• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

mini-14 or mini 30?

sako.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2011
daytona beach FL
i have a chance to pick up either of these rifles right now semi local price is ok but i dont know good or bad with either. So plz give me some input

thanks

both are in stock form with wood stocks
it should be said i dont have plans for it other than little stuff at this time, just use it for a range toy.

so

mini 14

or

mini 30

Re: mini-14 or mini 30?

Of the two I'd say Mini 14, as it's 223/5.56...But (and I know this is not the answer you are looking for) I really say AR15 and I say that as someone who started with and still owns (for now) a Mini 14 stainless ranch model with the wood stock.

In my area you can buy a decent AR15 for about the same cost as a Mini 14 and when you factor in the cost of Ruger's proprietary mags which are the only mags that operate reliably in a mini versus the costs of stanag mags for the AR your actual cost of ownership for the mini is going to be higher than for the AR. That plus the minis are substantially less accurate than an AR and much less end-user serviceable when you have a problem. Example: you cannot even buy a replacement firing pin, if you break one you have to send the gun back to Ruger service to have one "properly fitted."

I'm not a mini hater, as I said that's what I started with, but I do think there are better options available for the money. If you do decide to go with the mini anyway, I have plenty of paid-way-to-much-for Ruger mags...
wink.gif

Best;

PLong

Between those two - do you want a 223 or 7.62x39? Same rifle different caliber

If you have no plans for the gun but just plinking. There is no reason to by a Mini 30. Mini 14 is going to be cheaper to shoot and be a little more accurate. In all honesty though, between an AK and a Mini, I don't think there is any comparison... AKs kick a Mini in the pants. This is, of course, my opinion, but the two big assault rifles are big for a reason... the AR and the AK. Mini is a super fun gun to shoot, though. You really are going to like playing with it, especially if you get a steal on the rifle.

I agree with Plong---Substantially less accurate than an AR is an understatement. I worked on reloads off and on for my mini14 for well over 20 years and the best it ever did was about 1.5" at 50 yds and that wasn't repeatable. The 100 yd groups were so sporadic it was impossible to sight in a scope. Of course this one was bought early 80's and I hear the new ones are a vast improvement.
Function and reliability were tops-the only times it ever malfunctioned were all due to aftermarket magazines or ammo.

It was the most fun gun to shoot I've ever owned-as long as you didn't expect any more than that. It had a bolt failure recently due to cracking. It never malfunctioned though. You can't just pick up a mini14 bolt off the ground and get back in the fight. They will not sell you one, and you have to send the gun to ruger to be properly fitted. I did this, and rather than repairing my gun they sent me a letter saying it was beyond repair and they made an offer to replace the gun with a new one for a price slightly lower than dealer price. I went with this option and sold the new one in the box, but in reality I'm still out a gun and only about $100 to show for it. I thought better of Ruger until I found they couldn't/wouldn't even fix their own firearm for a paying customer.
On the other hand, if you're getting a REAL GOOD price on the mini and don't intend to use it for anything requiring much accuracy, then by all means get it. It will after all add to your arsenal. Don't let my love/hate story turn you completely away. I'm simply reporting my experience. YMMV

I still have an old mini-14 & have had a couple of them & one stainless in the past .
they are good for a beater truck rifle if you need something MOA of Pumpkin for a couple hundred yards . BUT my AR is my go-to for light & accurate shooter when I am serious.
mini-14 A real good truck beater if you put a cheep folding stock on it .

<span style="font-weight: bold">& They were Cool on the <span style="font-size: 14pt">A-Team </span>also when I was a small child .</span>
-
motivator81677be2b333d61542cfa0d1cd1b2423ec14fca1.jpg

The Mini-30 is a darned good non-"assault rifle" carbine as long as you feed it brass cased Yugo ammo which is available right now. It is not all that happy with steel cased Wolf, Hotshot, etc.

Coincidentally AR15 uppers in 762x39 also favor the Yugo (due to firing pin protrusion/primer depth relationship), so if you buy a lot of the ammo and decide to switch platforms you are GTG with it in the AR.

