• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

mini-14 accuracy???

rackchaser71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
myakka city FL
wal mart has a pretty good deal on one right now but i was wondering how the accuracy is on these guns, ive always heard they are very tough, it will be a "truck" gun, are they worth 600$???

Re: mini-14 accuracy???

No, they are not worth the money.

They are not known for their accuracy. Guy I know recently bought one against my advice, and the thing is lucky to hit a basketball @ 150yds. You can "accurize" them, but even then they are nowhere near an AR.

Pony up an extra couple hundred bucks and get an AR15. You won't be dissapointed.

Accuracy of a Mini-14...Minute of Barn!!!!

Seriously...the new "target" versions are capable of MOA accuracy with match ammo, but the rack-grade models that Wally World, etc. usually carry are poor, pooor, pooooooor performers!!!

Like orkan said...spend a little more and get an AR. You can get a decent AR-15 carbine that will make an excellent "truck gun" and be capable of battle rifle accuracy with iron sights and half-decent ammo (2-3MOA or maybe even a little better).

well thanks guys, ill look in a different area, my current truck gun is a 22mag, i was thinking of getting something a little bigger, ill just hawk the pawn shops and maybe get lucky, im never gonna own a gun that is questionable, if you have no confidence in your gun you might as well throw it at him

Definately look into the AR. Ruger mini 14 is no different than any other ruger, nice finish, expensive, not accurate

Another dissadvantage is the mags. I own a mini-14 and the only magazines I have found that work well at all cost $100.

Compare that to the AR. You can get top of the line mags for $14 (pmags).

In my opinion, Mini-14's are not worth their current price. When they were around $400 they were ok. No it will likely not be as accurate as an AR but it all depends on what <span style="text-decoration: underline">you</span> want. Again in my opinion, no mini is worth $600. Especially when the price of AR's and parts have come down.

Gone are the days of crack head Mini mag prices.

In the last 6 months or so Ruger has started selling 20rnd and 30rnd mags to the general public.

CDNN 24.99 for 20rnd 29.99 for 30rnd. If you have a FFL or C&R on file 10% off that price.

I read the title of this thread and laughed. Before I even opened it I wondered "I hope this guy isn't wondering why his Mini doesn't shoot......"

Followed shortly there after with:

"I hope he isn't planning on trying to make this accurate......"

And just as the page opened, I remembered my one and only Mini experience.

I was zeroing it on a standard paper plate, back on the farm. 1 or two shots from a 20 round mag would not land on the plate. To say it would not hit a pie pan at 100 yards is NOT an exaggeration.

If someone wants to shoot you with one, you don't even need to duck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: packratt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gone are the days of crack head Mini mag prices.

In the last 6 months or so Ruger has started selling 20rnd and 30rnd mags to the general public.

CDNN 24.99 for 20rnd 29.99 for 30rnd. If you have a FFL or C&R on file 10% off that price. </div></div>

It has been over a year since I even looked. That is good news.

My father has one of the older mini-14s, not one of the newer hammer forged ones. Anyway with 55g ball the best it ever did was 7 MOA-ish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If someone wants to shoot you with one, you don't even need to duck! </div></div>

LOL pretty funny

They are not THAT bad. Adjusting the gas block and putting on a muzzle brake will usually make one a decent shooter. On the other hand, one will never shoot as good as a decent AR. PM me or browse through the info on Perfect Union's website if you decide to get the Mini 14.

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are not THAT bad. Adjusting the gas block and putting on a muzzle brake will usually make one a decent shooter. On the other hand, one will never shoot as good as a decent AR. PM me or browse through the info on Perfect Union's website if you decide to get the Mini 14.

Kelly </div></div>

Sorry, but that is like trying to polish a turd!! Sure, you can do it, but at the end of your "polishing"...it is still a turd.

mini14target.png

Just sayin' . . .
grin.gif

I would get an AR15. For a few bucks more than a mini14, you will have a much better rifle. In the long run, ammo is going to cost more than the rifle price anyway, so you may as well have something with decent accuracy that you will enjoy.

I have always wondered why the A-Team couldn't hit shit with their Mini-14's. Thank you for clearing this up fro me
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2brothers641</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definately look into the AR. Ruger mini 14 is no different than any other ruger, nice finish, expensive, not accurate </div></div>

I'll agree with you on the mini, it is not that accurate of a gun, it is fun to shoot, but not worth the current price. As for the generalization of Rugers, I must disagree, my M77 25-06 will put 5 100 gr. SMK's into 3/8 in @ 200 yds on a good day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are not THAT bad. Adjusting the gas block and putting on a muzzle brake will usually make one a decent shooter. On the other hand, one will never shoot as good as a decent AR. PM me or browse through the info on Perfect Union's website if you decide to get the Mini 14.

Kelly </div></div>

Sorry, but that is like trying to polish a turd!! Sure, you can do it, but at the end of your "polishing"...it is still a turd.</div></div>

Call it what you want, but tinkering and trying to make a firearm more accurate is all part of the fun for some people. We probably wouldn't have the firearms we have today if people didn't buy them and try to make them perform better.

Kelly

There's some funny shit in this thread.

