• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Milwaukee vs DeWalt?

You guys need the hole hawg. We drill 2 9/16" holes with the dewalt version and they make easy work out of it.
We have a huge corded drill so the boss won’t approve the purchase and we don’t feel like pulling out the generator since it trips the breaker in the inverters. If we’re doing a lot of holes, we just use the hydraulics. The beast just collects dust and the little guy gets the job done most of the time otherwise.

Late to the party but I vote Milwaukee. IVe ot the older 28 volt stuff. The drill will break your wrist if it hits a piece of steel and the reciprocating saw will tear a new asshole in anything. The newer batteries really last.

a few thoughts- for the DIY weekend family- consider the Home Depot branded Ridgid tool

Why Ridgid - if you register them when you buy them- free warrenty on tools and battery
WHAT DOES THE LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT COVER?

Your power tool is covered if it breaks due to normal wear and tear, as long as it's been properly maintained and used correctly. Ridgid will replace your damaged tool or parts including brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries.
-

Dewalt vs Milwaukee
It's kinda a Bud vs Miller Debate..

The debate should be- Can I afford and need a brushless tool set?

Brushless tools use about 50% less battery or will give you about double the work of the older brush sets...

Many Brushless sets are FRAUD- the set will have 1 brushless tool and the rest have brushes...

Example

20-Volt MAX XR Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Combo Kit (6-Tool) w/ Hammer Drill, (2) Batteries 5.0Ah, Charger and Bag

** This set only includes 2 brushless tools.... only 2 are brushless **
the description is below-
  • Brushless 3-Speed Hammer Drill & Brushless Impact Driver
  • Brushless motor maximizes runtime and durability
  • Includes Circular & Reciprocating Saws, Oscillating Tool & Bag ( brush tools)

For $500 (10% off with DD214) you get a decent value

These videos are NOT scientific- Batteries get hot under use- the battery need to be cool in order to recharge.
After recharge, it should also be cool before use.

So how will you use the tools? Do you work with animals who abuse tools? If yes- get a different brand so they don't steal your batteries.... Do projects with parents or your kids- buy the same brand to share chargers....

I use Hilti and Milwaukee at my part time gig, for home I have Rigid. I think the rigid stuff is good to go, I would put it head to head with Milwaukee. Hilti has a bit more ass but I don't think it's necessary for home use.

Reactions: Bullfrog08
We're running Milwaukee fuel pretty much every day on a construction/erection crew. Probably got at least thirty tools ranging from circular saws to hole hawgs to laser measuring devices. They get abused daily and have treated us well.

There's usually one or two tools laying around waiting for parts or reassembly...on the ones that don't have warranty we get the parts and fix them ourselves.

My only complaint about Milwaukee is their marketing...you gotta be real careful of the kits they sell and the sales. Usually if the price seems to good to be true...it probably is.

Their small tools like laser measuring device and laser thermometer are complete shit tho. Don't buy Milwaukee if it uses anything other then a cord, a M18 or a M12 battery.

Reactions: Pre-64
I use mine professionally and buy them myself, and my experience is inline with @gunjunkie45 .

Pretty much every contractor I work around uses DeWalt, but I spent my hard-earned $ thousands on Milwaukee, having had great luck with their (older) corded tools. Part of this was for my own sanity, having watched 5 guys argue at the end of every day about who's yellow battery/charger/impact driver/etc was whose. I know that if I see a red tool or battery it's pretty much going to be mine. Also, back before the DeWalt 20v and flex volt stuff, I felt like Milwaukee's cordless stuff had better torque and run time than the 18v DeWalt.

DeWalt's 20v stuff blows Milwaukee out of the water in performance and run time. On several occasions I have had to borrow a DeWalt because my Milwaukee wouldn't push an auger bit through marine-grade timber (which is embarrassing as hell) and the DeWalt didn't even hesitate. A DeWalt cordless grinder will run about 10 times longer on a standard battery than my Milwaukee will on a 5aHr "high performance" battery (or whatever they call them). I've even used a 12aHr battery and the DeWalt still ran longer. Driving thousands of self-tapping screws through structural steel my Milwaukee will get hot as hell while the DeWalts stay cool.