It would be a good idea to own if you are only looking to fill your safe up. Other than that its a complete waste of time and money, no matter how good the deal is.

Two follow-ups to my earlier post:

1st: On the Mini 14 (.223/5.56 x 45) vs. Mini 30 (7.62 x 39) I strongly recommend that you don’t allow yourself to be enticed by the availability of cheap 7.62 x 39 ammo right now. The 7.62 x 39 market has been suppressed by several formerly Eastern Bloc countries having aligned with NATO and dumping their stocks of 7.62 x 39 (and/or 5.45 x 39, for that matter) ammo, converting to 5.56 x 45 and 7.62 x 51 to comply with NATO Stanag requirements. Once that surplus stock is gone 7.62 x 39 is definitely going to be more expensive than .223/5.56 x 45 IMHO.

2nd: On the whole “it’s a good beater truck gun” thing I used to agree with that as there used to be a significant price difference between the mini and a decent AR. That’s why so many were sold to local LE and Corrections. But at today’s prices you can pick up a beater but completely serviceable and reliable AR at or below the price of a mini. Unless you’re getting an incredible deal (at or below dealer cost) I’d check out DSA or the CMMG bargain bin before I’d buy another mini; heck I've even been seeing basic S&W M&P 15s being advertised at mini prices here in NEOH lately...again just my $.02…

The newer 580 series Mini-14 is considerably more accurate than the older 180 series mini's. The one I have now, which bought new in the end of 2008, can shoot 1" @100. Good enough for what it is. My Springfield "Loaded" M1A shoots 3/4" @100 on a good day. Maybe I'm lucky with this mini but thats what it shoots and I don't think you can expect too much more from most any semi auto rifle.

I have the Mini-14 in .223 cal. and except for a trigger job it's bone stock. My brother has a Mini in 6.8 SPC about the same time manufacture as mine (2008) and it shoots well also. We both had Mini's in .223 or 5.56 in the late 1970's which I believe were of the 180 series and they were terrible for accuracy. We both sold them by 1980 and hadn't bothered to own another until recently. The new ones (580 series) are quite an improvement. Their triggers suck though....Lawer triggers.

Talking of the Mini14's accuracy, a Hide member here said it better than anybody----bar none. Ol' Rob wrote the following in another thread on mini's:

Ol Rob
Staff Sergeant

Loc: Tifton, Ga. " I have a Mini14 I bought new in 1985 with the factory folding stock. It will go bang as well as any gun I own. Very reliable. For accuracy testing I take a Hula-Hoop and place it about 30 feet to my right on the ground. Then I shoot a ten shot group to 100 yards. Take the freshly fired upon target and compare it to the group of expelled brass in the Hula-Hoop. The brass generally wins. But it is fun to shoot!"
Rob
laugh.gif

Now THAT's funny! I don't care who you are. Thanks again Rob. Mtrmn

i am kinda looking to just put some different stuff in the safe, that can be taken out when i want will go bang, and secondly i dont care for the AR look myself. i can get the mini 30 in private hands for 600 obo and the 14 for 500ish. the 14 is a newer serial # and comes with 4 metal mags (ruger). I know mags and accessories dont mean much for value.

i am just to the point i have 6 rifles, 2 dozen shotguns, and number of handguns, so as i said i am only looking to add something new/different. All my guns will go to my kids when old enough and smart/responsble to own them.

thanks for all the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sako.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am kinda looking to just put some different stuff in the safe, that can be taken out when i want will go bang, and secondly i dont care for the AR look myself. i can get the mini 30 in private hands for 600 obo and the 14 for 500ish. the 14 is a newer serial # and comes with 4 metal mags (ruger). I know mags and accessories dont mean much for value.

i am just to the point i have 6 rifles, 2 dozen shotguns, and number of handguns, so as i said i am only looking to add something new/different. All my guns will go to my kids when old enough and smart/responsble to own them.

thanks for all the info. </div></div>

O man, I know it's your money, but I hate that reply. 6 rifles, and you think your $500 is best spent on a Mini?