My Dad gave me a mini,in stainless ranch version. I used it my first year of 3gunning competitions, including the MGM Iron Man. Keep in mind that I was shooting iron sights (yes, the totally crap-tastic factory open sights that come with the mini), and the MGM IM is a very difficult match to shoot with iron sights.

I took a LOT of crap for shooting that gun, but I beat a lot of shooters that year with that mini. So, I've had a little different experience with the mini.

Ironically, my mini is not any more dependable than the ARs, and that is supposed to be a selling point of that platform.

Having said all that, I moved into the ARs - and have never looked back. It is a much better gun. Well worth a few hundred extra bucks. Much more flexible platform, unlimited options.

I have a Mini 14... it's a 99% 182xxx that's 28 years old. A detachable magazine semi-auto in Kalifornia (with no jail time) is a VERY GOOD reason to own a Mini 14. That's why I purchased mine.

When I found the gun the owner (in Ohio) told me it would shoot 1" and was in about 90% condition. I figured he was FOS, but the pics looked great so I had him send it out. The gun was in better condition than he described; it appeared to be completely unused. Not a scratch or ding on the wood stock, handguard, etc. Bluing 100%. VERY nice rifle. I haven't been able to shoot 1" with it yet... been within .25" of it though. It shoots extremely well and has never had a failure in the several hundred rounds I've put through it.

An observation on the Mini 14: Being from the PRK originally I've shot a bunch of these things. The older Mini's appear to be better built, more accurate, and far less picky about magazine selection. It appears to start at about 185 and go back. Over the years I've shot/owned/worked on ranch rifles, GB's, the new 580 blended versions, and the true Mini 14's. All three other than the older Mini's (about 185xxx and back) appear to like their own certain magazines, have more variance in specs, etc. I have had NONE of the magazine issues with the 182 series that I had with the 580, or the ranch... those things gave me problems even with factory Ruger mags. It's also more accurate than any of the newer ones including the GB's.

They're not bad rifles... some things just seemed to change after the 80's. Magwell specs seem to be just a little bit off, and most of the aftermarket mags don't seem to work well in them. I find that to be a huge coincidence considering it would probably take a couple years for production changes to take effect, and 1986 was the year that started Bill Ruger changing the company in favor of low-cap mags, LE instead of the rest of us, etc. I'm not suggesting that Bill Ruger would order minute design changes to rifles to tweak their ability to shoot well and take hicap mags... just find the timing very curious.

I would actually like to get my hands on one of the newer "target" models to see how much they have impoved. I would enjoy having one of these that shoots decent for Prairie Dog Plinkin ... just because I think its a cool rifle.

Minis seem to be, for the most part, a 3-4 inch at a hundred yards guns. Obviously some are better and presumably some are worse. What they are, though, is a short handy carbine that doesn't scare people like a black rifle and they are very reliable.
Those I've had were more reliable than the AR's.
Ruger sells the 20 and 30 round mags for $30-$40 at least last I checked, unless you live in a state that doesn't allow such dangerous things.

...yes, the old rugers could shoot...

...I had two mini 30's that shoot into 1.5 moa very consitantly @ 100yds, that live with family members now, and currently hunt with a 630# deerfield carbine (mini in 44mag) that shoots clover leafs @ 50 yds...

I've never shot an AR-type weapon, so I can't make a comparison.

My mini-14 from the 1980s shot into a paperback book at 100 yards freehand.

My new one shoots into half of that.

Each one of those shots, while not in the "one ragged hole" category,
is one food animal down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wal mart has a pretty good deal on one right now but i was wondering how the accuracy is on these guns, ive always heard they are very tough, it will be a "truck" gun, are they worth 600$??? </div></div>

I couldn't describe an Mini better than to call it a "truck gun". I loved mine. Granted, it was my first rifle-caliber rifle and I was 14, but I still have fond memories. And like most here, I could shoot 100y groups 2-3in off-hand with ease. The biggest issue I ever had was with after-market mags. I could never load the rifle with the action closed with anything but the factory mags. Don't bother with the 30 and 40rnd. Firing 20 in controlled, sustained fire will make the barrel searing hot.

$600 isn't bad, but I wouldn't say it's good either. Good used ones can be had for slightly less.

I truly believe that a good Mini-14 is better than a bad AR any day of the week.

Well I guess my experience has been a little different than most. I have one of the newer 580 Series Tactical with the ATI stock. It is very accurate IMHO. With a cheap red dot it will shoot 1" groups at 50 yards and 1.5" at 100 yards. I also have scoped this gun with a 3x9 Bushnell and it has shot 1.5" groups at 200.
The internet gives these a bad rap. I have had AR's that haven't shot good groups either. Right now out of my Mini, my AR's and hunting rifles I would not feel undergunned grabbing the Mini in a SHTF situation.

i think ill just hawk the pawn shops and pick up a used one, after all its going to be a truck gun, the pistol comes in handy alot with what i do but sometimes i need that 100 yard shotso i need to get another truck gun, hell a 2" group is fine, that will kill a yote deer or hog plenty good

Its your decision. But, I'm telling you, one shot out of 20 would not make into a 9 inch paper plate at 100. The rest were all over. That, to me, is unacceptable.

And I would venture to say that awful groups are much closer to the norm than small groups.