Cost of DeWalt battery packs are comically cheaper and more available than Milwaukee, and their new 64v flex batteries that allow you to push a damn miter saw or table saw are just ridiculous. Add to this there are DeWalt service centers all over the place that will repair a tool and get it back to you in a few days for about $75 vs usually having to send off a Milwaukee and maybe getting back in weeks.

I haven't used the new Makita stuff, but have heard generally good things, albeit not on the pro side.

When I look at the money I have tied up in Red tools, vs what the yellow versions that outperform them would have cost I get irritated. When these tools die, they're being replaced with DeWalt, and I was a huge Milwaukee fan boy for a long time.

I would stay away from rigid, they seem to try every which way to NOT honor their warranty. Could be the Home Depot near me. I use cordless tools daily, each company has good/not so good tools in their lineup. I completely understand the universal battery idea, however I have my favorites from Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt & Bosch. I prefer corded for some things, cordless for others. Whatever gets the job done. I've let the magic smoke outta all of them at one time or another. Buy the color that suits you and rock on.

Reactions: Stevo86
Milwaukee all day every day

1st world problems....the new Dewalts charge damn quick. We run both Makita and Dewalt at work, albeit for light duty and cordless-both run fine and are idiot proof.
Corded products like saws and sanders- Porter Cable

If you don't know who AvE is on YouTube, go look him up. He does tool reviews like nobody else. He will tear apart anything from Harbor Freight junk up to Festool level tools. Plus he is very entertaining. You can thank me later.

I used to have all Bosch cordless tools, they're ok. I did manage to bust the Bosch hammer drill I had, replaced it with a Rigid brushless 18v hammer drill. it has more torque than my Bosch, and is smaller and lighter, I like it.

All my corded tools, I've got a mix of Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Makita. Been happy with all of them.

Porter Cable used to be some really nice stuff, but I do believe that they went down in quality after Black & Decker bought them. Seems like Black & Decker then phased out their own "Firestorm" tool line, and replaced it with newer Porter Cable tools at the same price point.

+ 1 for Milwaukee
I've been extremely happy with Milwaukee M18 Fuel. I bought two brushless 1/2 hammer drill/drivers from pawn shops. One was practically new. Both still work flawlessly after several years. I have a Sawzall I bought used as well. I have a 16" chainsaw I keep in the Jeep.

Have Milwaukee and like it a lot, but hear that makita is best but no personal experience. My Milwaukee m18 stuff works well for me as a homeowner and car guy. The m12 power socket wrench thing is worth it’s weight in gold if you do any mechanic work

Oh and there’s this
C8916764-18EF-4A38-8180-5724CAAE373D.png

Most big name tool lines are pretty good these days. Grew up with Milwaukee when they were solid aluminum bodies. But the shift to Chinese owner ship has turned me off. Techtronics is Hong Kong. They may Milwaukee, AEG (AEG Powertools, licensed from Electrolux), Ryobi, Homelite, Hoover US, Dirt Devil, and Vax. I do use Ryobi for less expensive stuff because span for hand tools and yard equipment. So check don't care if it breaks. Otherwise Festool for high end.

When I bought my house I invested in the Dewalt 20V system... drill, impact driver, circular saw, jigsaw, and a few others. Even use the shop blower and line trimmer for when I need the convenience. I rotate 4 batteries, 2x 1.5 Ah and 2x 5 Ah batteries and everything is still running 100% 3 years of regular use later. The drill has hit the ground a few times, and the blower left outside for a couple weeks, and everything's still working.