I could think of 30 other rifles I'd rather own for $500 or less that would be a way better safe filler. Save another $200 and I could think of another 70.

My mini was the worst rifle I ever owned. But hey, it's your cash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sako.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am kinda looking to just put some different stuff in the safe, that can be taken out when i want will go bang, and secondly i dont care for the AR look myself. i can get the mini 30 in private hands for 600 obo and the 14 for 500ish. the 14 is a newer serial # and comes with 4 metal mags (ruger). I know mags and accessories dont mean much for value.
</div></div>

Save your money, I am another one who bought a Mini14, and quickly found out that it wasn't what I wanted. If you just want to go bang, buy it, if you must.

well other "filler" would be a m1a/garand. I am also looking at a 6.5/284 single shot bolt gun a good friend has savage 10F if i remeber correctly, but that is more $$

In a pinch, either would make a fine emergency canoe paddle. That's the best thing I can say about those abominations other than they do go bang when you pull the trigger.

buy a mini 30 and put a harbar on it and smaller gas bushing. you'll be shooting 1-2 inch groups with a gun that is just as powerful and reliable as an ak, but way more accurate. as far as the mini 14 goes, you might as well be buying a AR15 which is a way better 223 platform.

don't get me wrong, mini 14's are awesome and a blast to shoot (i own one) but like i said, the mini 30 is more superior in terms of power, and keeps the same accuracy. the only reason i would choose the mini 14 is for ballistics.

I will say AK again. Plop down some reasonable dough, and you can have yourself a nice AK.

I guess we all got away from the original question-which of the 2? I'd go with the mini14. I have much more confidence in the 556 caliber than most seem to. Ammo will be easier to get when times get a little harder in my opinion. What few parts you can actually buy for a mini will probably be more numerous in the 556 caliber.
I'd buy another one myself for a reasonable amount of money even though my first one didn't really turn out that well. At least I'd know what I was getting into. I still have the folding stock, mags, etc. I'd be very hard-pressed to give over about 400 for one though.

Did anybody mention that Mini14s AND Mini30s suck donkey balls? My Dad had 6 of them at different times as I was growing up, and I had one before I got an AR. We WANTED to like them, but you couldn't hit a paperplate with any of them at 100 yards. The triggers SUCK, and I watched the FCG fall out the bottom of two of Dad's while he was trying to shoot them. He spent time in the Army on an M14 and I KNOW he put his trigger group back in correctly. Whatever money you would put on a MiniAnything, save a bit longer and get an AR, or a real M1A from Springfield. I despise the Mini14 and Mini30. Yeah, you can make them more accurate.....but that's about like getting a boob job for an ugly girl. What's the point?

I have a friend who has both and he has had to send back both into Ruger for repairs a number of times. I think his problem is from firing cheap old surplus rounds that are too high in pressure. He still has extracting issues in his Mini-14, and the charging handle comes off randomly in the Mini-30.

Anyhow I would save your money and just build or get an Ar-15 or Ar-10. Also if you like that classic piston system look at getting a CMP M1 garand, or a M1A

I love the mini 14 - but I don't think it can come close to competing with an AR. The price difference is only a couple hundred bucks. Go with the AR. Not familiar with the mini 30 - have not shot it. But I doubt if it can compare with an AR platform 7.62

Buy a newer 580 and up series Mini 14 . The newer ones are much more consistent the the old pencil barrels . The newer ones are every bit as accurate as a AR in its same price range around 600-650 dollars . With a little time and a little love , My 581 is very close to MOA . I'm not talking a random MOA group here or there , have shot plenty of Sub groups , I'm talking averaging 1.1 in a 5 target 5 shot groups , all within 2 inch target . Try here for your Mini questions http://charlie6.org/c6forum/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=57c78450570da210969f14cffe88adcb . Good bunch of guys that know and enjoy the Mini platform . You ask about the Mini anywhere else , you'll get the same dogged response , and 99% have never owned one . Fun little carbines that fits like an Ole pair of sneakers

