• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Millette Scopes

JustSqueeze.223

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
California
Can anyone give their opinion on the Millette TRS 1 tactical rifle scope mil dot 4x16x50. Either from experience or from knowing someone who owned one. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Re: Millette Scopes

If you break the glass out of them with a hammer you can make a pretty cool looking lamp , as long as no one looks too closely at it .

do you have first hand experience and please explain why you are indifferent towards that scope?? Just trying to get a feel on people think of em. Peace

I have looked through several of them and had several pards that rather than take my advice went ahead and bought one anyways . When I told them the lamp trick at least one of them decided it was a better route to go than actually leaving it on his rifle .

They are cheap though .

I've had 3 or 4 of them and I still have one. I've never had any problems with any of them. I don't think the glass is bad at all for the price. All of mine have functioned exactly as they should have so I have no complaints at all. All of mine were made before Millett was taken over by Bushnell so I can't comment on the quality of the newer models.

I have one and it works fine for the money, it tracks pretty good as well. I also have their LRS version and again very decent for the money. I have not used this for hunting or rolling around in the mud just target shooting from a table so I can't tell you how they would hold up in those conditions. But all in all the glass is clear and bright and has been great so far. If you look in my Signiture, I currently have it on my remmy.

I used to have one. For the money they are pretty good scopes. Glass was of course not as good as my bushnell 4200, sightron SIII, or my US Optics but it was better than the 3 super snipers that I had when I did a side by side comparison. One thing to note as well, the field of view was huge on mine. The one I had had 1/8" adjustments. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Gene

I have one, and 'you get what you pay for' doesn't really hold true on this scope, and not in a good way. By that, I mean I also have a cheapo Osprey Intl. scope with essentially the same features('tactical' turrets, illuminated reticle, 4-16X50, side focus, etc.)and is $100 less, or even less(there are different versions of the osprey line, even though they retain the same part number - the cheaper versions have cheaper glass, maybe even plastic 'glass'). And so far, while neither scope is all that great, I like the Osprey better. I think its adjustments are more accurate, and the illuminated reticle is much better with hardly any bleed. On the millet, the illuminated reticle bleed into the glass to the point it renders the function useless.
IMO, save your money and, as the ol' saying goes "cry once" and get a scope that is proven, and of better quality. For an extra couple hundred bucks there are plenty of nice used scopes out there. Believe me, I wish I would have heeded my own advice...

Ahhh ... good to know. Thanks all. Was about to buy one for my scout rifle. Will take a closer look at the Elite 3200 3-15x.

i got time behind my new Millett TRS 1 this weekend and I am very impressed. The glass is very clear out to 16x. not sure the first few bashing it, makes me think they either had a super old one or are just guessing.

for a low price scope you cannot go wrong. The glass is clearer then all of my Bushnells.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FedsCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's like looking through a Coke bottle with a reticle drawn on the bottom with them. </div></div>
Have you actually looked through one?
Probably not.
Are they inexpensive scopes? Yes.
Do you get alot for what you pay? Again, yes.

I have one, the glass is clear, the adjustments sharp and reapeatable.
It compares very favorably with my Falcon menace 4-14. As a matter of fact, the adjustments are superior on the Millet. Crisp, tactile feel to the adjustments and the locking ability is a big plus.

Are they the equivalent of a Bushnell 4200, Nikon Monarch, or SS 3-9 FFp? No. But they are much cheaper and they do, in fact offer a great deal for the price of 300 dollars.

There is a GREAT deal of very good information on this forum, but you will usually get derogatory responses to any query about budget glass, some of it deserved, some of it merely attributable to optics snobbery.

Are the TRS-1 scopes perfect? Absolutely not, they have had issues with QC, I might have gotten lucky, I have had exactly zero issues with mine. Others have not been so lucky, but their CS WILL take care of you.

Can you buy a better scope? Sure. Can you buy a better scope for 300 dollars? Unlikely. Although the Nikon buckmaster deserves a good look, but lacks elevation adjustment. The new Gen 4 WOTAC's are getting a pretty good write up and Matt Wonders is a top notch guy.

