• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Military switching side arms again?

Re: Military switching side arms again?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Silver_Bullet_00 said:
[quote=dbateman

I am not a big fan of the 40S&W round they don't call it 40 short and weak for nothing , the Military would probably stay with 9mm .
I would like to see them go back to 45acp but I cant see that happening .

</div></div>

Who calls the 40 S&W "short and weak"? I never heard this and would love to hear an explanation.

What is it about pistols, and pistol calibers; that brings out so much emotion and woman-like attachment..?

you guys realize why US military chose 9mm to begin with?

I don't think any of you know this...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you guys realize why US military chose 9mm to begin with?

I don't think any of you know this... </div></div>

I dont, can you expand on this please?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Who calls the 40 S&W "short and weak"? I never heard this and would love to hear an explanation. </div></div>

45 shooters like myself call 40S&W "short n wimpy".

The brief history behind it is when 1911 men like Cooper created the 10mm Auto as the new duty cartridge, the FBI couldn't handle it, so they practically commissioned the creation of .40S&W.

Those of us who look at 10mm Auto as a respectable cartridge feel that .40S&W is a shortened, weakened, and castrated version of the real thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Who calls the 40 S&W "short and weak"? I never heard this and would love to hear an explanation. </div></div>

Hey Cowboy sorry I did not reply been working and I am a bit sick at the moment trying to rest when not working first off there is this explanation bellow that KSwift provided

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">45 shooters like myself call 40S&W "short n wimpy".

The brief history behind it is when 1911 men like Cooper created the 10mm Auto as the new duty cartridge, the FBI couldn't handle it, so they practically commissioned the creation of .40S&W.

Those of us who look at 10mm Auto as a respectable cartridge feel that .40S&W is a shortened, weakened, and castrated version of the real thing. </div></div>

Also numerous account's of people that have got good hit's on a target with a 40S&W and not stopped the threat .

First,

for all the 1911 haters, I've owned 4 Kimbers, 3 Colts, and 1 Springer. All ran flawlessly except for a 1/100 mystery hickup on a Kimber Custom Eclipse. The Springfield Mil-Spec would actually be a pretty good choice, especially if they could find a way to capture the recoil spring to make it harder for the grunts to do something stupid.

Glocks have limitations. Despite all the love for them, the single glitch I see would be the trigger spring that does in fact have a limited service life. They would need to be changed at regular intervals and would require the armorer to do it. Having the general rank and file replace them wouldn't work.

I do see the M&P and the HK (either P30 or 45/45c models) as contenders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hey Cowboy sorry I did not reply been working and I am a bit sick at the moment trying to rest when not working first off there is this explanation bellow that KSwift provided

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">45 shooters like myself call 40S&W "short n wimpy".

Those of us who look at 10mm Auto as a respectable cartridge feel that .40S&W is a shortened, weakened, and castrated version of the real thing. </div></div>

Also numerous account's of people that have got good hit's on a target with a 40S&W and not stopped the threat .

</div></div>

I can find the same stats for the 9mm. 1 hit stops are all about shot placement. Also it is not good data, because of the account that lots of officers shoot until the attacker stops, so fast double taps are common in any caliber. Almost every department in America has moved to, or is moving to 40S&W. A lot of departments have also moved to 357 sig, such as the NC Highway Patrol, and they have been very pleased with performance.

<span style="color: #000000">Here is an interesting Copy and Paste about the subject to read.</span>

<span style="color: #660000">Handgun Ammo Stopping Power

All of us have been exposed to the varying theories regarding which type of handgun bullet is best for defensive purposes. Some proponents (Dr. Julian Hatcher) believed that "bigger is better" while the National Institute of Justice performed a "computer man" study a number of years ago which suggested that light and fast bullets achieved the most lethal results.

As more and more data becomes available, theories change. Evan Marshall wrote definitive studies in 1992, 1996 and 2000 after examining the results of thousands of actual shootings. His conclusions came as a result of actual shootings and not from firing bullets into wet newspaper, gelatin or some other artificial medium.edium.

His data is based on "one shot stops". This is defined as: 1. a single hit to anywhere on the body not counting the head, neck or extremity shot: 2. when a subject stops shooting or striking blows if that was what he was doing and 3. runs no more than 10 feet before collapsing. In other words, Marshall’s studies examine what happens in the first few seconds after a shooting.

In the past decade, major advances have been made in bullet design which adds to the lethality of the projectile. Every major US bullet manufacturer has their own proprietary projective which they claim is best for the job at hand. New calibers such as the 357 SIG have appeared on the scene while more data has been accumulated on relatively new bullets such as the 40 Smith & Wesson. Marshall’s newest study takes these events into consideration.