I’ve been a contractor for over 30 yrs and when Dewalt came out with there flex volt batteries I went all in, we run multiple dewalt battery powered worm drive saws, there big dual battery compound miter saw, jig saw, drills, sawzalls, table saw, air compressor, nail guns (for small jobs) all on batteries. Going on a year and a half or two and my guys have only managed to break one sawzall and all the batteries are going strong. It’s a huge deal not having to deal with corded tools anymore, there 60 volt worm drives are as powerful or more then my mag 77’s, there all hanging in the tool shed now.

Milwaukee's claim to fame was always there drills, hole hogs and sawzalls. We see mostly plumbers and electricians running Milwaukee tools. Why cuz they mostly use drills and hole hogs. There drills are great I hate there sawzalls. There good tools and I have plenty of them, we just don’t use them anymore.

Small listing of who owns who

Stanley Black and decker

• DeWalt
  • Stanley
  • Black + Decker
  • Bostitch
  • Craftsman
  • Vidmar
  • Mac Tools
  • Irwin
  • Lenox
  • Proto
  • Porter-Cable
  • Powers Fasteners
  • Lista
  • Sidchrome
  • Emglo
  • USAG

• TTI​
  • Milwaukee Electric Tool Co.
  • RYOBI
  • RIDGID (“Orange”) red ridgid owned by Emerson
  • Empire Level
  • Hoover
  • Dirt Devil
  • Oreck
  • Stiletto Tools
  • Hart Tools
  • Homelife
  • VAX
  • AEG

• CHERVON
    • EGO
    • Skilsaw
    • Skil
    • FLEX
    • Devon
    • Xtron
    • Calmdura
    • Kobalt 24V (ODM for Lowe’s)

• ROBERT BOSCH GROUP
    • Bosch
    • Freud
    • Diablo
    • Dremel
    • RotoZip
    • Vermont American
    • CST/berger

Have to be careful about that.
View attachment 7332825
First has been around since sep 2013, 2nd Feb 14, third is April 2019. Last is current generation and is ~$140 for 1 tool. I would at mininum stick with brushless. I use my impact driver the most which I didn't expect.
Wait for Father's Day to see what sales happen is no Memorial Day sale fits you needs...

Some like the smallest battery 2 AH- For me, I only buy 5 Amp hour batteries...

Some like that the 2AH is light when doing simple screw driving jobs... I hate having a battery go flat during a small project...

My last set of 18V DeWalt, I had hit battery #12 when I retired the set 18 months ago...

If not for work- tax deduction, Look at battery cost too

I believe the FUEL Series is all brushless....

I'm a professional tractor taker aparter(boss makes me put them back together). I use a Milwaukee 3/8 m18v impact daily. I've ran it over dropped it left it out in the rain. It is 5 years old. It is the first tool out of the truck.

Reactions: Pre-64
Milwaukee fuel. But one thing I have noticed is look at the model numbers.
They have a lot of the same tool but different tool if that makes sense.
I use mine every day all day. From professional door installation to now mower tech. I've gone through 3 of the 5amp hour battles in 12 plus hour days on the 1/4 impact and have had it too hot to touch many times. It wont die.

I own a company and have machinery techs traveling the country. We have dewalt and milwaukee. Every person I wmployee has agreed that milwaukee is way better. My only problem is it's a 150k change...

I have been using cordless tools as long as they have been around. Lithium Batteries is when they came into true usefulness. I have used them all and Bosch is the only one I ever respected. It could be because they were my first lithium set, but Bosch Tools are the best to me. Quality stuff you can use and abuse.

My kids love Milwaukee. I have my sons cordless Milwaukee inflator at my house, Bosch has yet to make one. It is a bad ass tire or anything else inflator. I am jealous. :)

I have to ask... How many of you guys suggesting Milwaukee, use them professionally, all day every day? Speak up. We have a guy in the company whose brother in law is a Milwaukee engineer, it's why we started using them a few years ago. Almost everyone has bought their own cordless tools, either Makita or Dewalt since. Only the guy with the family connection still runs them.
It's different if you have to buy your own vs a company that supplies tools. We buy our own cordless. If it were free we'd take whatever they were giving.

