• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Millett 4-16x50 vs Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

dannydifalco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
New York
I know similar questions were asked on this subject but i have not found a definite answer. I am mounting this on top of a Remington 700 sps tactical in .308. I currently have a nikon 3-9x40 and thats not enough zoom for me. I only have $300 to spend on a scope. I would love a mark4 or a nightforce but they are just too much $$$. So the two top choices are the

Millett 4-16x50
http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/trs/
PRO
-Illumination
-locking zero
-50mm lens
-$50 cheaper
CON
-Made in china???
-Warranty isnt too good.
-not waterproof or drop proof?

Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 ($50 more)
http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/buckmaters/6-18x40_Side_Focus_BDC_RETICLE/6473
PRO
-Great lens
-better background
-lifetime warranty
-2x more zoom
-waterproof
CON
-More of a hunting scope not as tactical
-no illumination
-$50 more
-no locking zero

Re: Millett 4-16x50 vs Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

I said Nikon because I have the Buck master 4.5x14x40 with mil dot and love it. I wish I would have waited and just got the 18x Because so far I have always wanted a little more magnification. Although I have never tried millet I did look at them and went with the Nikon because I've never had problems with them.

Also maybe check this out Vortex 6.5-20x44
Had I done more research before I bought my Nikon I am quite sure I would have bought this! It's only a few more bucks, and has good reviews

Good luck!

i like my millett. as for warranty, its life time, no questions or was when i bought mine. i bought the trs-1 in moa/moa and it didnt meet the advertised travel for elevation. i mailed it back and got one in mil/mil that did meet the travel with 25 mils

later i bought a dms-1-4x here used. it had a stiff zoom. i sent it in and they sent me a NIB dms replacement with silky smooth zoom.

not sure about water proof? did you mean submersible? and drop proof? not sure of that standard. ive seen zeiss test scopes with a mallet and a whack on the end and body. but with that warranty you can treat it rough and see when it fails

Nice. Good to hear about the warranty! Also Yea the Nikon says its water proof, shock proof and fog proof. How long have you had your Millett? Ive only seen one that someone bought for a M1A.

Well i just ordered the millett from amazon. So i know if i dont like it i can return it no questions asked! Ill be sure to post back on it here.

since i joined. low rounds still. did you get mil/moa or mil/mil?

alright so i received the scope. Its decent, haven't shot with it though. I don't feel the quality it as good though. The lens is very clear comparable to Nikon. But you can see the inside of the tube like a cheap bushnell. Might return not sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danny616</div><div class="ubbcode-body">alright so i received the scope. Its decent, haven't shot with it though. I don't feel the quality it as good though. The lens is very clear comparable to Nikon. But you can see the inside of the tube like a cheap bushnell. Might return not sure.</div></div>
Danny you are talking about the millett TRS correct if so what is the glass like I'm trying to decide my self today if i want to go with the millett lrs 6-24x56 with Ill rec or the vortex 6.5-20x44mm or 50mm.

I honestly believe for the $300 i spent this is the best scope you can get!. The scopes lens is very clear. Not much different then my buckmaster.