Thanks too all who contributed to the info. Im a first time shooter that wants a basic scope not too expensive but not too Cheap either. I think I will get one and then maybe step up to a better scope when I learn the in's n out's of using glass. Can any one help with the issue of BDC compared to Mill dot???

I own one, and the newest generation is much improved over the older ones. There are four distinct generations of the Millett TRS-1, the first two were a big learning curve for Millett, and the third was an improvement but still had some qc issues. The fourth gen seems to be much improved now that Bushnell bought Millett, and the QC seems to be better as well.

The old ones had a lot of QC issues, and notably worse glass than the current ones. The new Gen4 Millett's also come in a mil/mil reticle and knobs, which is what I got.

Everything works as it should, the glass is okay but nothing stellar, my Nikon Buckmasters has better glass than this, but the Fullfield II is on par with it. I also think its glass is about equal to my Bushnell 3200, but most people seem to disagree. Maybe my 3200 is a bad one, but they look the same to me at 10x. I wouldn't say its at all like a coke bottle with reticle.

For my money, if I were going to go with a less expensive scope like that again, I'd get another Mueller APT. I have one of those and prefer it to the millett. It's lower cost, lighter, has more elevation adjustment, and everything just works on it. The APT does not have mil/mil though if that's important to you.

Many people on here will recommend saving up and buying a good scope once. It's not bad advice, if you get a Millett you will probably wind up upgrading it sometime in the future. I like trying out lots of different scopes to see what I really like, and once I find out what that is I'll probably go for a customized US Optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FedsCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's like looking through a Coke bottle with a reticle drawn on the bottom with them. </div></div>
Have you actually looked through one?
Probably not.
Are they inexpensive scopes? Yes.
Do you get alot for what you pay? Again, yes.

I have one, the glass is clear, the adjustments sharp and reapeatable.
It compares very favorably with my Falcon menace 4-14. As a matter of fact, the adjustments are superior on the Millet. Crisp, tactile feel to the adjustments and the locking ability is a big plus.

Are they the equivalent of a Bushnell 4200, Nikon Monarch, or SS 3-9 FFp? No. But they are much cheaper and they do, in fact offer a great deal for the price of 300 dollars.

There is a GREAT deal of very good information on this forum, but you will usually get derogatory responses to any query about budget glass, some of it deserved, some of it merely attributable to optics snobbery.

Are the TRS-1 scopes perfect? Absolutely not, they have had issues with QC, I might have gotten lucky, I have had exactly zero issues with mine. Others have not been so lucky, but their CS WILL take care of you.

Can you buy a better scope? Sure. Can you buy a better scope for 300 dollars? Unlikely. Although the Nikon buckmaster deserves a good look, but lacks elevation adjustment. The new Gen 4 WOTAC's are getting a pretty good write up and Matt Wonders is a top notch guy. </div></div>

Actually never judge someone by the amount of post counts. (Not to say you are,but that comes from most sites)

I have earned my living behind a rifle for many,many years untill I seperated in 07' and went into the private field.

The ones i have looked through didn't appeal to me at all. Have I owned one,no. But I have looked down a few atop others rifles,and whether they be old or what,I found them to be lacking.The thing about asking a question on a forum with thousands of memebrs,is that you will receive that many different answers.YMMV from anyone of those.This is just mine.
I am also not of the belief that one has to spend a ton of money to get a good scope. I have made shots with friends further and with more accuracy with an old model 70 and a cheap Leupold than they did with set ups costing into the mid thousands.Good glass is nice,and fullfills a role,but it is only as good as the person behind it.

Sorry for the rambling,my mind tends to wonder sometimes.

To give the impression that the scope is that bad isnt helping the poster. You made it out to be that he should get a tasco since the millett is so bad. That isnt even 1/4 accurate.

If you post something the way you did dont you think its best to follow it up with more detail?

regardless, ill get some through the scope pictures tomorrow. the Millett is a very good scope for the money.

Very true. Forgive the lack of information. I am just from the school that if something is bad once,it will always be so. Glad to hear people like them and have positive results from them.I didn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one and it works fine for the money, it tracks pretty good as well. I also have their LRS version and again very decent for the money. I have not used this for hunting or rolling around in the mud just target shooting from a table so I can't tell you how they would hold up in those conditions. But all in all the glass is clear and bright and has been great so far. If you look in my Signiture, I currently have it on my remmy. </div></div>

Please clairify on tracks pretty good???
imo it either does or it dont no in between.....