I work consulting in the service and body shops of car dealerships, back with the mechanics at scores of different stores. Milwaukee is the standard that I see professional mechanics (who buy their own tools) using most of the time now, and the high end tool trucks are also selling Milwaukee. There are plenty of snap on cordless impacts and ratchet users, but those guys all seem interested in the Milwaukee product too since it costs half as much. I see the occasional Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, or Ryobi, probably 10% of the time between all those brands. Milwaukee may have some minor issues, but I don’t hear many complaints and warranty service is good. Milwaukee is doing a great job of targeting the trades with specialty tools (like extended ratchets) that the other homeowner brands aren’t doing.

All my personal stuff, and there is a lot of it, is Milwaukee. I buy the Fuel brushless tools most of the time, but certain tools like my M12 screwdriver, are the brushed models. Dewalt does make a 8v cordless clutched gyro screwdriver I have that’s a lifesaver working on RC cars.

Last edited:
Change over by replacement or contact a local salesman. I bet they will deal with that price problem.
I own a company and have machinery techs traveling the country. We have dewalt and milwaukee. Every person I wmployee has agreed that milwaukee is way better. My only problem is it's a 150k change...

All my cordless gear is now AEG including the wife's mower, weed eater and leaf blower. My cordless impact driver just cost me 6 weeks off work for a shoulder reconstruction. 5" brushless angle grinder thinks concrete is butter.

We have a huge corded drill so the boss won’t approve the purchase and we don’t feel like pulling out the generator since it trips the breaker in the inverters. If we’re doing a lot of holes, we just use the hydraulics. The beast just collects dust and the little guy gets the job done most of the time otherwise.

We used a Cembre Sd-15 drill to drill sleepers.

Yesterday I saw at Lowes that DeWalt has a conversion kit that allows you to use the new 20v batteries on the old 18v tools.

I'm thinking I may give it a try. I've got shelves and shelves of old DeWalt tools that I just refused to keep dropping money on the old, overpriced 18v batteries which spurred my move to Milwaukee.

Retired woodworking and welding teacher here. I can't speak to the newer lines of Makita, but for durability on a daily basis, Makita held up the best in the hands of students who beat the shit out of stuff. I had a 5 inch corded Dewalt random orbital sander that shit the bed a week ago that I replaced with a corded Milwaukee. The Milwaukee is just OK, but not in the same league even though it cost more.

I use Milwaukee’s 1/2” hammer drill for concrete and masonry jobs, and their Sawzall if I need to destroy something. Both are corded. I use DeWalt cordless 18v hammer drills, but use the 20V to 18V adapter, since my stash of 18V batteries have finally given up. The 20V charges faster, the tool works harder and the battery powers the tools for longer. I try to buy the American-made tools whenever possible. If folks get to treating China and their poison goods like we used to treat Japanese goods after WWII, we will all be better off. China is letting us fund their train to world domination. Yep, I am paranoid 🐲

Milwaukee fuel series runs hard and takes abuse. Everything from the drill/driver to the leaf blower to the grease guns and torque wrenches for heavy duty equipment.

Reactions: Stevo86
Yesterday I saw at Lowes that DeWalt has a conversion kit that allows you to use the new 20v batteries on the old 18v tools.

I'm thinking I may give it a try. I've got shelves and shelves of old DeWalt tools that I just refused to keep dropping money on the old, overpriced 18v batteries which spurred my move to Milwaukee.
The thing about those old 18. Nicad batteries is they can be rebuilt for less than 1/2 the cost of a new battery. You can't get the lithium ion batteries rebuilt. They all use proprietary cells.

My personal set is all 18V nicad Dewalt. The ones on my work truck are 20V Dewalt. I like them better than the 18V, lighter more power but until the 18V tools die I'm not going to upgrade.