32 ACP - Most of the smaller caliber firearms such as this caliber and the .380 ACP are carried as "back-up" guns by law enforcement thus the increase in data from actual police shootings. The CorBon 62 gr. JHP round was involved in 17 shootings with 11 one shot stops which achieved a 65% rating followed closely by the Winchester 60 grain Silvertip which was fired 162 times and caused 104 stops for a 64% rating. The Federal 65 grain Hydra-Shok and the CCI 60 grain Gold Dot achieved one shot stops 63% and 60% of the time.

380 ACP - The top rounds in this category were the Federal 90 grain Hydra-Shok and the CorBon 90 grain JHP+P which both rated a 70% one shot stop rating. While Federal 90 grain FMJ ammo was used in a whopping 245 shootings, it only achieved 55% one shot stops.

38 Special - With the introduction of semi-auto pistols, this caliber was relegated to secondary status. This data is from 2 and 3 inch revolvers which limit muzzle velocity & therefore results are less than other comparable calibers. Both the Winchester and Federal 158 grain LHP+P offerings were involved in 158 shootings with the Winchester round making 121 single shot stops for a 68% rating and the Federal loading making 120 one shot stops for a 67% rating. Most all of the 16 loadings examined fell in the 60 percent range with the Federal 125 grain Nyclad LHP+P round earning a 61% rating. It’s clear than the long-used 158 grain lead hollowpoint pushed to +P pressures is the best round for this caliber.

357 Magnum - Once the king of law enforcement handguns, this caliber has also been replaced by large capacity auto-pistols. The data collected for this caliber came from 2 and 3 inch revolvers, not the longer barreled type. The top round was the Remington 124 grain JHP followed by the same loading by Federal. Both loads achieved a 91% one hit stop rating. Most other loads ranked in the 80% area with the Federal 158 grain Hydra-Shok achieving a 78% rating.

357 SIG - This is the most current law enforcement cartridge and therefore, shooting data is limited. The top rated cartridges were the Remington and Federal 125 grain JHPs. Both were rated at 91% one shot stops. Of the 9 loads evaluated, the poorest was the Federal 158 grain Hydra-Shok which was involved in 41 shootings with 32 one shot stops for a 78% rating.

9mm - This was the first semiauto pistol to be used extensively by police agencies and replaced the 38 Special and 357 Magnum round. Early loadings of the 147 grain round caused major stopping problems however current 147 grain designs are vastly superior. Clearly the best 9mm loads are those driven to +P+ pressures. Of the 20 loadings evaluated, the top load was the Federal 115 grain JHP +P+ involved in 209 shootings with 190 one shot stops for a 91% rating. The Winchester 115 grain JHP +P+ and 127 grain Ranger SXT +P+ both had 90% one shot stops. All five loads driven to +P+ pressures ranked in the top 5 followed by all bullets loaded to +P pressures. Rounds manufactured to standard pressure ratings comprised the bottom 12 loadings in the study.

40 S&W - This caliber has become extremely popular with law enforcement agencies due to the perceived deficiencies of the 9mm round. All manufacturers have at least 2 loadings of this caliber and it has served very well. The Remington 165 grain Golden Saber was used in 311 shootings and made 292 one shot stops for a 94% rating followed closely by the CCI 165 and 155 grain loadings and the Federal 155 grain Hydra-Shok bullet. These 3 loads made 93% one shot stops. Other manufacturers loads in the 90% range were the Federal 155 grain JHP and the CorBon 135 and 150 grain JHP bullets. Thirteen other loadings were evaluated with the poorest being the Winchester 180 grain FMJ that was involved in 134 encounters and made 95 (71%) one shot stops.

45 ACP - This caliber has been around for almost 100 years and is still the top rated round. More police agencies are using this round due to its proven stopping ability. The large diameter, heavy bullet is the basis for the "momentum" theory of stopping power however actual results in shootings show a mix of "light and fast" and "slow and heavy" rounds. The Remington 185 grain Golden Saber was involved in 148 shootings and caused 142 one shot stops for a 96% rating followed closely by the Federal 230 grain Hydra-Shok which caused 200 one shot stops in 211 shootings for a 95% rating. Eight of the 16 loadings examined rated above 90% one shot stops while 5 others rated in the 80s. The poorest stoppers were the Remington, Federal and Winchester 230 grain FMJ rounds which achieved 62% one shot stops.

It’s difficult to say that one type of bullet is best for all calibers and, in fact, these study results show that the best results come from a mix of heavy to light bullets which defy most theories. It is clear however that some loadings are much better than others and the decision is ours with respect to which we choose.</span>
[color:#990000][/color]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I can find the same stats for the 9mm. 1 hit stops are all about shot placement. Also it is not good data, because of the account that lots of officers shoot until the attacker stops, so fast double taps are common in any caliber. Almost every department in America has moved to, or is moving to 40S&W. A lot of departments have also moved to 357 sig, such as the NC Highway Patrol, and they have been very pleased with performance.