Ive run the box drill with mine, and it worked flawlessly. that was at 100 yards right after zero. 232 rounds later, it tracks perfect and has never lost its zero. and as of two weeks ago, i shot at 400 yds and 600 yds and its clear enough glass i can see .308 holes on 10x magnification on a Black US Army std issue silhouette target at 400yds.

Its been a great scope for the money. is it on par with high end scopes? no. is it in the same league quality wise with a bushnell 3200 or a wotac or super sniper? yeah, and a little cheaper than those with nice features. i have a gen 4 with 1/4 IPHY adjustments. i like it. and the illuminated reticle works awesome too. only complaint i have is the magnification ring is really stiff. that is my one and only complaint. been good to go and works great from the start. bought mine from SWFA.

Paulus

Night Pics with my Millett

The building is 3.6 miles away line of sight.

It's hard to judge, and getting the camera lined up the same to compare other scopes is rough. Looking through all the ones I have, the Millett is 2nd best in terms of brightness and clarity, behind my Nikon. I don't have any top end optics to compare against though. It definitely appears better than my fixed 10x Bushnell 3200 when they are both on 10x.

Here's the scene:

millett_fullframe.jpg

Here's through the scope, at 16x

millet_16x.jpg

The illuminated reticle is pretty nice too, it can be turned pretty far down on the newer models. The light screws with the camera exposure even on NV mode though and I couldn't get it to photograph.

on NV mode, its very faint and the crosshairs remain very fine. its bright enough on 2 or 3 you can see it very well, and even though it goes up to 10 in brightness, ive never ever needed to go past 2 or 3.

Paulus

I purchased mine just last december from SWFA. I assume it is their latest version. It has 1/4 MOA adjustments - it is not mil/mil. When did they come out with mil/mil? The illuminated reticle bleeds like crazy. basically useless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one and it works fine for the money, it tracks pretty good as well. I also have their LRS version and again very decent for the money. I have not used this for hunting or rolling around in the mud just target shooting from a table so I can't tell you how they would hold up in those conditions. But all in all the glass is clear and bright and has been great so far. If you look in my Signiture, I currently have it on my remmy. </div></div>

Please clairify on tracks pretty good???
imo it either does or it dont no in between..... </div></div> Sorry I meant good.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased mine just last december from SWFA. I assume it is their latest version. It has 1/4 MOA adjustments - it is not mil/mil. When did they come out with mil/mil? The illuminated reticle bleeds like crazy. basically useless. </div></div>

Does your IR have a night vision mode marked on it? I *think* that is the newest version if it does. The mil/mil just came out pretty recently, SWFA has them in stock as of a couple weeks ago.

Big River Tactical has em in stock with the Mil/Mil turrets too.

Paulus

I have TRS-1 with 1/4" adjustments and I think they are the best bang for the buck. With a question like that you will get a wide range of answers as so has, the same like question which has been asked before you including myself.

To be straight and to the point, a scope with as many features that this scope offers, for around 300 bucks is hard to beat.

Are there better scopes out there than the Millet? Yes, plenty but get ready to also pay plenty.

Can you run it over with a truck without damaging it? I would not try it nor do I expect my scope to get ran over either.

Have there been issues with Millet? Yes, but so has the top of the line optics. I have not researched the error margin to units sold but I didn't really cared, since after all it is a $300 dollar scope with a lifetime warranty.

Just remember the basics. "You get what you pay for" but be sure that you know what you are looking for and what use you're going to give it.

I'm not L.E., Military nor does my job and life depend on a scope, it is just for recreational purpose only (or shooting paper as some like to call it). Otherwise I would probably work like a mule to get a top of the line optic.

I will not lie when I tell you that I was very skepticle when I bough the Millet due to the mixed feelings and reputation that people have expressed but I figured if worst comes to worst, I could have it repaired/replaced and the sell it taking a minimal hit.

