• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Millett 4-16x50 TRS-1

SANDEDfaceless

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2008
Hey,

Does anyone have any experiance with Millet glass? I am looking to get this one from our friends at SWFA for $300.00. From everything I have read about it it looks like a great deal. I will not be shooting past 500-600 yards on a .308.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Millett 4-16x50 TRS-1

It's an OK scope. You just have to remember that getting a scope with all of those bells and whistles for that price usually means that you're sacrificing something.

It's a pig too. Really big.

Search this forum for the many comments on that scope in several threads. My experience has been very negative. You'll see my comments in detail.

I got one 3 months ago. Run about 150 rounds through it. I like it a lot. Now it's back at Millet. The reticle canted.

It is a pig. For me it's benchrest only.

I'll find out about their customer service.

I have one in my AAC-SD, only about 75 rounds through it. I am not attached to it by any means, but it is getting the job done for now and I got it on sale for around $260 I think. I'm looking to upgrade in the next year to something more in the $600 - $800 range. The TRS-1 will probably go on another rifle, as I think it is solid for it's $$$.

And yes, it is big and heavy.

I have a Millet Buck Mark 4-16 MilDot, which as far as I can tell is the same as a TRS minus the illuminated reticle and with a 56mm obj. I was thoroughly suprised by the clarity and brightness, its repeatable, and it was super affordable. I've had no durabilty issues, but only have a couple hundred .308 rounds under it so far. Eye relief sucks, its barely suffecient for a .308. The manual sucks its a generic all model job. The lense caps that came with it are garbage. The "clicks" aren't the most distinct audibly or tactily, the hash marks on the turrets don't line up perfectly to the line on the scope, but if you can feel/hear/watch the adjustments they're accurate. The paralex adj works, but there is a faint mechanical/binding sound, I won't be surprised if it eventually fails. The reticle on mine is also very thick, so shooting 1/4" groups is not its forte. I could use it as a club if I run out of ammo though, it probaby won't work right afterward but its got the mass, they are heavy, and almost comically huge. It does all I need, and was better than expected, all I wanted was something to hold me over a couple years that has mildots, and for that its fantastic, I wouldn't view a Millet as a long term investment.

Thanks for all of your input guys!!! I figure I will pick one up and use till I can afford the scope I want. I don't expect it do change my life I just need glass for my new rifle. I like all the features on this scope and for the price it is hard to beat.

Cheers!

For the money, why not get a SS10x instead? I used to use one before upgrading to a PST, and it was a great scope. I never felt limited by the fixed 10x, and I knew I could trust it to function correctly.

I had several TRS-1's (only bought one, the others were replacements) and just won a TRS2 at a match. The 4-16's I had were hunks of shit and this 10X doesn't seem to be a whole lot better but I'm going to put it through hell anyway. This scope that was hand selected by Millet and donated for the match and the illumination doesn't work on setting 4 and the windage knob doesn't line up at all. I won't comment on the rest of the scope for now as I plan on doing a thorough review and putting it up to hopefully save people some money and trouble. It's a general rule of thumb that chinese optics are junk and should be avoided and these are no different, just because they cost more than the rest of the chicom garbage doesn't make it any better.

In the same price range you have the SS10X42 as shay mentioned aswell as the Bushnell 10X and the Weaver tactical which are both mil/mil. They are a MUCH better choice.

The only one of three that I kept originally had a bad illuminator switch. It cost me shipping both ways to get Bushnell to fix it under warranty. This one is leaving town as soon as a better one arrives.

Sanded, if I were you, I'd forget about all of the tactical bells and whistles and skip the Millet. For about the same price you can get a Super Sniper 10X that is a no frills scope, but will get the job done and continue to do so.

I can complain about their CS. My TRS-2 10X I just won at a match didn't work on illumination setting 4 and then lasted 30 rounds on my AR10. My complaint about their CS is this was a match prize scope that was broken out of the box and I had to pay shipping both ways to get it fixed. They can fuck themselves it when it gets there.

any buddy of mine just bought one and when he got it one of the turrets is messed up and barley turns. he had to send it in already. also when you look at there pics of the mildot it shows just dots. my buddy got his and it is mildot/milbar.

I've had one on my Savage 10 for the past year or so. It's been a decent scope for the money. I have not had any problems to speak of as of yet. The glass is decent, and it gets the job done. I would not hesitate to buy another one for my throw down rifle. I like having a rifle and scope that I can beat the shit out of and not worry.

Millett is not chicom or made in China for those saying it is you might want to talk about things you know instead of shouting false information. Millett is American owned American made, an entity of Bushnell.

For my 2 cents I agree with most of the guys saying it isn't a long term scope but gets the job done. It take the adjustments and returns to zero. I was blown away by the size when it got here. But as I am not a comp shooter just shoot at the range and my camp for fun. I am happy with it for the money I spend, got a deal on eBay, but if I had the money at the time to get a better scope I would have.

mine was broke out of the box, didnt meet advertised elevation. i called millett/bushnell and pitched a bitch several times and they still said i had to pay shipping. i posted my issue on their facebook page and had a call tag in 3 days. they swapped out my mil/moa for a mil/mil and have been very happy with it. i just bought the fixed 10x for 220 shipped on ebay. that will go on my 308AR. i hear people say super sniper. they may not realize the millett is a mil/mil where the SS is mil/moa. if they had a mil/mil 10x, id try it, but the one 10x SS i had wasnt very impressive. i sold it before i even shot behind it, it was just poor quality for all the hype. the milletts are solid and have decent features for the money. great CS at bushnell in my case after it was all said and done. plus its one of the few low dollar mil/mil choices thats not just a 10x.

the bushnell 3200 from midway or the weaver 3.5-10 from midway are the only other sub $300 mil/mil scopes i can think of. and now they have a $400ish vortex in mil/mil that i would consider over the millett. and then there is falcon. thats about it i think under the 400-500 mark unless something came out lately?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yulee Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Millett is not chicom or made in China for those saying it is you might want to talk about things you know instead of shouting false information. Millett is American owned American made, an entity of Bushnell. </div></div>

http://www.millettsights.com/global/about-us/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Tom recognized the future in optics, and in 1999 added red dot sights from Japan to the Millett line of products. Tom later went to China to develop a line of riflescopes to be sold under the Millett name. </div></div>

its chicom, made in China for a company in the USA. It's a decent starter scope, but thats it.