• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mini Sam's senior year lost to ACL tear- tragedy

Seuss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2001
York, PA USA mostly
Several Hider's have had the chance to meet my son, nicknamed Mini, at various matches over the last few years.
3 years ago he decided to focus 100% on football.
Last year, his junior year, he battled with season long shin splints, ended up only playing offense (tight end), in pain constantly, but had a good season and surprised everyone by making the All County team.
Our athletic trainer, a Godsend, put together an off-season regimen to prep him for his senior year. He followed it as strictly as any 16-17 year old could be expected to.
Rolled into the season at 6'1", 190, and tested 2nd strongest on the team.
1st 3 weeks of pre-season camp and 2 scrimmages went by with only minimal irritation from the shins, he played both ways, TE, OLB and all special teams, played outstanding, 4 tackles for loss in 2 scrimmages.

Friday night we had our season opener.
Less than halfway through the 1st quarter he was crushing and driving a DB 15+ yards downfield (his forte), stepped the wrong way I guess, and blew out his ACL.
I will never forget the look on his face when he asked the trainer if he'd be able to rehab and play basketball or track, and was told that his high school career had ended that night.
At halftime we were down 7-0, and through tears in the locker room he told the team that they needed to win this one for him, as he would never step on the field in uniform again.
We crushed them and won 26-7.
Our starting QB showed an amazing amount of maturity by grabbing a ball the second the game ended, and telling the head coach he was awarding the game ball to Mini.
Been a tough weekend at home since, lots of tears and hugs.
My daughter asked the HS soccer coach if she could swap her jersey for #15, her brothers number. Something tells me no one better get in her way on the soccer field this year as she's playing for her big brother.
Thanks for letting me "talk" guys.

Attachments

• Sam P game ball.jpg
    Sam P game ball.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Sam P leads them out.jpg
    Sam P leads them out.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Sad to hear man but I'm sure he will emerge from this stronger than what he was before. God bless and wishing him a speedy recovery.

Just came from Dr's after reviewing MRI, completely torn ACL, sprained MCL and bone bruise.
Surgery next Friday, then start on the road to rehab.
He's handling things in his usual quiet way, so many people have made it a point to express their best wishes that I think he's uncomfortable with it.

Last edited:
sounds like he is in a lot better shape than I when I snapped my ALC into and tore 3/4 the way thru my MCL. Tell him to not go to fast after the surgery and for god's sake find him the best sports medicine doc you can to get it fixed. I know it sounds like a common fix but not all docs are the same. Had to get mine done twice. The second time around I went to a doctor that Dr. Andrews trained here at UAB Dr. Wolff. Dr. Andrew is the sports medicine orthopedic that goes out on the field sometime at the Alabama and Auburn games when players get hurt sometimes. I think in the sports world he is a world wide name. After the surgery don't let the re-hab people push to fast to soon even if he fells he can do it. On my first go around I was given a step up in weight to soon maybe and pulled the ACL bone graph lose. Now I don't know if the weight did it or a mistake by the doc and he didn't screw it off right. My first surgery was done by a student by overseen by the orthopedic doctor.

I am 41 and tore my ACL clean through one month ago. I had surgery with donated tissue two weeks ago and go in for my first PT session tomorrow. Whatever tissue is used, I have heardbenefits and drawbacks either way. with the right attitude and outlook your son will come out stronger as a person through this. I have heard in a year it should be nearly 90% as good as before, but it all depends how well PT is followed. Get a good orthopedic and a good physical therapist.

I did not have a sprained mcl, but a pretty good bone bruise and other sprains. Make sure you get a circulating ice machine and keep the swelling down with lots of RICE after the surgery. He will heal up very fast from the actual cuts and the bone drilling really didn't hurt at all, but some people it does. Use the pain medication as needed, no more and transition to ibuprofen or whatever your doctor recommends as soon as possible. The sprained MCL should not be much of a problem as it can heal with the ACL replacement as PT is done, same with the bones.

btw, my doctor is responsible for the US ski team and other cycling events in our area. Find a doctor with a lot of sport experience and make sure he does the surgery himself, not an intern like the guy above.

Last edited:
Also tell him to do more of the inside leg lefts after he get thru with the rehab office. I figure he'll do well have been in good shape when this happened. The inside quad was the hardest part to get to come back for me and I am still not built back like the leg that was not hurt. I would also look to get as many rehab visits as possible. My insurance would not cover enough for me and we had to go back and get some type of paperwork from the doctor to get a few more visits but it still was it enough. Maybe your insurance and his school stuff will help him out better than me. And I'm sure the rehab treatment he can do at home or the school gym just don't go to fast at first until the bone graph is good and grown together.

Thanks for all the + info guys, his surgeon has an extraordinary reputation, and is the "go to" Dr for this procedure in our area. He specializes in "pediatric" ACL's, and has us 110% comfortable w what he's planning.
He uses tendons from the hamstring as donor tissue and explained at great length why.
Our athletic trainer is 110 as well, he's almost an assistant parent to my kids, so we're good with where we are from a support standpoint.

I am just crushed by my son losing the chance to finish even a small part of his senior season. He worked so very hard for this.
His coach brought him out to practice tonight, had the team surround him, announced that he was naming him game captain for our 1st home game tomorrow night, and started crying.
Through this I have been re-assured by seeing how much of a quiet example my son set for his team mates, he's a young man of few words, but I've seen how much he meant to the team, coaches and program.
Let's hope he can be the 12th man and continue to inspire the rest of the season.
Helmet stickers w his number will be given out next Friday before the game, the same day he has his surgery, and the 1st game of his football career that he will miss.

Last edited:
Man, sorry to hear that. He will get over it and do well. Let him know there's plenty of thing in life more important than sports. Family, shooting, hunting , education, pretty girls and the list goes on. I am speaking from first hand experience as I was top recruit in my state and one of the tops in the country. I tore my shoulder up before my senior season started and could not play. I was supposed to be high draft pick and ended up going to college. I thought the world had ended, what little I knew then! Do the rehab and enjoy all life has to offer!

I think people that fight, struggle, fail, overcome and keep fighting learn a lot about life. Way more than the ones that don't have to overcome adversity. To me, looking back now, that's what sports are about anyway!

Prayers sent. I've torn 3 during my high school football career. It's been 4 years since my last surgery and they still get to me sometimes.

Surgery went 110, doctor said the donor tendon was perfect, he's been handing the pain very well, thanks to his 2 good friends oxycontin and codone!!