I conducted a box test at 100yds with the TRS-1 and my Remi 700 XCR Tactical in .308, spitting out Black Hills Gold, 168gr. Ballistic Tip Hornady A-Max @ 2650fps. Shooting conditions were not ideal with a 10 to 15MPH R to L crosswinds but I was eiger to find out how this scope would do.

Remi700XCR007b.jpg

As you can see below my point of aim and starting point “A” actually went well with a sub MOA group, .47” to be exact in comparison to my practice shots (in the center). My second group on “B” it opened up a bit, about an inch but on mark. Third group on “C” was a sub MOA group but off mark to the left. Fourth group on “D” was just plain horrible, showing flyers with a 1.21” group and then everything fell back into place with a .53” group, bringing the turrets back to zero and aiming between "A" & "D" (superinposed in blue). Each transition from letter to letter was exactly 40 clicks which were crisp and even though this box drill was not optimal since the full capability/cliks of the scope were not excercised, I think it still served my purpose.

RangeDay2-3-10009b.jpg

Good luck with your search.
Max

Well thanks all, even the "coke bottle DUDE" hahaha. Well just purchased one through US Armorment for about 298.00. I'll be heading out to an indoor 100 yd range to zero it at a 100 with no outside effects. Then on to the outdoor range to see what happens. A big thanks to all who contributed to this topic. Wasn't expecting this much of info or debate here but I am very impressed by this forum glad I joined.

Has anyone had problems with this scope not holding zero?
Curious, because I am having a hard time getting groups, period on my savage .308 10fcp-k, and am trying to find out if it is the scope, the ammo, the gun, or just plain ol' me.
This is the second gun the scope has been on, and I couldn't get a group with the other gun, either. However, the shooter is still the same and so is the ammo, PMC factory 147grainers.
I have been told that I need heavier, match grade ammo to realize the accuracy of the savage, and I am sure it would help. However, I am currently barely able to put all the bullets through the same 8.5X11 sheet of paper at 200 yards!!! I find it hard to believe that different ammo would make that much difference, which is why I question the scope...
Of course, I wouldn't put it past the shooter, as I am a bit of a novice, but I can put 15 holes through paper with my .223 700 at 200 yards, starting with the cold bore shot, and cover them all with a clay disc, and also using PMC factory ammo.

it can be your rings also i has trouble with a vortex crossfire like you are having and replacing the rings with some nice rings solved the issue hope this helps......

They are warne steel rings on an EGW 20MOA base. I didn't take a torque wrench to them - they are just goodntight. what is the recommended torque value for those screws? 15-20 lb/in.?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone had problems with this scope not holding zero?</div></div>

Not on mine, but before you get to this conclusion you will need to take care of the other variables like:
Installation
Hardware
Ammo
&
A clean bore

Hope this helps...

i have 2 lrs-1's. granted, as stated before, its not a uso or s&b but for the money its not bad. decent glass, decent clicks, holds and repeats zero will. my only complaint is the size and weight of the lrs-1's. they are freakin huge

try shooting some federal 150 SP rounds .......
in my remy 700 SPS 10" twist rate they do .500 MOA or try some 175 gr SMK rounds and see how they do... also check your barrel for copper fouling and try and check the tracking on you scope to see if it tracks good.

Thanks. I have some Hornady Match 168grainers, but with only 50 rounds through the rifle, I don't want to waste $1.25/round to break in a barrel. After another 100 rounds or so I'll try the federal 150's and my hornadys...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M@D-M@X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone had problems with this scope not holding zero?</div></div>

Not on mine, but before you get to this conclusion you will need to take care of the other variables like:
Installation
Hardware
Ammo
&
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">A clean bore</span></span>

Hope this helps... </div></div>

A clean bore is not more accurate or consistent. Just sayin'.

i bought my first TRS-1 mil/moa and was totally happy with it. then i joined this site and started to learn. when i went to check the elevation, it didnt meet advertised spec. after a few calls to bushnell, i got a UPS label and sent it back. i requested a mil/mil should they need to replace it. they sent the mil/mil back after having the techs give it the once over.

i would suggest using search with millett as a keyword as there were 5-6 millett threads going back when i was having issues with mine. the designer is a member here as well. he has been helpful with advice and facts. i can say that bushnell will take good care of you.

most places dont list the different versions, so you have to look around if you want a mil/mil.

