• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes millet tactical scope

jlaz90

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2013
has anyone ever owned or used a millet 4-16 50mm illuminated scope. just curious as to peoples thoughts, im pretty sure the glass retails for around $500, im only asking because a guy is selling one by my house for 175. is it worth it for that price? i generally only shoot out to 700 yards but we did just clear more room out to 1100 now and just checking my options i really dont have anymore then 400 to spend since i still have to buy new rings and mount

I owned one. I gave it to my son. It still works.
The glass was surprisingly good in MY scope, though that can't be said for all.
Clicks were accurate and repeatable, but once you started getting to the upper limits of travel, the turret itself had a noticeable tilt to it.

If you are only shooting at the range (no hunting etc...) I would suggest the SWFA SS 12x. It is a Japanese made scope and far superior in every respect.
I have also had very good luck with a Falcon Menace 4-14x.

Don't fall for a scope in your price bracket with a lot of features. The more features you have, the more they have to cut corners elsewhere to meet the price point.
The fixed SS is a rock solid scope with a long history of service, they also hold value pretty well. You'll be able to resell it to move up, unlike the Millet.

I have one that was originally put on a .308 hunting rig but has since been relegated to my Ruger 10/22. Although it may retail for $500 it definitely does not compete that well for that price point. I would consider $150-$175 a fair price and should set your expectations accordingly. Biggest complaint is that at full zoom the eye relief or eye box is about 1/2 inch so you literally have to get right up to the scope, so its only good for shooting a small caliber so you don't get scope bite. Other nuisance is that the reticle is SFP mildot and turrets are 1/4 MOA.

Take this for what its worth, because my data point is exactly one..... I was at the range and a guy next to me had the Millet TRS-1 on a rifle (300WM i think but it doesn't matter). I asked to look through his scope because I was thinking about getting one at the time. I sat down behind the rifle and all I can say is it was probably THE worst glass I've seen on a scope, short of an NCStar or BSA or something. It was truly god awful for $500.

However, for $175 - it was great glass. :)

Take this for what its worth...
I looked through a guys Millet scope because he couldn't get it to zero, was the worst glass I've ever looked through. Not to mention, the turret adjustments were backwards. Up was down, right was left.... WTF

Take this for what its worth, because my data point is exactly one..... I was at the range and a guy next to me had the Millet TRS-1 on a rifle (300WM i think but it doesn't matter). I asked to look through his scope because I was thinking about getting one at the time. I sat down behind the rifle and all I can say is it was probably THE worst glass I've seen on a scope, short of an NCStar or BSA or something. It was truly god awful for $500.

However, for $175 - it was great glass. :)

Even LowLight's method of prone shooting (directly behind the rifle, rifle butt in shoulder pocket, both shoulders even/square to the firing line, forward load on the bipod) would leave 1/4" of the ocular housing buried in your forehead if one were shooting prone with that scope on full power (0.5" eye relief) while it was mounted on a 300 W/M.

First scope I ever bought. Paid 250 for it... I thought it was great at the time. Since then I have realized that the glass is not the greatest... then again it was $250.00. It currently resides on my Rock River Predator pursuit and does just fine to 300. As said before, knowing what I do now I would have gotten a fixed SS for a bit more $$.

I shot yesterday with a guy who had a SS 12X on his .308. I was able to keep the vast majority of my groups under 3/4", some even smaller, and a few larger, at 200 yds. It gave nothing up to other scopes. The glass was extremely clear and usable. He has another friend who has a farm and coyote problems. This same farm also has a 600 yard rang That was the first SS I've shot and it was very easy to get behind and stay there -- no eye fatigue. We shot for a total of 5 hours (we shot some more rifles of his and a couple of my rifles and one of my handguns -- it wasn't the SS the entire time). on it. The best part of the whole deal is we are welcome to come hunt coyotes or just punch paper whenever we feel like it.