</div></div>

Notice I said good hit's on target , yes a lot of LE agencies are going to 40S&W and a lot are going away from it after going to it , so what dose that say ?

Also most agencies that I have herd of using the 357sig round are having very good result's , but the same agencies also train a lot .

I know that certain branches of the Au military went to the Glock 22 and dumped them and returned to other platform's . As well as a few Police department's I believe Indiana State Police is one big example; Topeka PD had some really bad experiences I also believe both went back to 9mm .

I also had heard that Oakland Pd have had issue's with there Glock's and recalled them ...I did not follow and am not sure of the out come (if anyone know's please let me know) but I have heard of more instances just like that to one to many time's .

I will just stick with what I know work's

If your shot in your vital organs with 9mm, 357, 40, 10mm, or 45, its not going to make much of a difference what caliber. Quality ammo (example - expands good and penetrates good enough) and shot placement is more important.

That being said, a lot of departments that have went back to the 9mm, was because most of them did not put enough training time (which equals money) in, and their officers could not handle the more snappier recoil of a 40/357 compared to the 9mm.

I say let the officers carry the biggest caliber they are comfortable with. Give them a choice 9mm 40 357 or 45. Now I know some disagree with that, because they want the officers to be able to share ammo if need be. Most shootouts are less than 1 mag. The majority under 3 shots.

for LE I agree the PD should allow officer's to carry what they are comfortable with
even if that means they can carry pow's .

You are also right in the fact that going to 9mm over 40/357 is a cost saving , to a point it is a pretty big decision to recall all the pistol's of a large PD that also cost's a lot of money .

I would not feel under gunned with a 9mm or 40cal if thats what I had , would I like a mill spec colt 1911 in 45acp or 38Super hell yes .

Also for me a pistol is what you carry when you don't think you are going to need it .
The 7 rd's of 45acp is not really an issue you should always carry a spare mag anyway regardless of what your chosen sidearm is .

and if you are expecting trouble bring your rifle or shotgun to the party , oh and bring some friends with you .

I guess I just learnt on the 1911 thats what I like you are entitle like what you as am I .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Handguns cartridges are pretty much all marginal stoppers, including the 45.

If a 9mm isn't up to a task, I'm not reaching for my 45ACP.

I like the 45 as much as anyone, but it's not magic. People get shot the fuck up with it and live. A hit ANYWHERE with a 45 will not drop a person, that's pure horseshit.</div></div>

You mean the .45ACP and .308win dont hunt down the target and put it down with a dirty look? Thats just disappointing.

I own a 1911 and absolutely love everything about it but I dont think its the right choice for the military to use, IMO. The few things I have concerns with is weight, I mean I carry mine but it does tend to feel a bit bulky on the hip and honestly who wants to carry a gun that heavy if you have a class II or III loadout, every ounce adds up at that point. Another issue I see is like any other all metal gun, maintenance is high and not exactly as easy as the newer polymer framed pistols to field strip (not that it takes a rocket scientist to break it down)and my other concern is round capacity, Im firm believer in good shot placement is a greater factor than knockdown power so that being said would you rather have a 7 or 8 round mag for a 1911 or a 17 rnd mag for a gun like the M&P9...I dont know might be something to think about but its simply just my opinion

I've heard a lot of reasons for why the 9mm round was adopted from the military wanted higher capacity in it's sidearms to the .45 being to harsh a round for some people to fire. The simple reason behind the switch to the 9mm round was while the military was looking for a possible replacement for the 1911 the 9mm was adopted in order to meet a compliance with a NATO standarization. On a different subject, going into all the 1911 discussion, I have used the M9 quite a bit and currently use the 1911 (both at work and at home). I love my 1911, but as one post stated it is no pistol for someone with limited experience. It just requires a greater amount of training for the basic user just to handle it safetly where as the M9 is simple and straight forward from simple breakdown and maintence to basic handling. For a standarized sidearm my vote is for the M&P.

I have 1911's, M9's, Glocks, etc....

I have shot thousands of rounds through each of them.

I have a suggestion a reasonable and one I would like to see....

Glock 20 10mm

Reasons: Ammo would be produce more and it would be cheaper for me to buy.

M&P .45acp

Great gun, reliable, easy to field strip, reliable, customizable grip to smaller/larger handed shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you guys realize why US military chose 9mm to begin with?

I don't think any of you know this... </div></div>

....so the US could expand/occupy an airfield in Italy.....

I personally think the military as a whole should just switch to the P226 and mk11. I had an old early 90's sig in iraq Issued to me and absolutely love the thing as well as a lot of other operators who had them (everyone in the unit) i will say this though, you guys will like the new .45 thats being used