good luck, i think you will be ok with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the second gun the scope has been on, and I couldn't get a group with the other gun, either. However, the shooter is still the same and so is the ammo, <span style="font-weight: bold">PMC factory 147grainers</span>.</div></div>

I think I have found your problem.
laugh.gif

I have shot a lot of 147gr PMC BTFMJ and I'm telling ya for certain ... it is all over the map. The first four or five boxes I bought it shot almost as accurate as some of my 168gr BTHP. I was happy as a pig in shit. Then the second and third batch I bought wouldn't come close to shooting as well as Silver Bear SPs. It was horrid. I have a target somewhere printing 300 yard groups and the Georgia Arms BTHP grouped 3.25" while the outer ring of PMC BTFMJ ran 6 inches plus. The next batch may shoot inside the Georgia Arms match ammo. Who knows. PMC FMJBT is crap. period. And this is coming from a cheapskate shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A clean bore is not more accurate or consistent. Just sayin'. </div></div>

No shit...

Some old man at the range I go to, which seems to know what he's talking about told me that copper fouling will cause inconsistencies on your groupings.

Thx. for the clarification.

Just curious not trying to hijack. I have a TRS-1 on my 308 and have good tracking with it out to 500 yds. It was not until very recent I have been able to stretch it's legs out to 1k. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this scope at that yardage and if they had any problems?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. I have some Hornady Match 168grainers, but with only 50 rounds through the rifle, I don't want to waste $1.25/round to break in a barrel. After another 100 rounds or so I'll try the federal 150's and my hornadys... </div></div>
So it's not the scope!!!
went back to the range and back down to 100 yards. Started off with the PMC to warm myself and the barrel up. Sure enough, the 15 rounds I put down range looked like a 5-6" shotgun blast - none of which were in the bullseye.
Then onto the Hornadys. I aimed 4" higher to put the group away from the cluster and, wouldn't you know it, the heavier bullets dropped 4" more, putting a bullet right in the bullseye. Followed it up with 2 more at the same POA and ended up with my first sub-moa group with this rifle. So I sighted the scope in for this ammo and shot a near 1/2MOA group and a couple more 1ish MOA groups. So I would say the scope is holding zero fine.
The 1/4MOA clicks seemed fairly accurate when sighting in, too. I did 16 clicks of up for the 4 inches and ended up about where I wanted.
So my only gripes about this scope now are the illuminated reticle sucks and the glass could definitely be better, but isn't bad for the price...

I have a TRS -1 had it for a few months put maybe 100 rnds through it no problems.

I've got about 70 rds of 300 Remington S.A. Ultra Mag under mine. So far, holding zero,tracks well, and glass is clear enough to see .30 hits at 300 yds on 16x. I'm happy with my TRS-1.

Here, you can see why I was frustrated and why I started questioning the scope. These are all PMC 147g, EXCEPT, ironically, the three holes in the ullseye(that was my first 3-round group with the hornady ammo). All shots fired from the same POA:
PMCfliers.jpg

That's like a 5" group at 100 yards - not good!

A closer pic of the first group of the Hornady 168g match. Interestingly, I was aiming 4" higher than where the bullets impacted, so it's just coincidence that they landed in the bullseye...
firsthornady.jpg

Looks like about a 1" group.

And here is the best group, around 1/2MOA - not bad considering I'm a novice, shooting off a bipod, and using my left hand to control elevation:
besthornady.jpg

Bottom line, the scope seems to hold zero just fine. I will gladly admit I was wrong...time to start reloading!

I've never used that particular ammo, but I have had accuracy (or inconsistency)issues with PMC in general. I will use it for high volume practice with my AR or .45, where my goal is putting hits on target fast, but when I'm looking for the best accuracy. I've found that, like with most other things, you get what you pay for.

i have one on a 24" heavy barrelled AR and find it works fine. off bags out to 200yds it shoots hornady V-max bullets to 2 1/4" which is all i expect out the that particular set up. the reticle is satisfactory but i think lacking in low light conditions. i think it's an average new scope for that price point. (not sure i'd buy another scope at that price point) but it works and if you buy a used one for a little less cash it becomes a decent bargain.