• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Military/ LE sniper competitions

Christopher Rance

CR2 Shooting Solutions
Minuteman
I'm just curious if anyone knows of other competitions that really test all aspects on the sniper craft from stalking events to stress shoots. I really want to enter a few competitions next year and the only ones Im really tracking are Sniper International at Benning, Gastonia and Fort Meade's sniper comp. If there are more please list, thank you.

Re: Military/ LE sniper competitions

Gastonia & Meade are very good competitions, but they are more geared to the LE Sniper than MIL.
Gastonia has tons of great events, but most are not at distances over 100 yards.

Meade is a week long match where there are not many COFs.
- 100 Yard Balls target for tie breaker.
- 100 Yard Poker target.
- 200 Yard Movers
- 200 Yard Positional
- 500 Yard Prone
- Observation Exercise
- Ranging Exercise
- O-Course followed by a pursuit course. (Longest shot is less than 300 yards)
- Unknown distance COF on USSS range. (Longest shot is just under 1,000 yards)

The International Sniper Competition at Benning is the only one that has a stalk.
Since they changed the format over to be a non stop competition resembling "Best Ranger", things are a lot different.
In my opinion, the International Sniper Competition is currently in a league of its own.

Another competition that is similar to the ones that you have listed is the North American Sniper Competition.
I don't have any experience with any competitions other than the East Coast.
Hope this helps you out a bit.

We will be putting one together for 2012 that will be 2 and a half days. Shoot Saturday to 1025Y, Full Darkness night fire Saturday night, and TD/Fieldcraft/Hide/Stalk-Shoot on Sunday morning.

Most of our shots are longer distance, but there is some close stuff too.

Shoot from your FFP's at 1pm, or if you got burned, from the firing line for half points.

I will post once I have something more final and a date.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper24INF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow very nice indeed. This is something were very interested in. Please post details when finalized. My email address is [email protected] is you have any additional info. Thank you.</div></div>
Please edit your post so that your E-mail is redacted.
You just made me cringe when I saw it out there.
There are many "Spam Bots" & other nefarious characters out there that will try to exploit that E-mail address.

Send your contact info to Fargo007 in a PM.
He is a great guy and you will enjoy his matches.

Hmmmm.... interesting: A stalking competition. How many competitors can you get through a stalk in half a day?

All of them. :)

We take over 30 in the match, and the range property is 460 acres.

The way we're going to run it a shooter must get to where they can see the target and make a placard ID unobserved. No minimum distance, but competitors will be shooting from the spot they make the ID. So they must get close enough for their ability to make a first round hit.

We will do a hide/fixed position shot also. Remain unobserved for the time period, make the ID, and you shoot from your location for full score. Get burned and you shoot from the firing line for half points.

Another stage will give shooters an amount of time to burn the concealed staff.

It's not cutting into shooting time because the club has an easement with a church and we can't start shooting until the afternoon on Sunday morning. Once the afternoon rolls around it's hammer time.

I should add that this won't be a restricted match. Open to anyone who wants to play.

--Fargo007

National Guard MTU does the ISSTE every year. It tests land nav, shooting pistol and scoped rifle, as well as stalking.

I would recommend it highly. The comp was phenomenal. Challenging sniper teams from all angles and a great learning experience working with teams from all branches and areas of the military.

Just shoot matches: The fact that its an LE comp, or a military comp, doesn't make it special.

Most LE comps are short range, with some run & gun.

And stalking isn't a competition, it's a skill set.

In my experience, closed comps often serve only to limit both the talent pool and the criticism.

If you want to learn to shoot it's still hard to beat ASC.

LE/Mil comps have a different twist. Not all the time but the majority of the time the equipment, weapons, caliber and ammo are on a level playing field.

Graham, everything is a skill set and anything can be a competition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Graham, everything is a skill set and anything can be a competition. </div></div>Fair enough. But stalking depends on the observer as much as it does on the competitor.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you have a contact point for asc? </div></div>PM to Mountain Shooter here on the 'Hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We will be competing in 2012's North American Sniper Competition. Were looking forward to it. International will follow. </div></div>

Any info on how to register for these events? I know a couple of LE shooters out West who are interested.
wink.gif
You can PM me the details. Thanks.

PS. The Oregon Sniper Challenge (www.coldborecomps.com) is turning into a LE/Military "sniper" competition and moving away from a tactical long range event.

If you have any questions about the Gastonia Sniper Comp please feel free to ask. We are finalizing the dates in October and should have a definate date out after the holidays.

Storm Mountian West Virginia,Wounded warrior comp. Shot that in October this year. By far the best event I have ever entered. Unsure if they will run one in 2012. You can check it out at there website,www.stormmountian.com. the last time I checked there were some picks of the event posted there.Great setup and training facility.

Yeah I shot it to, it was a blast. Im looking at the North American sniper championship in march, Fort meade's annual comp in june, the 24 hour sniper challenge in utah in July, then wrap up the year at International.

Funny you mention Stalking in a match or as a match. I posed that question to several Mil and LE shooters before on implementing a stalk into the match I host (PPRS) or even having an entirely different match that centered on stalking.

Man did I get the WTF look and statements to follow: "No one would ever come, It's too dangerous for the competitors(really), it's not realistic enough for to draw shooters, no one wants to participate if they have to build or buy a ghillie. Too many snakes in the summer, blah blah blah". I heard it all.

But with 800 acres land isn't a problem.
Might do it anyway some day.

Todd

You should. Stalking might be a bit outdated, I never suited up in my ghillie in Iraq but the whole point of a stalk is to mentally and physically set up for a perfect shot. Then E&E out without being seen. What greater challenge is that? Throw in a few dynamic stress/urban lanes and your sniper comp is in business. Take out the prone, paper crap as well, I never shot basic prone in Iraq or Afghanistan, always off a tripod, pack, ect. Storm mountain was great for those winds on the first day were just killer, not that 10mph crap you see on static ranges.

we have run the idea of having a Stalk event over and over. We have the land and the area to do it..the main downside is just a time factor. Way too much to add a long stalk to an event that is pretty tight on time. It would take adding another day for a stalk and that would result in alot of downtime for other competitors. As much as we would like to try something like that I dont see it.

Stalks are cool, but I would like to see more SKT (small kill team) scenarios since that's what the sniper does on a majority basis. Even LE, its dynamic, quick thinking shooting we see today. Take the recent incidents at Hood, or Virginia Tech. Snipers need to run into the AO, setup and either feed HQ TGT info,or neutralize the threat.

I just think the whole prone shooting is out dated. In two tours, I never went prone in a hide site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG Chris Rance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stalks are cool, but I would like to see more SKT (small kill team) scenarios since that's what the sniper does on a majority basis. Even LE, its dynamic, quick thinking shooting we see today. Take the recent incidents at Hood, or Virginia Tech. Snipers need to run into the AO, setup and either feed HQ TGT info,or neutralize the threat.

I just think the whole prone shooting is out dated. In two tours, I never went prone in a hide site.

You should. Stalking might be a bit outdated, I never suited up in my ghillie in Iraq but the whole point of a stalk is to mentally and physically set up for a perfect shot. Then E&E out without being seen. What greater challenge is that? Throw in a few dynamic stress/urban lanes and your sniper comp is in business. Take out the prone, paper crap as well, I never shot basic prone in Iraq or Afghanistan, always off a tripod, pack, etc.

</div></div>

Match director here, paying attention.

PM me when you can Chris and give me some ideas on how we might run some SKT scenario/stages.

--Fargo007