• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Military Pay Freeze

JohnT

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
Ft. Lewis, WA
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">U.S. troops could be required to report to work without pay if a budget clash in Congress results in a government-wide shutdown, according to draft planning guidance circulating in the Pentagon.

A shutdown could happen as early as next week, as the government is set to run out of money at midnight March 17. A bill that would keep the government operating temporarily has been prepared in the House of Representatives, but it is not clear when or if it might pass.

The government has been operating under a series of temporary appropriations, known as continuing resolutions, since Oct. 1 because of lawmakers’ inability to agree on how much money to provide federal agencies. Budget discussions have become increasingly complicated since the November general elections resulted in a divided legislature, with Republicans controlling the House and Democrats controlling the Senate.

When the government was shut down in 1995, military personnel continued to report to work and were paid, but the planning guidance sent to the services and defense agencies says a shutdown this time will be different.

“All military personnel will continue in normal duty status regardless of their affiliation with exempt or non-exempt activities,” says the draft planning guidance that was prepared for the services and defense agencies. “Military personnel will serve without pay until such time as Congress makes appropriated funds available to compensate them for this period of service.”

Troops would miss a payday only if the shutdown continues through April 1.

Defense civilian workers would be divided into two categories. “Essential” employees would be required to report to work even though they will not be paid; “nonessential” employees would be furloughed, according to the memo.

Troops and essential civilians who report for work without pay would receive back pay when government funding is restored. But whether furloughed civilians would receive back pay could depend on whether Congress specifically authorizes that, according to congressional aides who have been doing their own shutdown planning.

The memo, prepared in early March but never formally issued as guidance, attempts to spell out what defense missions would shut down and what would stay open in the event funding stops.

• Military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan will continue, including preparations for any units scheduled for deployment.

• Operations necessary for national security, safety of human life and protection of property will continue, but operations that don’t meet one of those three criteria will be “shut down in an orderly and deliberate fashion.”

• Recruiting offices, processing centers and basic training will remain operational.

• Emergency repairs and maintenance that cannot be deferred will be done on base facilities and housing.

• Medical and dental facilities will remain open, although elective surgery and procedures will be postponed. Suicide, substance abuse counseling and crisis intervention will continue.

• Dependents schools and education centers for service members will be open for use by private agencies for courses for which payment already has been made.

• Dining halls, gyms and child care centers will stay open.

• Base exchanges may remain open because they operate using nonappropriated funds. But commissaries, which are supported by taxpayer funds, may be closed, although the memo says military personnel might be assigned to replace furloughed civilians so the grocery stores could remain open. </div></div>

http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2011/03/military-contingency-plan-government-shutdown-031111w/

Seeing as there's alot of other guys in the .mil, does anyone know anything else about this subject?

Re: Military Pay Freeze

Eh I am pretty sure it wont really hamper anything... I think something will be passed so that we will get paid on the first of April... I am not getting worried.

There were some issues involving Overpay and No Pay Due issues on the LES.

The dispursing system is probably much better now.

Ummmmmmm. I don't see how any employer could expect you to work for free, including uncle sugar....

They don't pay OT either. If they did, we would be another trillion in debt.

yes we just heard about this at work today... Has me worried i just came off pre-deployment leave and spent a bit to much... Bills for next month may be exceptionally tight.

Money in today. I don't think this is going to affect anything. It would get rather seedy if Joe goes broke.....

Been working for the government for 20 years. Every time this happens the civilian non essential personnel don't go to work but they end up getting paid when the budget is passed. I am suspecting it will be the same if they do it to the military. I wouldn't sweat it. You will get paid eventually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alt6grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it happened twice under Carter for a short period. </div></div>

'78 and '79, IIRC. Many of the local banks and businesses would hold your check until the budget was passed...except the one on base.

I don't remember them holding your checks. Could have, I didn't have a checking account. Base pay was about $400 a month.

"non essential personnel don't go to work but they end up getting paid when the budget is passed"

Civillians don't go to work, but get paid, just a little late.

Our Military troops will continue without any service interuption, some while in a combat zone,firefight or where ever they are seperated from their families. Another example of why the military is not a regular job.

Thank you troops, most Americans have no idea of what you do while we lay sleeping safely in our homes.

Thanks Grunt but some of us do have an idea and have worn the uniform. No need to tell us what our military does.

My post was in explaination having gone through this before. I am essential personnel so I still go to work as well.

Never missed a single payment anytime they said the budget wasn't passed in 26+ years while I was either active or reserve duty.
You do your job, you get paid. If it takes an extra week, apply for a Hurt Feelings Report, and drive the hell on. We all signed a bottom line for our own death warrant and whatever else came our way good or bad. We stood by it, and took it all

ok missing the april first payday, what it means to me, FYI i know cause in 96 clinton did it to us for the month of OCT.

No pay to me means no making a morgage payment, yup also will miss the april property tax payment, 6 month insurance payment is due that month. lets see need gas to go to work, need food to feed the family. In short this will screw up my credit and screw it up real good just for missing payment owed to my Wife( SGT USMC) Although she caint sue, I CAN AND I WILL cause I will not go through this again without retribution. In 96 both me and my wife was both active duty. so we was screwed. we had to seek help from Navy and Marine Corps Relief for loans that month to cover all the bills.

