with a hopeless fate thrust upon them by incompetent commanders. This courage is a form of dignity which makes a pointless death otherwise acceptable to a man's family and to his peers.

Unfortunately, recognizing this form of courage has the effect of camoflaging the incompetence of those who bestow the award. Medals which accompany the waste of life are a trick of military incompetence - in lieu of life itself, the individual gets a medal.

Last edited:
Graham,

Wonderfully put:

"Unfortunately, recognizing this form of courage has the effect of camoflaging the incompetence of those who bestow the award. Medals which accompany the waste of life are a trick of military incompetence - in lieu of life itself, the individual gets a medal."

I figured I would update everyone that posted here. The guy was in the Navy, he was a corpsman, and thats it. After corpsman school he was dishonorably discharged for drugs.

Seeing a fraud get outed is one of my many guilty pleasures. +1 - SOCNET makes for some interesting threads on the subject. Thanks for the update.

My guilty pleasure during my time in was to send someone to the DAPA or kick out a douche bag for drugs.

I caught one of the command Russian drug dealers in the act at the barracks one night in Italy. If a guy subscribes to High Times magazine, odds are you will catch him eventually. For some reason he was brazen enough to smoke pot in his room, then he left to go to the base internet cafe, and I had the base cops waiting for him when he walked back in.

Dumb bastard has almost a pound of pot sitting on his night stand.

You can't let alcohol run your life, especially when you have a clearance.

This is a glaring contradiction my friend. You seem to be a proponent of the 1st Amendment in one sentence yet in the next you're threatening bodily harm on people that talk shit about service members. Not saying you're wrong either way, just pick a side and stick to it.

I find nothing disrespectful about Tick's post. If anything, him being offended by the antics of posers to me shows that he is demonstrating the utmost respect for our service members.

I will refrain from eloquent speech, and agree that ill cultured hypocrisy appears to be the way of this one. I always love stollen at Christmas when our friends send it out.