I've never owned a mini-14 or 30 but I spent a lot of time with a friends mini 14 trying to get it sighted in. We tried everything we could think of for a couple years (on and off of course) and the best we could get was a 5" group at 100 yards with factory loads. Granted, this was an older model, and my talent behind the scope has a long ways to go, the gun was just trash and he finally got rid of it. I am not sure if things have changed in the past couple of years, but the scope mounting options were not only pricey but awful. Of the two I'd take a shot at the mini-30!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The newer ones are every bit as accurate as a AR in its same price range around 600-650 dollars</div></div>

Not trying to start a fight here but as a 580 owner myself I highly doubt that. Even the mini diehards at Perfect Union don't usually make that claim. I completely agree the newer (580+) minis are a big improvement over the earlier models but I have really hard time believing any mini would be as accurate as an AR that isn't damaged in some way. BTW if you <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> consistently shoot MOA with your mini I hope I never run up against you in a comp with a decent rifle
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The newer ones are every bit as accurate as a AR in its same price range around 600-650 dollars</div></div>

Not trying to start a fight here but as a 580 owner myself I highly doubt that. Even the mini diehards at Perfect Union don't usually make that claim. I completely agree the newer (580+) minis are a big improvement over the earlier models but I have really hard time believing any mini would be as accurate as an AR that isn't damaged in some way. BTW if you <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> consistently shoot MOA with your mini I hope I never run up against you in a comp with a decent rifle
wink.gif
</div></div>

No worries , was a member of the Perfect Union for years ( still serving a 6 month ban ) , or not so Perfect Union now with the new ass clown ownership . I'm very close to MOA with my little rig , with no real special mods and stock barrel . Get some weight on the barrel so Running a Shrewed Varmint brake , ASI adjustable gas block , Gundoc Trigger , IOR glass , good bedding job , and most of all good hand loads . Mini is super fickle when it comes to hand loading . Used the Perfect Union MOA Club Target and rules for this last attempt . Five targets in a row , 4 of five needed to be MOA , contained in the 2 inch ring . This was 2 of 5 MOA , average 1.1 group size

Yeah , every one of my ARs will outshoot my Mini , but have yet to have a 600 dollar delton or whatever AR out shoot it .

Well...consider me impressed; that is some darn good shooting with a mini! You are the only one I've ever seen do that with a stock mini. Thanks for not taking my post the wrong way.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sako.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a chance to pick up either of these rifles right now semi local price is ok but i dont know good or bad with either. So plz give me some input

thanks

both are in stock form with wood stocks
it should be said i dont have plans for it other than little stuff at this time, just use it for a range toy.

so

mini 14

or

mini 30 </div></div>I would buy the Mini 30 myself.

Honestly man. You own 6 rifles, have $600 to burn, and your main goal is to fill your safe.

I know you said that you don't like AR's, but that is what you should get. I have never thought about buying a firearm specifically to fill the safe, but that rifle is like the color red in a 12 pack of crayons. Its missing and f@#king up your set.

Anyway, even if you don't like the look of em, you will love the way it shoots, and when you open your safe most people are drawn to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well...consider me impressed; that is some darn good shooting with a mini! You are the only one I've ever seen do that with a stock mini. Thanks for not taking my post the wrong way.
wink.gif
</div></div>

No worries at all . One thing to think about , is the newer 580 and up tapper barrels are hammer forged , and the ' Tooling ' marks in the barrel were good awful at best . Took quite a few rounds down range to smooth out a bit and start shooting , were talking like over 750 before the ugly cooper fouling slowed down

Back to the OP . One thing to think about is if you are going to reload . Brass is expensive and bullet choices are few with the big 7.62 ( 310 commy block barrel bore ) . And don't plan on shooting steel surplus , as the Mini 30 is hit or miss with the cheapo ammo . The hard no slam fire primers will play hell on the pin .

The OP's title is missing ...

... wrapped around a tree? One? Both?

If you want safe filler go buy an SKS.