• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Military crimped and Berdan primer removal.

Brilliant idea, but I think I will keep using my Lee universal decapper that has deprimed a few thousand 223 and hundreds of 308’s without issue.

I wonder if he knows any tricks for swaging berdan primer pockets for boxer primer use

I'm pretty sure all he did was decap 308 boxer-primed brass that was staked in 3 spots for a crimp. Berdan primed brass doesn't have a center hole like standard boxer brass which is why you break decapping pins. Not too impressed.

I don't know why I was hoping he misses the metal and hit his hand instead?

Pretty cool method... something to keep in mind just in case my decapping pins breaks and there's a wide spread shortage of it nationwide lol

This will work fine for the Berdan primers too. The Berdans have two flash holes, and will allow the pressure transfer just fine. The only problem is that the Berdans have a "fixed" anvil as part of the primer pocket. You would always need to use Berdan primers as Boxers have their anvil in the primer.
I did a thread on converting Berdans to Boxers using a drill to make a new flash hole, drilling through the firing pin mark as a center, the spent primer, the anvil, and the case head. Then I use an awl to pry the primer out.... Works well, and the cases shot well afterwards.
Not sure how to remove the anvil after the primer is removed.

Cheers,
Tim
The Right to Keep and Bear Arms Shall NOT be Infringed