• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Millett scopes

dyna962007

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2012
STL MO area
Hi, I'm brand new to this forum and brand new to long range shooting.
I just bought a Remington 700 5r 26" barrel.
I just happened upon a brand new scope my MIllett.
Its a 6 x 25 x 56mm, 35mm tube, illuminated reticle.
This scope appears to be very well made.
I'd like some input from anyone who is familiar with this scope please. mike

Re: Millett scopes

I had a Millet once. While I had no issues with tracking/holding zero the glass clarity wasn't the best, about what you'd expect in that price range.Remember that they're chinese made......now for about the same money I'd look at Nikon or Bushnell. Try to budget about $4-500 it's about the minimum you need to spend to get decent glass and a rifle like that DESERVES something good, especially if you want to get serious with it. Look for maybe something used in the classified section and get even more value. Good luck!

I have a millet DMS 1-4, while price was great glass isn't the best and I got what I paid for, now, it tracks fine and there is no problem with it for 3 gun matches.
it is a decent starter scope for the money but if you want better quality pay a little more.

I have 2 Millets, one is the exact scope you are looking at. First, it is actually the size of a baseball bat. It's huge! I bought it for a cheap standby for a 50BMG. I'm not a glass snob by any means and the scope has tracked correctly. It has done everything I could ask for $400.

I have an older 4-16 Buck Gold on my Savage 22-250. It has been good to me. While looking at Millet scopes, I would do the 4-16 TRS-1 which is a little smaller.

If it were my 5r though, I would keep an eye out for a deal on a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 or 6-24 SFP for a few hundred more.

This was a great evaluation by hrfunk. Well worth the read.

well I did buy the MIllett LRS 35mm tube 6-25x56mm.
I forgot to subscribe to this thread and didnt know there were responses, I know what a DA.
But I have to say its an impressive scope.
So far I see nothing fuzzy at long ranges exceeding 600 yards, so far so good.
They SAY the new Millett products are built to a different standard, who knows if that is hype.
But I'm anxious to ready that comaprison earlier in this thread.
thanks, guys, mike

I also have a Millett DMS-1 and while I like the scope and reticle it's on a short barrel M4. On a rifle like the 5R I would also look for a Vortex PST 4-16X50 FFP or the PST 6-24X50 FFP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dyna962007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well I did buy the MIllett LRS 35mm tube 6-25x56mm.
I forgot to subscribe to this thread and didnt know there were responses, I know what a DA.
But I have to say its an impressive scope.
So far I see nothing fuzzy at long ranges exceeding 600 yards, so far so good.
They SAY the new Millett products are built to a different standard, who knows if that is hype.
But I'm anxious to ready that comaprison earlier in this thread.
thanks, guys, mike </div></div>

Yeah Bushnell bought them out a few years back, after some transitional issues the quality alledgedly improved, I have no experience with the pre/early Bushnell ones, but stories abound.

My 4-16 has been good and trouble free, importantly it got me shooting far earlier than I would've been if I held out until I felt comfortable dropping $1k+ on an optic, an upgrade is on the agenda but its pretty low on the list, it'll get bumped way up if the millet fails. I accepted up front that it likely won't last forever and it won't likely be worth reselling. At this point in my life, not shooting comps or life and death "good enough" will do. That's just me.

I bought a Millet Lrs for my first scope. It tracked great for about three months and then the cheap plastic part that marks your zero and how many turns up fell off.

Good scope for the money but in the long run its probably going to let you down at some point. The cs was great and sent me out a new one within a few weeks.

Chief, I'd like to know what you think of that scope once you start working with it. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you like.

Thanks,
HRF

I have a 4-16X56 Buck Gold. It has served a number of purposes, but is currently my floater scope that I use for testing/misc. It has never seen heavy use, but has worked well so far. I have it mounted right now on an un-braked 338 WM that it is doing fine on. It has better than average glass for the price (to my eyes), but adjustments are somewhat mushy and it has 1/8 MOA clicks (!). It did a tour on an AR I had, and there are a lot less prairie dogs in a certain part of the world because of it. I would not trust my life to it by any means - there are a lot of other scopes out there that are far more durable/reliable, (and also more expensive). Mine is still working well for what I use it for. I think as long as ones expectations are in line with what the scope actually is, and what you can actually get in this price range, you will probably do fine with one. If you want something you can rip off your rifle and pound tent pegs into frozen tundra with only to reattach with no POI shift, well that is probably not a realistic expectation with this line of scopes...

My post-bushnell Millet went back for repair several times for unrelated issues in 5 months of ownership. Finally I got my money back and swore off cheap, unproven optics.

It's going to be huge on a remington 700. I have that one on a .408ct and the 4x16 on a .338lm. I think they are great scopes, especially for the money. I don't know if they are pre or post bushnell, but have been trouble free and rock solid.

I can only vouch for the LRS 8004, I currently have four in use on everyting from 223 to 338 Lapua. These scopes have never lost zero or failed to return to zero, the glass is clear all the way through the magnificaton range. No it's not a NF but it does not pretend to be. Out of the 4 scopes, I had one problem loseing 1/2 of the adjustment on a zoom ring, this was on a 308. Millit promptly sent me a new scope within 10 days.

Diego

will do buddy,
I have not shot with it yet but done a lot of looking through the glass at some very long distances.
I am amazed at the clarity and how bright it is.
I dont see any indication of cloudiness or darkness.
But I'll let you know once I've abused it, LOL
'
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hrfunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chief, I'd like to know what you think of that scope once you start working with it. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you like.

Thanks,
HRF </div></div>