Last edited:
I use a lot of Milwaukee power tools, I do oilfield electrical work and they get beat to shit. They see rain, mud, dust, diesel, oil base mud and just really nasty stuff, not including accidental drops from 10-15’. That being said in the last 3-5 yrs I’ve been thru 2 drills and 3 1/4 impacts, the 1/2 impact has been great and used probably the most, I had one battery catch fire which was one 1/4 impact failure as the battery wouldn’t come out, while they have good power and work great when they work I barely use the 1/4 impacts anymore I went to a snapon 3/8 drive and it is amazing, very small and light weight and has unreal power for the size and a 14 volt lithium battery. I use a Milwaukee sawzall quite a bit and it has been great, I’ve bever really been a fan of dewalt not sure why just never liked them I’ve used some buddies out on the rigs and they seemed fine, before Milwaukee I had used makita a lot.

Looking for some new battery powered hand tools, drills circular saws soon and so on, whats the better tool? Seems to be similar in price so looking for the better quality.
Black and decker bought out dewalt years ago and they became expensive B and D crap.

Pro welder here.

Everything is red on my truck.

Milwaukee tools have not let me down. A lot of guys here don’t seem to be comparing apples to apples. Older gen older battery Milwaukee is not going to be better than new brushless flex vote dewalt.

I run all m18 fuel drills, drivers, impacts, shop vac, and most of all my grinder. All my tools get used hard. My grinder has been through hell and back. I have yet to use another cordless grinder that runs as good as my Milwaukee with the new High Output batteries. I honestly don’t remember the last time I used a corded grinder.

I’ve used dewalt stuff but have never really been impressed by it.

One thing I will give dewalt and makita is US manufacturing. Really wish Milwaukee would do that

Reactions: Redmanss
I run milwaukee power tools everyday. They have been holding up just fine. Impacts, hammer drills, band saws, recip saws, even grease guns. The added bonus for me is the three milwaukee heated jackets I use during the winter that take the same batteries.

Little late to this game, but eh

I use dewalt at work and home. The cordless impacts 20v die about once a year...the 3/8 drives have no ass at all...maybe 100ft lb...max. the 1/2" dr is marginally better but we have broken them routinely too...like catastrophic failure.

Just used a 1/2" drive milwaukee impact this weekend at a buddies shop to do leaf springs on a 20 year old rust belt dually....thing was a hoss!

No comparison...night and day! The milwaukee far out performs the dewault....my hand is still sore from it...only had to use the smokewrench once.

Shred

Pro welder here.

Everything is red on my truck.

Milwaukee tools have not let me down. A lot of guys here don’t seem to be comparing apples to apples. Older gen older battery Milwaukee is not going to be better than new brushless flex vote dewalt.

I run all m18 fuel drills, drivers, impacts, shop vac, and most of all my grinder. All my tools get used hard. My grinder has been through hell and back. I have yet to use another cordless grinder that runs as good as my Milwaukee with the new High Output batteries. I honestly don’t remember the last time I used a corded grinder.

I’ve used dewalt stuff but have never really been impressed by it.

One thing I will give dewalt and makita is US manufacturing. Really wish Milwaukee would do that

What's your "secret" on the grinder? Because my Milwaukee grinder has such shitty battery life that it's only really useful with a wire wheel for short cleanups between weld passes. There's no way I can use it as a substitute for a real grinder with discs, cutoff wheels, tiger paws, etc.
Does the brushless version really transform it into a useful animal?

What's your "secret" on the grinder? Because my Milwaukee grinder has such shitty battery life that it's only really useful with a wire wheel for short cleanups between weld passes. There's no way I can use it as a substitute for a real grinder with discs, cutoff wheels, tiger paws, etc.
Does the brushless version really transform it into a useful animal?
If you are using the non fuel version it’s a useless turd. Model 2780 is what I use. The new high output batteries make a big difference also. 6.0, 8.0, 12.0

Reactions: Redmanss
Totally agree on going brushless, night and day difference. Pay the money and read the specs before buying.
If you are using the non fuel version it’s a useless turd. Model 2780 is what I use. The new high output batteries make a big difference also. 6.0, 8.0, 12.0

Thanks for guidance, gents.

