• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Millett LRS or Vortex Crossfire

Tempest 455

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2012
Middle TN
I have read as much as possible on the forums and still have not come to a decision. I'm considering both the Millett 6-25x56 and the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50. Initially will be for a 600 yard application but my son really wants to try the 1,000 yard F class.

Between the two, anyone have some opinions?

Re: Millett LRS or Vortex Crossfire

Vortex makes great scopes, but their low end (like crossfire) seem to have more issues. I have had 2 of them and they worked fine, but several people have had issues with them. I would go with the Millet between the two. I have used a Mueller for over a year and it does the job as well, they have great warranty and customer service. I have returned one before and it was a fast turnaround with EXCELLENT service.

I would spend a little more and get a better scope, especially considering your son might shoot longer range. I shoot out past 600 with a 14x and it does fine, but I prefer something closer to 20-24 if possible.

I have several Nikons and love them, they also have longer eye relief. Also, the vortex viper is a special buy right now at $279 from cameraland, I bought one and it is good (it has 3" eye relief which is fine for most rifles but i prefer 4").
A used nikon buckmaster is usually around 200-225 range.

I have a millett lrs and i have to say i am extremely happy with it. I hear they have qc issues but bushnell will take care of you if you get a dud.

Two complaints which shouldn't be an issue at this price point.

There is a slight fuzziness above 18x which i think should be expected at this price point. It is hardly noticeable and the scope is still very usable at these magnifications. I have seem high emd zeiss scopes which looked even worse at high magnifications.

There is an extremely small low light sweet spot which completely disappears when there is even a strong moonlit night.

The supplied rings are too tall unless mounting on a flattop ar. They definitely need to be replaced and decent 35mm scope rings are $120 plus - something to consider if you don't have an adjustable comb with a lot of travel.

Crossfires were known to have some issues, but I think they have that resolved?? I have Crossfires and have had no problems with either. I also have the PST and the standard Viper. In your budget if you could swing the Viper I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Vortex is some of the best CS in the industry! The only two things they will not cover is theft and loss. Other then that your covered. Just my .02 cents. Good luck!!