Also I am expecting a Tele Interview from a company in Florida. If a no pay screws up me moving and loosing this job, Hell yes I will recieve retributions for that as well. NOT this time, I will not stand by and let them screw up my life cause they caint settle on a budget.

They way I see it, stop funding stupid studies. Who cares what katchup brand is thicker, or how many sheets of toilet paper the average man or woman uses. Quit spending money on gathering more land for a preserve. It is there it is a preserv. Animals there will survive and over populate and spread out. dont need to get more land to help the already over population, or spend more money on kill offs to help the land. How about opening up the preserv to hunters and harvest the game and put it to use. and get coinage in the process.

I stand to miss my Mil Ret Pay, SS, and my Wife's VA disability.

So what I'll survive. I'm more concerned about holding fast and doing what ever it takes to cut this BS spending and putty my kids and grandkids further in debt.

Being late with payments a month or two is not near as difficult as my grandkids paying for our barrowing and spending.

Talk to your lenders, they listen to the news, they know they will get paid, if not this month, then next.

Just remember who did what come next election year.

My comments were for those who don't understand and for the others that may have forgotten. If that offended you, I am sorry, or either I don’t care, depending on the situation.

My praise still goes out to all who serve without question in some of the worst environments in the world.

I don’t have much sympathy for those that are working in a Senator’s Office while the NFL football strike takes priority over other issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was active duty in October of 96 and I don't recall missing a paycheck...?</div></div>

That's because you didn't. The funding bill during that time ensured the military got paid. The current situation does not have that same setup.

On a side note, on some other locations where I've read this, I've seen the same comment, but if one reads through ALL the information available, one will find specific paragraphs dedicated to the statement of the difference between the two time periods.

From the article located here:
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/...11w/?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d7b322bb4792de8,2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
When the government was shut down in 1995, military personnel continued to report to work and were paid, but the planning guidance sent to the services and defense agencies says a shutdown this time will be different.</div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> SmithE-6 </span> you sound like a little girl whining about my little ponies and stomping your feet for not getting your way. I was in in 1996 and I did not miss a single paycheck. I am still Currently Serving, with a 2kids and a wife on only my paycheck with all the bills that go along with that. I understand what one paycheck missed will mean and what it will take away from my family. With that said if you are living check to check then you were bound to fail sooner or later. How bout you suck it the fuck up just like everybody serving is going to have to do and move to hell on. Stop blabbing about suing the government and crying poor fucking me. While your here boo hooing some hard ass LCPL is going to be getting shot at or some PO3 will be working in 120+ heat on a flight deck of a carrier doing there Damn Job. That is a Shitty attitude to have especially as a leader, be apart of the solution not the problem. If your Wife is still a Sgt I hope she is not spreading this BS to her troops/Marines that kind of crap only destroys moral and causes problems, not to mention is a horrible attribute in a leader!

Eh, it is what it is. I just wish we had people that actually care about fixing issues rather than the petty back and forth shit. Our country is hurting when you can't even pass a budget.

Just so everyone know's if they stop paying you, don't expect them to cover any overdraft or late fee's. We had a mix up on some TDY where they stopped paying us for a little over a month. Out of 21 guys only 3 weren't overdrawn or had late payments. When we all went to finance and then JAG we were told that we should have planned better and not went in the hole. I spent 40 bucks over my acct costing me 90. So good luck to you guys.

<span style="color: #33CC00"><span style="font-weight: bold">EATING CROW</span> </span> Sorry <span style="color: #FF0000"> alt6grunt</span> somehow durning my rant I confused your screen name with SmithE-6. I will fix my post to refelect the correct name, again I apologize.

I doesn't sound like you guys are out of the woods yet. I wish you the best of luck.

The politicians may be somewhere over the rainbow, but main stream America supports you.

According to several news sources, military pay will be put on hold if there is a government shutdown. However, pay is on hold until the government operations resumes. This is a problem for those military families that are living paycheck to paycheck.

________
see girls military schools

A hand full of elected officials said they were not going to take paycheck, as long as the military didn’t get paid. Wow, big shit, multi millionaires without a financial concern in the world are willing to skip a pay check or two.

That noble act just did not impress me much. In many cases, their jets would still fly, their drivers and limos would still pick them up, their children’s private schools are still open and most likely their gov credit cards still work. Also they have an option to refuse a check.

If chunks of food start falling from the sky, it is probalbly our founding fathers looking down and watching thier replacements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never missed a single payment anytime they said the budget wasn't passed in 26+ years while I was either active or reserve duty.
You do your job, you get paid. If it takes an extra week, apply for a Hurt Feelings Report, and drive the hell on. We all signed a bottom line for our own death warrant and whatever else came our way good or bad. We stood by it, and took it all </div></div>

Very true, but that doesn't help Ms. Rifleman buy diapers and baby food, while hubby is looking for IEDs. Also, what's PFC Rifleman thinking about while looking for those IEDs?

I'm glad our troops won't miss a paycheck (for now), but let's all hope and pray our elected scum, uh, leaders will stop the madness before we implode.

The same government 'leaders' who in recent years created the 700 billion bank bailout and 787 billion stimulus packages.

Sad to hear they are messing with those who serve when throwing billions around elsewhere. Military pay should always show up on time when a person does their side of the deal.