I've got a mix of the Fuel and non Fuel tools and a pile of the high output batteries. With the drills and drivers I don't know how much difference I've bothered to notice. Your description of the useless turd certainly sums up the non Fuel grinder, even w a 12.0 battery. I didnt plan on it replacing the Metabos, but half the time I just stick with a wire brush vs lugging the cordless grinder around to go dead on me after a few minutes of actual use.
The flex volt DeWalt grinders I've used were damn near replacements for corded grinders, unless I was really fucking some shit up, which is where I appreciate the difference between a Matabo and everything else.

Speaking of Metabo, I have some "real" ones, and picked up a couple of the Hitachi/metabo versions for next to nothing at Lowes right after the name change. I haven't even taken them out of the box, figuring they'd be dedicated as an Aluminum-only and a Stainless-only tool for those rare occasions.

Do y'all have any experience on how the Hitachi versions compare? For the price difference I'm not optimistic.

Thanks for guidance, gents.

I've got a mix of the Fuel and non Fuel tools and a pile of the high output batteries. With the drills and drivers I don't know how much difference I've bothered to notice. Your description of the useless turd certainly sums up the non Fuel grinder, even w a 12.0 battery. I didnt plan on it replacing the Metabos, but half the time I just stick with a wire brush vs lugging the cordless grinder around to go dead on me after a few minutes of actual use.
The flex volt DeWalt grinders I've used were damn near replacements for corded grinders, unless I was really fucking some shit up, which is where I appreciate the difference between a Matabo and everything else.

Speaking of Metabo, I have some "real" ones, and picked up a couple of the Hitachi/metabo versions for next to nothing at Lowes right after the name change. I haven't even taken them out of the box, figuring they'd be dedicated as an Aluminum-only and a Stainless-only tool for those rare occasions.

Do y'all have any experience on how the Hitachi versions compare? For the price difference I'm not optimistic.
Mobile welding is my full time job self employed. My Milwaukee definitely replaced corded grinders for me. It’s exceedingly rare that I need a corded one, and if I do it’s usually the big one. I carry 2 6.0s, 2 12.0s, and a couple 9.0s. I don’t think I’ve ever killed all of my batteries in one day.

Can't speak to the hitachi grinders, but I have a couple hitachi nailers that I really like. Mostly because of the weight. I tend to use them more than my older paslode and Freeman's. They haven't quit yet? As for grinders, the older Metabos are tough to beat, I have a Milwaukee corded grinder that won't quit either. All my grinders are corded, so...I'm not much help.

I've got a set of Rigid that I got at Home Depot they work great and have a lifetime warranty on the batteries which I have used twice so far, no questions asked. Just took bad ones into the store and they gave me a new one.

Black and decker bought out dewalt years ago and they became expensive B and D crap.

Dewalt actually got better when that happened.

A big part of the confusion is the multiple lines. I have nothing but good to say about the fuel tools. Co-worker bought the "brushless" line and they were garbage. 600in-lb vs 1400in-lb in the drill.

I'll throw my vote in for Ryobi. I built the house we live in without a cord on anything except the chop saw, the table saw, and the planer.

Used to run all Makita , but now only run Makita corded and Metabo for battery-powered stuff.

The reason Makita is no go anymore was that their battery chargers got fried way too many times, as they were far too sensitive to carbon fiber dust that is very conductive, back then we were doing a lot of carbon fiber work . Metabo seems to have things sorted better than Makita.

But like mentioned many brands sell low and high-end stuff, for 99$ or less you can't expect top-notch gear.
Also, cheap deals often include only the lowest capacity batteries that are just about useless for professional work.

Last edited:
When I worked offshore the maintenance dept was using DeWalt but we had too many failures. As the tools wore out we replaced them with Milwaukee and the failure problem became almost a non-issue. For certain tools like cutoff tools and grinders for the welders we used Metabo.